• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Potential new signings for this season

When i spoke to Ron Martin just before Christmas i asked have we been looking into lower league/non league players when we have had such a thin squad this season.

He said we wasnt interested in that calibre of player! Lets hope his ideas have changed.

I completely agree with you Smiffy. We cannot be left with a bench/first team of youths every week.

After all Ron keeps banging on about continuity recently. That would suggest he would want a squad of 18 pro's minimum at start of the season.....but then we all know Ron talks a lot without delivering!

Nice to see we're back to judging the squad for next season in May, rather than in August.

I couldn't agree more with BW2 on this... Just because Mr. Billericay Town has smashed 50 goals past a collection of builders, plumbers and cabbies this season doesn't mean he's anywhere near Football League calibre. It's alright taking a look at them, it's pretty clear that we've been looking at players, but doing well in the Essex Combination League is by no means worthy a trial or contract.

I hate people using Whelpdale as an example. He signed for Peterborough in time for the 07/08 season, the season after we'd just been relegated from the Championship and were looking to bounce straight back. Peterborough, on the other hand, were making a big deal in League Two about having bag fulls of money, Ferguson Jr. as manager and assembling a squad of non-league talent. Posh basically offered Whelpdale three years on a more lucrative contract playing regular first team football for Alex Ferguson's son.

Would you say it's worked out for Peterborough? Not half as much as Boyd, McLean and CMS have.

Nice to see we're back to judging the squad for next season in May, rather than in August.

I couldn't agree more with BW2 on this... Just because Mr. Billericay Town has smashed 50 goals past a collection of builders, plumbers and cabbies this season doesn't mean he's anywhere near Football League calibre. It's alright taking a look at them, it's pretty clear that we've been looking at players, but doing well in the Essex Combination League is by no means worthy a trial or contract.

I hate people using Whelpdale as an example. He signed for Peterborough in time for the 07/08 season, the season after we'd just been relegated from the Championship and were looking to bounce straight back. Peterborough, on the other hand, were making a big deal in League Two about having bag fulls of money, Ferguson Jr. as manager and assembling a squad of non-league talent. Posh basically offered Whelpdale three years on a more lucrative contract playing regular first team football for Alex Ferguson's son.

Would you say it's worked out for Peterborough? Not half as much as Boyd, McLean and CMS have.

Do you think Swindon had that thought in their mind when they signed Charlie Austin?

I would like to think we scout players from the 2 divisions below where we are + people getting rave reviews in a division or 2 below that. When we were in L1 the jump is massive for non-leaguers, but not so much now. Maybe this season is the time to try and get a few more in

Do you think Swindon had that thought in their mind when they signed Charlie Austin?

Charlie Austin was training with Bournemouth for 3 months before he signed for Swindon. The only reason Swindon actually got him was because Bournemouth were under an embargo and were refused.

Joe Martin has been released by Blackpool and Tilly needs to get on that phone to his agent pronto.

Good spot. I know he was at Spurs, but wasn't he a local lad?

Can play left back, left midfield and in the middle of midfield according to the Blackpool website. That could come in handy in such a small squad.

Someone else mentioned Nardeillo who had a loan spell at Bury as well I believe this season. Knows where the back of the net is thats for sure.

Also released was Al Bangura, the lad that was nearly deported when at Watford. Wasn't he linked to him before he went on loan to Brighton? Possibly another SZ rumour.

On another note, very surprised to see Demontagnac kept on for another season after there promotion. He was on loan at Chesterfield for the end of the season.

Naridello hasn't stepped foot South of Birmingham throughout his career, hasn't he?

Al Bangura's a very similar player to Grant I think and, whilst he might be a good player, with both Grant and JFC in the squad I can't see another defensive minded midfielder being of any use to us... We need midfielders who are capable of passing the ball and getting forward a la Guttridge.

Joe Martin, on the other hand, would be exactly what we need.

Naridello hasn't stepped foot South of Birmingham throughout his career, hasn't he?

Al Bangura's a very similar player to Grant I think and, whilst he might be a good player, with both Grant and JFC in the squad I can't see another defensive minded midfielder being of any use to us... We need midfielders who are capable of passing the ball and getting forward a la Guttridge.

Joe Martin, on the other hand, would be exactly what we need.

True about Naridello, but another name to throw into the hat. He may well have to come South if he wants to find a professional Club. Players can't be as choosey as previous summers.

Again, with Grant and JFC as holding midfielders we don't need to bring in another one like Bangura, but I've heard rumblings of JFC disappearing.

Martin could be a very handy signing.

Good spot. I know he was at Spurs, but wasn't he a local lad?

Can play left back, left midfield and in the middle of midfield according to the Blackpool website. That could come in handy in such a small squad.

He is indeed local. Born in Dagenham I believe.

The only downpoint about him is that he's Alvin's son. Perhaps we shouldn't hold that against him though.

Billy Jones, Lloyd Sam, Sam Sodje, Liam Chilvers, Steve Schumacher and Ben Burgess have all appeared on the PFA site in last day or two... I would be over the moon with any of those. Unlikely of course.

Anyone know much about Anthony Jack, a left sided midfielder released by the yids?

Sam and Sodje will probably stay at Charlton, won't they? Both were first team players last year.

Sam and Sodje will probably stay at Charlton, won't they? Both were first team players last year.

Charlton are effectively cutting their cloth, reducing their wage bill to avoid financial meltdown (sound familiar?). Like Norwich, it was absolutely imperative that they got promoted and Swindon knocking them out is a cataclysmic blow.

If they're out of contract, they'll have to go.

I doubt Sam is on much though. Sodje will probably be on decent money but Sam came through the youth team and this is the first time his contract has been up since he broke into the first team. It would be like Moussa here - yes we need to get rid of the high wage earners, but in Moussa there was an opportunity to keep a first team player who wasn't on huge money so he was offered an extension.

I doubt Sam is on much though. Sodje will probably be on decent money but Sam came through the youth team and this is the first time his contract has been up since he broke into the first team. It would be like Moussa here - yes we need to get rid of the high wage earners, but in Moussa there was an opportunity to keep a first team player who wasn't on huge money so he was offered an extension.

True, I was more aiming the statement at Sodje. I'd imagine Sam would still harbour hopes of playing in the Championship, mind, and I wouldn't be surprised if a club at that level offered him a deal. Millwall, if they were to go up, for instance...

True, I was more aiming the statement at Sodje. I'd imagine Sam would still harbour hopes of playing in the Championship, mind, and I wouldn't be surprised if a club at that level offered him a deal. Millwall, if they were to go up, for instance...

Newcastle where linked with a January swoop on Lloyd Sam. He has to be one of the most unrealistic names mentioned so far.

I saw this story on the BBC today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/g/grimsby_town/8709279.stm

Now, Bishop is a proven lower league goalscorer with 85 league goals in 204 league starts and a further 30 appearances off the bench.

Exactly the type of player we should be looking at in my opinion. A transfer fee will be required, which isn't ideal, but with potential income from Hooper's impending sell on clause, Francis' possible departure, Tilson maybe handed a couple of quid to bring players in with.

I saw this story on the BBC today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/g/grimsby_town/8709279.stm

Now, Bishop is a proven lower league goalscorer with 85 league goals in 204 league starts and a further 30 appearances off the bench.

Exactly the type of player we should be looking at in my opinion. A transfer fee will be required, which isn't ideal, but with potential income from Hooper's impending sell on clause, Francis' possible departure, Tilson maybe handed a couple of quid to bring players in with.

Spot on suggestion.

I am shocked the likes of Grimsby are in for him to be honest.

Go get him Tilly!

Back