• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Penalties

Hit the ball hard and low in the corner of the goal. Has to be some save to keep it out.

It's a free attempt at a goal from 12 yards away. Lots of overthinking and overcomplicating goes on with penalties. Hit it hard and near a corner. Goal
Actually hard but top right or left. When keepers guess they always go low so can only stick an arm up. Statistically I believe the best option.

Actually hard but top right or left. When keepers guess they always go low so can only stick an arm up. Statistically I believe the best option.
the only danger with going top corners is, when you are nervous and under pressure you hit it harder than what you would in training, which can make it go over the bar.

Interesting. My outfield capabilities are limited to Sceptre Sunday League, if I aim for a top bin it probably doesnt land until Watford gap

If he's playing give them to Demi. Record speaks for itself and he is the only taker that has filled me with any confidence.

Hyde I think is definitely in the mix (eventually) but that doesn't help right now.

For some reason I'm not that confident with Demi's penalties. For me he's another one where if keeper goes the right way it's defo savable, but he seems to able to send the keeper the wrong way

Given all the stats that are available to coaches and analysts I wonder if anyone has come up with info on where to place a penalty, with what force, how to run up and address the ball etc. Maybe someone somewhere has analysed thousands of penalties. I am sure goalkeeping coaches have studied the issue as well as checking where certain opposing players place their kicks.

So, come on, here's a challenge for you statisticians, who has been our most successful penalty taker in the last 50 years - and I don't want someone with a 100% record because they scored the only one they took?!

So, come on, here's a challenge for you statisticians, who has been our most successful penalty taker in the last 50 years - and I don't want someone with a 100% record because they scored the only one they took?!
Jimmy Evans was our best but that was 100 years ago

My dad (Who was a keeper) always said "A keeper never saves a penalty, the striker misses them"

For me (who has had penalties saved) I have to agree.

Yes, keepers will get the acclaim from their defenders, but it's a miss from the striker at the end of the day and every team needs a competent penalty taker

The best penalty takers go very high, or very low into the corner, with power. That way, even if the goalie goes the right way, they can still score, Harry Kane ish. Our recent penalties have been 2 foot roughly off the ground, and too far from the post. Perfect for a goalie going the right way.

Given all the stats that are available to coaches and analysts I wonder if anyone has come up with info on where to place a penalty, with what force, how to run up and address the ball etc. Maybe someone somewhere has analysed thousands of penalties. I am sure goalkeeping coaches have studied the issue as well as checking where certain opposing players place their kicks.
Yes this has been done a lot, the best place to place a penalty in terms of not being saved is high and in the middle. It's also a high risk option as it's the easiest way to put it over the bar. Also a single penalty taker can't do it too often as then if you get a reputation for it all the keeper has go do is just stand there.

Clohessy with 6 from 6 is the clubhouse leader.

He also scored in shoot-outs against Leyton Orient and Macclesfield in the preceding two seasons, so his overall record with us was 6 from 6.

Crown looks to have scored 8 penalties so could be a contender but I don’t know if he had a 100% record. I mean I can’t remember him missing but then I can’t remember him ever doing anything other than scoring from open play either.

I believe Alan Moody’s record was something like 26 from 28.

One problem is it needs management to get a grip. Even though Demi has been so obviously the best penalty taker somehow different forwards have been allowed to "grab" the ball and miss more than they score. Even though Demi is on the pitch. I assume its this misguided rubbish that I'm a forward so "obviously" I get first dibs. Designate the penalty taker and if someone else grabs the ball sub them immediately before they can take it.

I remember back in the day Alan Moody was our penalty taker. Don't recall anyone trying

One problem is it needs management to get a grip. Even though Demi has been so obviously the best penalty taker somehow different forwards have been allowed to "grab" the ball and miss more than they score. Even though Demi is on the pitch. I assume its this misguided rubbish that I'm a forward so "obviously" I get first dibs. Designate the penalty taker and if someone else grabs the ball sub them immediately before they can take it.

I remember back in the day Alan Moody was our penalty taker. Don't recall anyone trying
Demetriou wasn’t on the pitch Tuesday and has missed his last two penalties.

Demetriou wasn’t on the pitch Tuesday and has missed his last two penalties.
You have to look over a reasonable period and its still 9 out of 11. And before those two misses after he was the regular penalty taker it was 9 from 9.

If you can't take penalties just because you miss a couple then that rules out Powell who has missed his last two and the only other available player who has scored for us from the spot in a competitive game is Clifford with 1.

So then its looking at the records of new signings that are are available to play? That I haven't looked at admittedly.

PS agree it wouldn't have helped Tue, more looking fwd

Clohessy with 6 from 6 is the clubhouse leader.

Crown looks to have scored 8 penalties so could be a contender but I don’t know if he had a 100% record. I mean I can’t remember him missing but then I can’t remember him ever doing anything other than scoring from open play either.

I believe Alan Moody’s record was something like 26 from 28.
From what I remember Moody went hard and low with great accuracy just inside the post (but I probably saw only a handful of them)

Back