• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Potential new signings for this season

Charlton released 6 players today - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/8700652.stm

Would certainly take Dickson, McKenzie and Warner, don't know what their wages would be like though. Don't know much about the other 3.

Bizarre they released the same players 3 days ago. Maybe they are all related ;)

Had an intersting conversation this morning. Don't know if it has been mentioned already but Billy Gibson of Watford to join us pre-season. Seems Tilly agreed this deal at a Reserve match recently.

http://www.watfordfc.com/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10400~44323,00.html

An exciting wide man who can operate on either flank!

Tilly struggling to find CBs, Baldwin was going to join but with Boothroyd leaving he now feels he may have a good opportunity at Col U, he also had two years left of his 'substantial' contract left, although becoming SUFC team Captain is a pull.

As well as Francis going, there have been enquiries about Mildy, Macca, Paterson, Grant and Moose.

Well, now most of the Football League Clubs have discarded their players they don't want for next season, I thought I'd write up a little summary of the types of players that are available and where we need to strengthen over the summer months:

Goalkeeper:

Currently we have Mildenhall and young Bentley. With Kelvin Jack gone, Bentley will find himself as our permenant number two, and should an injury occur to our number one I'm sure a loan signing will be brought. Aldershot recently released one of their senior goalkeepers and said you can't afford to have two senior goalkeepers on the wage bill. Mildenhall is likely to depart. Rumours of him rowing with RM, wanting to return to the West County and the likes of Swindon, Bristol Rovers and Yeovil all sniffing around suggest he will disappear over the summer. Now, the goalkeepers that are available are Rob Burch (confirmed he is leaving Lincoln City, ex Spurs youngster), Glenn Morris (released from Orient, local lad, likely to be cheap), Rhys Evans (Released from Bristol Rovers, former England under 21 international and Steve Wignall target). Now, Burch is rumoured to be in talks with Notts County and wants to try his luck higher up the football ladder, so we can rule him out. Evans was someone Wignall wanted to bring in, but was just breaking into the England Under 21 set up. Famously, he concedeed a Nicky Nic corner at Roots Hall in a Southend win, and now finds himself without a Club. An ideal target, won't be on much money, and will be desperate to play having played second fiddle all season to a loanee from Reading. Finally, Morris. I could well see him being our number 1. Local lad, won't have to relocate, and would be cheap. Second choice at the Orient, but has a lot of experience having battled with some degrees of success with various other Orient keepers. Other players out there, that may or may not be available are David Button at Spurs, who excelled on loan in League Two with someone whose name escapes me. Also, Owain Fon Williams is likely to be part of a mass exodus at Stockport.

Left back:

Now, Johnny Herd has signed for another season and Adam Barrett can play there as well. Herd has shown himself to be very naive defensively, and Barrett is rumoured to want out as well. Likely candidates for the left back slot are long term target Billy Jones who is out of contract at Crewe as of 1st July. Our interest in him goes back to November of last year. Was first choice for Crewe earlier on in the season then picked up an injury and, like Barnard, made it clear he didn't want to stay there and hasn't figured since. Daggers showed an interest in him in January, but Crewe wanted a fee which put them off. Daniel Jones, who has been released from Wolves and is a favourite of SZ rumours, is another guy whose name will chop up but expect him to sign for Bristol Rovers, who he finished the season on loan with. Another name I will throw in the hat is David Buchanan who has been offered a new deal at Bury. Rates himself as the best left back in the division, so isn't lacking in confidence. Haven't seen him play, so I couldn't comment but is one from left field.

Right back:

Now, Sankofa is gone and Francis is half way out of the door following news of a bid being accepted for him. I don't know about many right backs being available, so can't comment on potential replacements for Francis, but a name that has cropped up previously is Ashley Miller from Concord Rangers. Former West Ham youngster, who has earned rave reviews with the non-league side. Again, never seen him play so couldn't comment if he could make the step up, but is a local lad desperate for a chance in the football league. Won't command much of a fee or a wage, plus he wouldn't have to relocate either. Worth a trial for sure.

Centre backs:

A big problem for us this season. Barrett has been a regular in there, but as mentioned in the left back suggestions, he is rumoured to want out. Also, he could be deployed as a left back so we need to bring in two, possibly 3 new centre backs in my eyes. Names to mention include Pat Baldwin, although with a change of manager at Col Ewe and with him having two years on a lucrative deal suggests this could be a non-started. More realistic targets include Michael Townsend who was released from Cheltenham, and has been in talks with Crewe. Steve Elliott, who actually made his first team debut against us in 1997, has been released from Bristol Rovers and is an excellent lower league centre half. Darren Powell was released from MK Dons and is a vastly experienced centre half as well.

Left midfield:

Now, we have Franck Moussa who has been deployed there since Gowers' departure and that is it in terms of options. Most people want to see him moved infield alongside Grant and a genuine width player to be brought in. Players that are available are Levi Porter, who has been released from Leicester City, who is a real threat out wide and would bring some genuine width. Again, Daniel Jones (Mentioned in the left back section) could play there, but likely to be at Bristol Rovers. Two players, who play wide, are worth a mention but I'm not sure whether they are left or right hand side midfielders. First up is David Hutton, who played against us in Cheltenham's last match in League One and impressed. Product of the Spurs academy who joined them originally on loan, before becoming a permenant signing. Is a little lad at 5ft 5", but again is a threat from out wide and has good delivery. Secondly needs little introduction, Ricky Holmes who has been released from Chelmsford City so he can play in the Football League. Local lad, formely in our youth set up, who has been a rumoured target of Tilson for a couple of seasons at the very least. Can be deployed as a striker as well as out wide, so Tilson is obviously a fan. Top scored for Chelmsford again this season. Local lad, not an awful lot of wages, no transfer fee, definately worth a punt.

Right midfield:

An area we actually have covered to be honest. Scannell, providing he signs up, and Laurent, who is contracted into next season, are our options on the right. I don't think we need to strengthen this position, but if we can bring in better then why not. Holmes and Hutton may actually be right sided midfielders so could come in here, but another name to throw forward is Pilkington at Stockport, who is the younger brother of the one at Huddersfield. Is thought of to be a brighter prospect then his brother was at that age and set up Jabo's goal against us this season. Another likely to be part of the Stockport exodus.

Central midfield:

Ideally Moussa will be brought in alongside Grant and we'd have JFC and Macca as back up. Now there are rumours of Moussa wanting out, and also if he stays, he could be used as our left midfielder. Plus rumours of Macca heading Millwall bound. Players to consider in here include Sam Hewson of Man United who had an excellent loan spell with Hereford previously and is a real talent who was let go a couple weeks back. Isn't afraid to mix it with the physical stuff, although he really shines on the ball with his range of passing. Also, Mark Bradley released from Walsall is another ball playing midfielder and Dean Sinclair of Charlton who was released last week. Has had loan spells at Grimsby and Barnet, but can also be used in the Mark Bentley type role on the right of midfield.

Strikers:

Paterson and Crawford are contracted into next season, and Spencer is close to signing a new deal but that won't stop Tilson and his scouts looking to bring in two, possibly even 3 more forwards. Players to consider include Lyle Taylor (Concord) and Billy Bracknell (Billericay Town). Two local non-league lads who have banged in goals for their Clubs this season. Both would be hunger to play professional football, and are worth a glance or two from us. Going for more "proven" strikers would include the likes of Chris Dickson, released from Charlton, and Fabien Brandy, released from Man Utd. Dickson was rumoured to be a target of ours back last January. Had an exception loan spell at Gillingham where they was League Two, but has since had two rather disappointing loan spells at Gillingham, again, Bristol Rovers where he faded after a promising start. Brandy, another to spend a spell on loan at Gillingham where he impressed before picking up an injury. Another to mention is Billy Kee, who impressed on a loan spell with Accrington Stanley in the latter part of the season from Leicester, who has been released. Scored a goal every other game and is in talks with Accrington, but rumours of Exeter, Yeovil and Barnet sniffing around him as well. If, as Tilson has done recently, we decide to bring in an experienced front man there are two that stick out. Jon Macken has been released from Barnsley, but is likely to be out of our price range, and Jamie Cureton. Also, Scott Vernon is available, but wants to head up north and is ****ing woeful.

There is no doubt about it, Tilson is going to be in for a long, and hard summer. Rumours of him wanting to bring in 15 new players have been mentioned and won't be too far from the truth is the likes of Mildenhall, Francis, Barrett, Macca and Moussa head for the exit door.

I forgot to mention O'Keefe for us, but with him, Herd and Crawford all here next season with the likes of Grant, JFC, Spencer, Paterson, Moussa, Scannell, Laurent staying with a selection of new additions there is no reason why we can't be up there competing.

so good it gave me a semi, great report BW2

Had an intersting conversation this morning. Don't know if it has been mentioned already but Billy Gibson of Watford to join us pre-season. Seems Tilly agreed this deal at a Reserve match recently.

Tilly struggling to find CBs, Baldwin was going to join but with Boothroyd leaving he now feels he may have a good opportunity at Col U, he also had two years left of his 'substantial' contract left, although becoming SUFC team Captain is a pull.

As well as Francis going, there have been enquiries about Mildy, Macca, Paterson, Grant and Moose.

Gibson would be an exciting prospect to have here and we definitely need extra cover on the flanks.

Don't quite know how Tilson is struggling to find CBs, what with about 8 being released from various clubs in the last fortnight.

Gibson would be an exciting prospect to have here and we definitely need extra cover on the flanks.

Don't quite know how Tilson is struggling to find CBs, what with about 8 being released from various clubs in the last fortnight.[/quote]

I should have been clearer, he has targetted CBs but is struggling to convince them to come!

When you say being captain re Baldwin doe that mean Barrett is off? I ask as you dont mention there has been any equiries about him?

Ta

Ismael Yakubu released from Barnet, decent centre half at this level, wont be on much either, yes please tilly

When you say being captain re Baldwin doe that mean Barrett is off? I ask as you dont mention there has been any equiries about him?

Ta

Strangely enough, Barrett was not mentioned this morning (sorry). I only go on rumour that he wants away - especially after a blazing row with RM and Tilly after bringing the PFA legal team in when the team were unpaid for the second month in a row.

Scott Donnelly is out of contract at Aldershot and is mulling over a new deal, with Wycombe rumoured to be back in for him. He'd be a cracking signing.

Exodus Geohaghon is in talks with a couple of League 2 clubs, with Crewe also interested in him. He could be the dominant centre half we require and would be worth a look.

If we do get Exodus Geohaghon he will become the first southend player to be printed on the back of my shirt :whistling:

Ainsworth would be a great signing.

Not too sure about Geohagon... He made a name for himself at Kettering by being a bit of a beast with a long throw, Cooper took him to Peterborough whose fans said he was the worst defender they've ever seen.

All interesting stuff. Looking forward to seeing whether this Gibson will be pulling on a Southend shirt next season.

Hope we can keep onto Moussa, Grant and Paterson but I can easily see Moussa joining Macca and Mildenhall out of the exit door.

Exodus Geohaghon is in talks with a couple of League 2 clubs, with Crewe also interested in him. He could be the dominant centre half we require and would be worth a look.

They are looking to recoup most of the transfer fee they spent on him. Bit of a unit with a massive throw, not an overly exceptional centre half though. If we was to spend a transfer fee on a centre half, Alan Bennett at Brentford (one of your earlier mentions) would be my first choice. We missed out on him last summer as he'd spent the majority of the season on loan at Brentford. I would love to see him in a Southend shirt.

Lionel Ainsworth would be a cracking signing, but again would be looking for a transfer fee. Was on loan at Brentford at the tail end of the season and throw a strop after being subbed and was sent back to Huddersfield before he had a chance to apologise. Cracking talent though.

Not too sure about Geohagon... He made a name for himself at Kettering by being a bit of a beast with a long throw, Cooper took him to Peterborough whose fans said he was the worst defender they've ever seen.

Whilst that is true, League 2 is much more Conference than it is Championship. That's my thinking anyway. ;)

Daniel Nardiello has been released by Blackpool. Reckon he wouldn't be a bad signing. Had a loan spell with Oldham this season.

Back