• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Potential new signings for this season

Joe Martin has been released by Blackpool and Tilly needs to get on that phone to his agent pronto.

Lyle Taylor from Concord has been training at Bournemouth recently.

The kid obviously has talent and plays less than 10 miles away on Canvey.

So how the **** are the likes of Bournemouth (150 miles away) getting this lad in for a kick about, before us?

There is something very wrong with our scouting network in my opinion.

http://www.basildonrecorder.co.uk/sport/8151217.Taylor_may_be_south_bound/

Seems he has been since before the 6th of May by all accounts.

Exactly my point.

A club over 150 miles away have got this lad training with them, before the season even ****ing finished.

The likes of Taylor, Holmes, Bricknell, Miller etc should all be invited for a trial, 1st day of training. Or just bloody sign them on a short term deal if need be. They are hardly going to break the bank!....

No ****ing about.

No excuses.

Last edited:
To be fair Smiffy, we might well have scouted him, and either didn't like what we saw, or didn't think we needed him. Now with Franno gone, this could well have changed....

What we have to remember though is he may have organised a load of trials with clubs. Just because he is having one with Bournemouth doesn't mean he will sign for them, he will be keeping his options open. Let's hope that we are going to offer him a trial.

What we have to remember though is he may have organised a load of trials with clubs. Just because he is having one with Bournemouth doesn't mean he will sign for them, he will be keeping his options open. Let's hope that we are going to offer him a trial.

No, of course not.

But my point is a club 150 miles away should not be trialling this guy ahead of us.

If he has already been in and trained with us, then fair enough, well done to the club.

But going on past seasons. He will probably follow the likes of Mclean, Whelpdale, Benson, Green etc etc in being another local talent to join a club miles away.

Other than Freddy, who have we plucked from the local scene in recent years?...

Either Essex is talentless, or certain people are not doing their job properly. Whether that be the Scouts, Management or Board. Or a combination of those.

Last edited:
Someone get on the phone to Tilson! Exactly what we need, someone who wants to prove themselves and a little bit of experience!

Tilly and the scouts should be well aware of this bit of info.

If not, as I said earlier. Someone is not doing their job properly.

Let's hope we have a few signings and the assistant manager announced to make a few people happy again!

I quite agree.

It seem's we are destined to lose some of our better players shortly.

If we do not have the money to replace them. Then the only option is to look for decent, hungry, local talent, who would kill to get a chance at our great club.

I quite agree.

If we do not have the money to replace them. Then the only option is to look for decent, hungry, local talent, who would kill to get a chance at our great club.

There are so many free transfers and cheap players about for example

Nikki Bull (Brentford)
Andy Holt (Northampton, just rejected a contract)
Akinfenwa (rejected Northampton and they have given up on him http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/cobblers/Cobblers-give-up-on-Akinfenwa.6305964.jp)
Fraser McLachlan ( midfielder released from Morecambe, would reach out at a chance)
Jevons (Out of contract at Huddersfield he may sign for Morecambe)

I can go on and on and on! I'll work for free as well! :whistling:

No, of course not.

But my point is a club 150 miles away should not be trialling this guy ahead of us.

If he has already been in and trained with us, then fair enough, well done to the club.

But going on past seasons. He will probably follow the likes of Mclean, Whelpdale, Benson, Green etc etc in being another local talent to join a club miles away.

Other than Freddy, who have we plucked from the local scene in recent years?...

Either Essex is talentless, or certain people are not doing their job properly. Whether that be the Scouts, Management or Board. Or a combination of those.

Mark Bentley from Daggers, Gower from Barnet, Mitchell Cole from Grays, Mark Salter from Frome Town.

We do look an local non-league talent, of course we do, but because a guy bangs in 30 goals in the Ryman, doesn't mean they will be a hit in League Two. Look at Charlie MacDonald, goal machine in the non-league circuit, and never really looked the real deal with us, although has done well at Brentford.

Again, we have scouted the likes of Ricky Holmes, Lyle Taylor (our scout was at the game where they won promotion), Ashley Miller (same game as Taylor), Whelpdale, Benson et all so it proves we are doing it. Also, wasn't Bricknell the guy who played a reserve team match for us in the latter part of the season?

You getting your knickers in a twist over players that could easily be the next Mark Salter without having seen them play before.

As for Nikki Bull, he is someone who was on our radar at the time we brought in Mildenhall. Looked pants at Brentford, carrying Francis' free kick over the line, but made a great save from JFC at Roots Hall. Seems decent enough.

I quite agree.

Thats fine with one or two, but we won't get promoted by getting a load of non-league players.

Mark Bentley from Daggers, Gower from Barnet, Mitchell Cole from Grays, Mark Salter from Frome Town.

We do look an local non-league talent, of course we do, but because a guy bangs in 30 goals in the Ryman, doesn't mean they will be a hit in League Two. Look at Charlie MacDonald, goal machine in the non-league circuit, and never really looked the real deal with us, although has done well at Brentford.

Again, we have scouted the likes of Ricky Holmes, Lyle Taylor (our scout was at the game where they won promotion), Ashley Miller (same game as Taylor), Whelpdale, Benson et all so it proves we are doing it. Also, wasn't Bricknell the guy who played a reserve team match for us in the latter part of the season?

You getting your knickers in a twist over players that could easily be the next Mark Salter without having seen them play before.

As for Nikki Bull, he is someone who was on our radar at the time we brought in Mildenhall. Looked pants at Brentford, carrying Francis' free kick over the line, but made a great save from JFC at Roots Hall. Seems decent enough.

Yes. But I did say in recent years!...

Look, I'm sure the scouts are well aware of the local names mentioned on here. But, It's time to stop ****ing about and paying too much "due dilligence" on players. We have naff all in terms of a squad with depth and need to boost the numbers asap. If there is very little, if any gamble financially and they look promising, just bloody sign them on a short term deal. Even if they end up being squad players, at least we will have some players to fill a bench, that are not youth teamers.

Last edited:

Look, I'm sure the scouts are well aware of the local names mentioned on here. But, It's time to stop ****ing about and paying too much "due dilligence" on players. We have naff all players and need to boost the numbers asap. If there is very little, if any gamble financially and they look promising, just bloody sign them on a short term deal.

Some of them players aren't that long ago, with Mitchell Cole arriving in our League One winning campaign, and some of the others before that. The reason why the non-league scene may have been neglected is because of our rise up the divisions.

When you in League Two/League One you get quite excited about a kid who notched 40 goals in a season for Braintree. Also, it isn't as big a step up as if we was in the Championship. When we went into the Championship, the core of our side was the same that played against Rochdale, Bury and Barnet 18 months previously. We couldn't add to that with non-league players who may or may not be the next big thing. We brought in Hammell, who we beat Southampton to his signature, we signed Francis, signed Ricketts etc. Although that didn't work out for us in the end, imagine the uproar if we had brought in Holmes, brought in Taylor, brought in Bricknell.

All of these players mentioned in the non-league scene are only part time and this can cause two problems. Firstly, they would be getting a wage from their Club as well as having a full time job so we have to compete with that firstly. Secondly, its the fitness thing as well. How long did it take for Scannell to get up to speed? I'd say its only really been this season.

I actually agree with you that some of the players mentioned like Taylor, like Miller, like Holmes sound decent prospects and we would have a few bonuses over some other teams with them not having to relocate. Also, the players will have a point to prove they can play professional football and want that to be their main job, as opposed to part time.

We shouldn't just be looking in the non-league scene though. We want players with a point to prove be it non-league players, or players that have been deemed "not good enough". Players like that fight for a chance, they work that extra 10%, they stay behind after training. If I was bombed from a Club, I'd be doing everything to ensure I am good enough for the next Club. Look at Spencer. Bombed from Everton, couldn't break into the Rochdale side, and came here with a point to prove and has earnt himself a new contract.

If you get the blend of experiences pros like Barrett, like Macca, mix them with hungry players from either non-league or released from other Clubs then we could be onto a winning formula.

Look, I'm sure the scouts are well aware of the local names mentioned on here. But, It's time to stop ****ing about and paying too much "due dilligence" on players. We have naff all in terms of a squad with depth and need to boost the numbers asap. If there is very little, if any gamble financially and they look promising, just bloody sign them on a short term deal. Even if they end up being squad players, at least we will have some players to fill a bench, that are not youth teamers.

When i spoke to Ron Martin just before Christmas i asked have we been looking into lower league/non league players when we have had such a thin squad this season.

He said we wasnt interested in that calibre of player! Lets hope his ideas have changed.

I completely agree with you Smiffy. We cannot be left with a bench/first team of youths every week.

After all Ron keeps banging on about continuity recently. That would suggest he would want a squad of 18 pro's minimum at start of the season.....but then we all know Ron talks a lot without delivering!

Back