• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Rochdale 0-1 Southend United

Go on enlighten me. Give me examples of fans wanting players to fail? Just because a fan is vocal about a performance doesn’t mean they want them to fail.

I never liked John White, didn’t mean I wanted him to fail.
This! We might moan before and after the event about certain players, but it doesn’t mean we ‘want’ them to fail!

I’ve been very critical of Bonne, but if he’d scored today I’d be as happy as anyone else. Criticising someone for a poor performance (IMO of course), doesn’t mean you want them to fail in the next match!

I did find your dislike of John White irrational though Ricey!

What a win that was. Proper old school win and exactly the type of win we have seen many times under Maher. We got the goal when it mattered and probably just about edged the first half. Second half was a bit backs to the wall but we stood firm and in truth Dale hardly troubled us other than a loose back pass from Ralph which Collin did well to save. Otherwise it was quite comfortable. Not sure how many fans were there but recon there was at least around 300 which is a good effort and great noise all game.

Collin - 7.5 commanded his area and made two decent saves. Kicking better
Ralph - 7 got the assit for the goal, one loose pass but otherwise solid
Crowther - 7.5 one of his best games for us
Gibbons - 7 solid and looks a lot more comfortable now than earlier in the season
Taylor - 7 the usual stuff and a couple of brilliant well timed tackles in the edge of the box
Wind - 8 MOM a brilliant full debut from him. More defensive than GSM but got forward really well but showed what he is all about
Husin - 7 back to his best and his work rate was incredible
Morton - 7.5 kept the ball moving and ticking over
Coker - 6.5 not his best game but showed glimpses of his best. Looked tired towards the end. Would expect Keenan to start Wednesday
Bim - 7 worked hard and showed some
lovely hold up play
Walker - 7.5 ran his socks off and got his reward. Fluffed the first chance but fell nicely to put the ball in.

Keenan- 7 added pace to a tiring midfield and got stuck in
Bonne- 6.5 did ok but nothing special
Bridge- 6.5 did ok and had one good run and surprised he didn’t shoot but again put himself about

Fans - 11 brilliant support from travelling shrimpers. We didn’t stop singing all game. A long day and won’t be hole til late but worth every mile. Get a result Wednesday and we will be on our way.

Does feel like we are turning a corner

I said pre-Eastleigh in the cup, that a win there could provide a great springboard for the season. It has really come into fruition. 2 clean sheets and two strikers scoring in the two fixtures is brilliant. Also, look at our bench today! Bridge, Appiah, Moncur and Bonne all on there. That's a proper squad. Get Miley and Waldron back and we will really fly up that table.

I said on here this week, that the whole season could be turned around in the next 7 days. Another positive result on Wednesday going into Saturday would really set us up nicely for the season. COYB's!!!

Really, really good away win, in which everybody who got on the pitch played their part.

I will take 1-0 wins left, right and centre if it builds confidence and gets the boys into a winning habit.

I think we looked decent going forward, moved the ball quite well and did look a threat.

Most importantly, given the recent form and toxicity around the place, we looked defensively solid and went back to doing the basics well.

Get the basics right, get clean sheets and pick up wins, no matter how narrow, and it'll help to rebuild the floor that fell out of us recently.

Pepple and Walker worked well together. Felt they played closer together than many of our recent partnerships have done, which I've been crying out for, and they really helped us to have an energetic high press. We were constantly closing off Rochdale's passing lanes out from the back, something we had got really good at doing last season, and it slowed them down big time. They didn't know what to do.

My only small gripe is I wish we didn't drop off quite so much in the final 10-15 mins. As the away team, I'm happy for us to game manage and see out a 1-0 win, but I don't think we needed to drop quite as deep and invite them to attack us quite so much. We could have continued to hold a slightly higher line and not been on the ragged edge.

That aside, good stuff. Not one to get overexcited about as there is still loads of work to do, but a really impressive result especially away from home, and a big step in the right direction. Challenge now is to take confidence from it and to focus on the next game.

Oh, and George Wind very deservedly MOM.

Last edited:
Thought everyone was solid today. Team worked well together and all pressed simultaneously. They seem to understand their triggers now. Was always going to be the case for the new players.

Onwards and upwards

Really, really good away win, in which everybody who got on the pitch played their part.

I will take 1-0 wins left, right and centre if it builds confidence and gets the boys into a winning habit.

I think we looked decent going forward, moved the ball quite well and did look a threat.

Most importantly, given the recent form and toxicity around the place, we looked defensively solid and went back to doing the basics well.

Get the basics right, get clean sheets and pick up wins, no matter how narrow, and it'll help to rebuild the floor that fell out of us recently.

Pepple and Walker worked well together. Felt they played closer together than many of our recent partnerships have done, which I've been crying out for, and they really helped us to have am energetic high press. We were constantly closing off Rochdale's passing lanes out from the back, something we had got really good at doing last season, and it slowed them down big time. They didn't know what to do.

Good stuff. Not one to get overexcited about as there is still loads of work to do, but a really impressive result especially away from home, and a big step in the right direction. Challenge now is to take confidence from it and to focus on the next game, which is a very winnable home game against Tamworth.

Oh, and George Wind very deservedly MOM.
Don’t we have Aldershot Wednesday?

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back