• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rio 2016 Olympics

I wonder how much of a mention Adam Peaty gets on American TV?

I'm sure it's just as bad to be fair. I was in Greece for the 2004 Olympics and finding tv coverage of anything not involving Greek athletes was a rare treat.

I still think the BBC could do a little better though. Over the weekend they billed Olympic Breakfast as the place to come to catch up on all the big overnight stories and it fell well short. We did get to see Charlie Stayt, Louise Minchin et al answering questions about themselves while doing the hula hoop though.

h5RAPwgkJOLao.gif

The coverage of the Paralympics barely makes the media in most countries (I believe), though to be fair before 2012, it was barely shown in the UK.

The coverage of the Paralympics barely makes the media in most countries (I believe), though to be fair before 2012, it was barely shown in the UK.

Personally I'd just mix the paralympic sports/games into the main olympics. I'm always a bit 'sported out' after the regular olympics and I think the paralympics suffers from that a bit, plus the fact it does seem weirdly divisive - blend the athletics events together and merge some of the cycling/road running/indoor sports so that you get better crowds who are seeing more events in a day ticket.

I'd get rid of golf and tennis from the regular olympics (my view is that for sports in the games, the olympics should be the pinnacle - it clearly isn't for tennis and golf.) to free up some scheduling space.

Personally I'd just mix the paralympic sports/games into the main olympics. I'm always a bit 'sported out' after the regular olympics and I think the paralympics suffers from that a bit, plus the fact it does seem weirdly divisive - blend the athletics events together and merge some of the cycling/road running/indoor sports so that you get better crowds who are seeing more events in a day ticket.

I'd get rid of golf and tennis from the regular olympics
(my view is that for sports in the games, the olympics should be the pinnacle - it clearly isn't for tennis and golf.) to free up some scheduling space.

Completely agree, though I'd drop football too. Crazy that it's an Olympic sport when we have the World Cup as well.

Football at the Summer Olympics is older than the World Cup!

Decent line-up of events - and at sociable hours - tonight.

Never knew that - was dropped in 1932 due to the invention of the World Cup but in Berlin in '36, Germany wanted back because it was guaranteed money into the Nazi regime. #thankswiki

Never knew that - was dropped in 1932 due to the invention of the World Cup but in Berlin in '36, Germany wanted back because it was guaranteed money into the Nazi regime. #thankswiki

I'm not really bothered about the Olympic football either, but it is a big deal in South America for sure. Brazil consider their lack of an Olympic gold as something of an embarrassment.

Early days, but rugby sevens looks like a good addition to me.

But what does poor old squash need to do to get a nod?

I'm not really bothered about the Olympic football either, but it is a big deal in South America for sure. Brazil consider their lack of an Olympic gold as something of an embarrassment.

Early days, but rugby sevens looks like a good addition to me.

But what does poor old squash need to do to get a nod?

I know. They're talking about adding "speed climbing" and skateboarding into 2020. These are "sports" I did when I was 12.

Why not extreme yo-yoing and Paradroid?

I'd get rid of golf and tennis from the regular olympics (my view is that for sports in the games, the olympics should be the pinnacle - it clearly isn't for tennis and golf.) to free up some scheduling space.

They had that discussion around London 2012. The paralympics organisation and the athletes themselves are against it and are fiercely independent.

Yep agree with you about the amount of medals given out in swimming. I have always thought they should have a limit on the amount of events one individual can enter.

I understand what you're saying, and why you're saying it but completely disagree. If someone is so talented that they're able to do that why should we stifle him? To give others a chance? If he's better than them then they need to get better.

Well done Tom Daley and Dan Goodfellow on winning their bronze - about the only bit of the Olympics so far I've genuinely chosen to watch.

Boy did the women's rugby sevens team blow it. I'm assuming that the shellacking they got from NZ in the semi was still playing in their minds come the bronze match as Canada just beasted them.

So, two bronzes for GB yesterday - odd that Tom Daley in his micro trunks makes all the front pages (and, occasionally, Danny Goodfellow too), but shooter Ed Ling doesn't. Wonder why.

Boy did the women's rugby sevens team blow it. I'm assuming that the shellacking they got from NZ in the semi was still playing in their minds come the bronze match as Canada just beasted them.

So, two bronzes for GB yesterday - odd that Tom Daley in his micro trunks makes all the front pages (and, occasionally, Danny Goodfellow too), but shooter Ed Ling doesn't. Wonder why.

yeah they were completely blown away.

The first half of US vs Venezuela in the basketball was great fun, with Venezuela level in the 2nd q. But once the US got their head around the stricter foul regs in Olympic basketball they were fine. Some of the US team are completely out of sorts (Thompson), and Venezuela's best player is Kobe's cousin and dropped 19 points, mostly from range. Also it's amusing how much effort Melo puts into the olympics, especially after this...

[video=youtube;rSNzV7DYjlw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSNzV7DYjlw[/video]

Daley gets all the plaudits for doing exactly the same as he did in 2012. I don't understand the hype around him he just hasn't got any better. And as for the synchronised partner that's just a joke.

Team GB are not doing very well a few let downs overall and our medal tally so far is poor. I can see us being lucky to get over 10 golds at this rate.

Gutted for Yafai and Fowler in the boxing thought they were going to get medals. Fowler unfortunately drew the expected gold medal winner in the prelims and got schooled.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back