• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Rochdale 0-1 Southend United

Go on enlighten me. Give me examples of fans wanting players to fail? Just because a fan is vocal about a performance doesn’t mean they want them to fail.

I never liked John White, didn’t mean I wanted him to fail.

Players such as Nicky Bailey and Phil Gridelet both had marmite characters and I think it would be difficult to argue that some fans wanted them to fail.

Nile Ranger off the field antics were enough for many fans to dislike him to a point where they wanted him to fail (even when playing for Southend).

Every club unfortunately has a very small minority or racists. They are happy to get behind black/foreign players that are doing well for the club but are openly hostile to black/foreign players that they consider to be ****e. I am definitely not calling anyone here racist and respect the views others have on Bonne (he has been poor).
An example of this would be Dominic Iorfa, OK he played for us over 20 years ago but there were many fans that took great pleasure when he made an error. He was called Dominic Iorfall by many fans even when he played well!
Michael Ricketts would be another example, OK he was terrible for us but many didn't want him here even before he joined.

If you want an example of a Manger that many fans wanted to fail see Phil Brown (especially second spell).

Really, really good away win, in which everybody who got on the pitch played their part.

I will take 1-0 wins left, right and centre if it builds confidence and gets the boys into a winning habit.

I think we looked decent going forward, moved the ball quite well and did look a threat.

Most importantly, given the recent form and toxicity around the place, we looked defensively solid and went back to doing the basics well.

Get the basics right, get clean sheets and pick up wins, no matter how narrow, and it'll help to rebuild the floor that fell out of us recently.

Pepple and Walker worked well together. Felt they played closer together than many of our recent partnerships have done, which I've been crying out for, and they really helped us to have an energetic high press. We were constantly closing off Rochdale's passing lanes out from the back, something we had got really good at doing last season, and it slowed them down big time. They didn't know what to do.

My only small gripe is I wish we didn't drop off quite so much in the final 10-15 mins. As the away team, I'm happy for us to game manage and see out a 1-0 win, but I don't think we needed to drop quite as deep and invite them to attack us quite so much. We could have continued to hold a slightly higher line and not been on the ragged edge.

That aside, good stuff. Not one to get overexcited about as there is still loads of work to do, but a really impressive result especially away from home, and a big step in the right direction. Challenge now is to take confidence from it and to focus on the next game.

Oh, and George Wind very deservedly MOM.
I agree with you about the press dropping off and I mentioned that to my dad at the time. However, did you not think that was due to tired legs? Coker has just come back, Walker wasn't long before that and Pepple is still getting used to full time mens football. All were pivotal to the press in the early exchanges and I just felt they were knackered. It's something Kev has alluded to in interviews, being able to swap the front two. We could only do that with Bridge and Bonne. It's why I still think we'll sign another striker, so those two strikers can come on and press just like the starting two.

I agree with you about the press dropping off and I mentioned that to my dad at the time. However, did you not think that was due to tired legs? Coker has just come back, Walker wasn't long before that and Pepple is still getting used to full time mens football. All were pivotal to the press in the early exchanges and I just felt they were knackered. It's something Kev has alluded to in interviews, being able to swap the front two. We could only do that with Bridge and Bonne. It's why I still think we'll sign another striker, so those two strikers can come on and press just like the starting two.
It wasn't so much the high press. I knew that would drop off when Bonne came on and Walker/Pepple came off, as it's not so much Bonne'a game. I felt the fact that, as a unit, we dropped so deep was a bit scary and perhaps not necessary, and separate (for me) from the press.

Aaron McLean was commentating on DAZN and seemed to think Bonne was doing the right things when he came on.
I thought he was too, to be fair. Took up good positions. Harried and hassled. Pressed here and there. I'd like him to have won more in the air, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thought opinions that he did nothing were a tad harsh. McLean is a former professional striker, he knows what he's talking about.

Finally we drop Bonne and - although he hasn’t been mentioned yet - Moncur and we win. It’s not all their fault but the team looks so much more athletic, hard working and defensively secure without them. They may still have a role this season but they really need to get fitter first.

This was a hard groundout win away from home against a decent side who we impressively kept at arms’ length.

For all those wanting experience was this our youngest XI of the season? Andeng Ndi, Gubbins, Wind, Coker, Pepple and KAF when he came on lowered the average age and offered bags of energy whilst the experienced Taylor and Ralph (who are no slouches either) were excellent once more.

What a touch by Walker to set up his goal 🤣

Same again Wednesday please.

Finally we drop Bonne and - although he hasn’t been mentioned yet - Moncur and we win. It’s not all their fault but the team looks so much more athletic, hard working and defensively secure without them. They may still have a role this season but they really need to get fitter first.

This was a hard groundout win away from home against a decent side who we impressively kept at arms’ length.

For all those wanting experience was this our youngest XI of the season? Andeng Ndi, Gubbins, Wind, Coker, Pepple and KAF when he came on lowered the average age and offered bags of energy whilst the experienced Taylor and Ralph (who are no slouches either) were excellent once more.

Yes there absolutey felt a “freshness” in the side coming from Wind and Pepple particularly. Ralph was up and down that left side like nobodies business too!

Maybe as good as moncur appears to be in spells, he perhaps slows things down. Bonne is just nowhere near fit and can’t really be judged (or so you’d think lol). But for now, would definitely keep these two on the sidelines.

I suppose the question now is does Wind get dropped for GSM ?
Shouldn’t really break up a winning team, especially with all the MotM plaudits for Wind.

But GSM is our top scorer and arguably our best player

hmm 🤔

I mentioned Moncur… :Unsure:
But yes, I agree 100%!

Very good win. Tactics worked, away against a team who wanted to come at us was spot on. Luck went in our favour a couple of times and we walk away with 3 points. Lots of doubts but after a bad few weeks let's enjoy this one 😁

Big thumbs up to Colin who was faultless and made a couple of great saves too! Brilliant.

Last edited:

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back