• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Rochdale 0-1 Southend United

Finally we drop Bonne and - although he hasn’t been mentioned yet - Moncur and we win. It’s not all their fault but the team looks so much more athletic, hard working and defensively secure without them. They may still have a role this season but they really need to get fitter first.

This was a hard groundout win away from home against a decent side who we impressively kept at arms’ length.

For all those wanting experience was this our youngest XI of the season? Andeng Ndi, Gubbins, Wind, Coker, Pepple and KAF when he came on lowered the average age and offered bags of energy whilst the experienced Taylor and Ralph (who are no slouches either) were excellent once more.

What a touch by Walker to set up his goal 🤣

Same again Wednesday please.
Walkers first touch was world class. Made their whole team commit while he tapped the ball home. Completely intentional ;-)

I'd be sorely tempted if I was Kev to not drop Wind. We are probably going to lose GSM in january/ summer, so giving him experience when he's playing well makes sense. I actually think GSM could do a job as one of the wider midfielders,decent on ball, superb cross and can certainly score- got to be worth a shot

Yes 100% - have been a supporter of the club for almost 50 years and there have been numerous examples where fans want players to fail. I think you sir are deluded if you think otherwise!
I’m comforted by the fact that KM is well experienced in how to deal with terrace abuse.

Kev said before the game that Rochdale are a well drilled side and it showed. Not many teams will come away from there with three points this season, which makes our endeavours today even more pleasing. It was a thoroughly professional display throughout. I like the pairing of Bim and Josh up front, thought George Wind was outstanding, Nathan also had a great game and it was good to see Collin looking more like the Collin of last season. That said, everyone contributed to a solid team performance today and that, for me, is something we have been missing in some of our matches in the past few months.

SOUTHEND United boss Kevin Maher added to his week of celebrations with a 1-0 win at Rochdale.

Maher, who turned 48 this week, took charge of the Shrimpers for the 150th time this afternoon on the third anniversary of him becoming the club’s head coach.

And he was delighted to bring up the double landmark with a hard-fought victory on the road.

“It’s aways nice to win and the manner of the performance made it nice too,” said Maher.

“It’s a really tough place to come and they’re a top side.

“They play very, very good football and ask questions of you.

“But our shape was good and we were a threat with the ball as well.

“Overall, to come away from home against a very good side and win with a clean sheet is excellent.”

The Shrimpers dug deep for their second successive 1-0 victory on the road.

And it was a close range strike Josh Walker which proved to be the difference between the two teams at Spotland.

“The goal was well worked from the throw in,” said Maher.

“Ralphy has kept it alive but I think Walks had a swing and a miss with the first shot before scoring but he deserved it because he’s been working his socks off.”

I thought he was too, to be fair. Took up good positions. Harried and hassled. Pressed here and there. I'd like him to have won more in the air, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thought opinions that he did nothing were a tad harsh. McLean is a former professional striker, he knows what he's talking about.
Personally, if you are playing upfront on your own, it's pointless winning headers, as they don't go anywhere, so maybe that's why he wasn't trying to win them and was concentrating on trying to hold the ball

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back