• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rio 2016 Olympics

Anyone bothering with the opening ceremony? It's apparantly "analogue", substantially cheaper than Danny Boyle's spectacular, and starts about midnight.

I'll be well tucked up in my pit. :smile:

No...I only watched the London one because it was London. Still not sure how much live action I'll watch. All the athletics finals will be well past midnight...

No...I only watched the London one because it was London. Still not sure how much live action I'll watch. All the athletics finals will be well past midnight...

By pure coincidence I'm off work in about an hour for two weeks. Next week is flying, the week after that we're in the New Forest. I could well watch more than I watched live last time around when I was at work.

As for the opening ceremony, I don't think i'll bother.

First things I will be interested in

Mens Road Race tomorrow
Womens Sunday
TTs Wednesday

Then the Track, but its a going to be a case of recording the highlights if I can find out when they are being shown.

Might watch the sailing, just to see whether there are any bodies to negotiate.....

Anyone bothering with the opening ceremony? It's apparantly "analogue", substantially cheaper than Danny Boyle's spectacular, and starts about midnight.

I'll be well tucked up in my pit. :smile:

I stupidly stayed up for it (4 hours of my life i will never get back). To say it wasn't impressive, would be paying it a compliment.

I'm not overly impressed with it so far, but it's early days so I will reserve judgement until it's finished.
Just a shame it's getting quite a negative press about the crime, half empty stadiums and the cancelling of events such as the rowing etc.

Well the crowds aren't great and some of the organisation does seem a little ropey, but I'm still completely hooked. Rugby 7's has been great and I was well into the fencing as well. Glad to hear that van Vleuten will be fine.

Must credit Pubey for spotting this one on Twitter

Our first Gold and Silver in the GB bank. Well done Adam Peaty for the gold, and Jazz Carlin for the silver. World record too.

Our first Gold and Silver in the GB bank. Well done Adam Peaty for the gold, and Jazz Carlin for the silver. World record too.

Yeah great effort in the swimming, shame they were on so late.

I gave up on Spain vs Croatia in the basketball at half time because it looked like Spain would boss it, but Croatia (the underdog) staged a fantastic fightback. Worth watching the 4th quarter highlights

One little Olympic moan - the coverage on the BBC is becoming inbcreasingly, ridiculously, parochial.

I started watching Olympic Breakfast this morning and, understandlably, Adam Peaty's sensational performance was lead item. No issue with that.

Then Jazz Carlin. Again, her silver deserved credit, but there was NO mention of the fact that she was second to Katie Ledecky, who smashed the WR by nearly two seconds.

It wasn't until 6:37 that they saw fit to mention Michael Phelps' 19th Olympic gold (I have an issue with the amount of medals given out in the pool, but they are there to be won and Phelps has done it time and time again.)

Of course we all want to see Team GB athletes do well, but it's not just about us, BBC...

One little Olympic moan - the coverage on the BBC is becoming inbcreasingly, ridiculously, parochial.

I started watching Olympic Breakfast this morning and, understandlably, Adam Peaty's sensational performance was lead item. No issue with that.

Then Jazz Carlin. Again, her silver deserved credit, but there was NO mention of the fact that she was second to Katie Ledecky, who smashed the WR by nearly two seconds.

It wasn't until 6:37 that they saw fit to mention Michael Phelps' 19th Olympic gold (I have an issue with the amount of medals given out in the pool, but they are there to be won and Phelps has done it time and time again.)

Of course we all want to see Team GB athletes do well, but it's not just about us, BBC...

Yes that's valid point. Djokovic is out as well, which is a big shock, and the hosts drew 0-0 with Iraq(!) in the football.

Yes that's valid point. Djokovic is out as well, which is a big shock, and the hosts drew 0-0 with Iraq(!) in the football.

That Iraq result wasn't mentioned at all on the Beeb (at least in the 50 mins that I watched) :nope:

Props to Ellie Downie in the gymnastics who landed on her neck during her floor routine but insisted on then doing her vault. Tough Cookie.

Shows how little is getting through onto the BBC TV. No idea Djoko was out, Murray(s) lost in the doubles, and the William Sisters are out. Pretty poor TV coverage this year on the news.

Shows how little is getting through onto the BBC TV. No idea Djoko was out, Murray(s) lost in the doubles, and the William Sisters are out. Pretty poor TV coverage this year on the news.

That was all covered in the BBC bulletin at 0600.

Ahem, I was still in bed. However didn't catch it at 6.30 or 7, probably due to a little tyke watching Harvey Beaks/Sanjay & Craig/Spongebob (delete as appropriate). :blush:

I got up early to give Olympic Breakfast a go, but it wasn't all that so won't be doing so tomorrow!

Also had major disagreements with the boy about sport and not cartoons being on at that time but he was told to stick it.

Yep agree with you about the amount of medals given out in swimming. I have always thought they should have a limit on the amount of events one individual can enter.

The live coverage of the Katie Ledecky & Jazz Carlin race was pretty good with. I suppose the BBC are going to be a bit biased in the news/highlights after the event. I wonder how much of a mention Adam Peaty gets on American TV?

Also I need to listen to it again but our National Anthem sounded a bit weird in places with extra notes added? I also heard the American National Anthem and that also sounded a bit odd in places.

Yeah great effort in the swimming, shame they were on so late.

I gave up on Spain vs Croatia in the basketball at half time because it looked like Spain would boss it, but Croatia (the underdog) staged a fantastic fightback. Worth watching the 4th quarter highlights

I'm on holiday. I set the alarm and watched on my tablet in bed.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back