• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Penalties

Bolger vs Wycombe (n) Play-Off Final shoot-out ✅
Weston vs Wycombe (n) Play-Off Final shoot-out ✅
Barrett vs Wycombe (n) Play-Off Final shoot-out ✅
Timlin vs Wycombe (n) Play-Off Final shoot-out ✅
Payne vs Wycombe (n) Play-Off Final shoot-out ✅
Leonard vs Wycombe (n) Play-Off Final shoot-out ✅
B Coker vs Wycombe (n) Play-Off Final shoot-out ❌
Pigott vs Wycombe (n) Play-Off Final shoot-out ✅
Corr vs Stevenage (h) Play-Off Semi-Final ❌
Corr vs Burton (a) ❌
Wow, had forgotten those two misses from him - probably explains why Corr didn't take one at Wembley.

Not playing mr ‘after the event’ here, but listening last night, once the penalty was awarded, I was thinking to myself, ‘who do we have that would take this successfully?’.. it felt inevitable that we’d miss

Not playing mr ‘after the event’ here, but listening last night, once the penalty was awarded, I was thinking to myself, ‘who do we have that would take this successfully?’.. it felt inevitable that we’d miss
Yeah, alright Mr. After the Event!

(Actually, I felt the same. I had zero confidence that we'd score.)

Let’s attempt a thread to chronicle our fortunes from the penalty spot.

From memory aided with a quick google search the last few years it’s been:

2020-21

Demetriou v Exeter (H) ✅
Olayinka v Boreham Wood (A) FA Cup pen shoot out ✅
Rush v Boreham Wood (A) FA Cup pen shoot out ❌
Clifford v Boreham Wood (A) FA Cup pen shoot out ✅
Nathaniel-George Boreham Wood (A) FA Cup pen shoot out ✅
Demetriou Boreham Wood (A) FA Cup pen shoot out ❌
Nathaniel-George v Scunthorpe (A) ✅
Akinola v Carlisle (H) ❌
Rush v Newport (H) ❌

2021-22

Murphy v Dover (H) ✅
Dalby v Chesterfield (A) FA Cup ❌
Murphy v Dorking (H) FA Trophy ❌
Dalby v Kings Lynn (H) ✅
Dalby v Grimsby (H) ✅
Dalby v Notts Co (H) ❌
Cardwell v Barnet (A) ✅
Demetriou v Wealdstone (H) ❌
Powell v Weymouth (H) ❌

2022-23

Powell ❌

If I’ve missed any (pun not intended) add them below.

And if any one has records further back that would be great as well.

From the current squad we have two with 100% records both surnames start with C and are injured so maybe from this extensive and scientific survey it should be Jaden Crowhurst on spot kick duty (I’d have had Wreh on penalty duties).
Dalby scored at Chesterfield in the league last season, too. Although it was a dreadful penalty.

the frustrating thing is that so many things in football are unpredictable, marginal, impossible to stop or make happen - getting a goal so vital to the outcome of a game ..

AND we pay zillions for a striker ... go training all the time, have a team of 3 managers coaches, plus analysts and video play back

AND we cannot find someone - or train someone - to kick the ball in the back of the net from 12 yards ..

every single manager in professional football says the smallest detail can matter....

really Mr Maher you need to take a long hard look at yourself -

no excuses just very shabby lack lustre and showing poor standards ...

and hence poor results

the frustrating thing is that so many things in football are unpredictable, marginal, impossible to stop or make happen - getting a goal so vital to the outcome of a game ..

AND we pay zillions for a striker ... go training all the time, have a team of 3 managers coaches, plus analysts and video play back

AND we cannot find someone - or train someone - to kick the ball in the back of the net from 12 yards ..

every single manager in professional football says the smallest detail can matter....

and hence poor results
Very few of those penalties have been missed though. Most of the times the highly trained player who we’ve paid zilch for (maybe a nominal fee at most) and has the benefit of a head coach, assistant manager and first team coach plus analysts and video play back has been denied by it being saved by a goalkeeper who has the benefit of a head coach, assistant manager and first team coach plus analysts and video play back.

Very few of those penalties have been missed though. Most of the times the highly trained player who we’ve paid zilch for (maybe a nominal fee at most) and has the benefit of a head coach, assistant manager and first team coach plus analysts and video play back has been denied by it being saved by a goalkeeper who has the benefit of a head coach, assistant manager and first team coach plus analysts and video play back.

good point

"being saved by a goalkeeper who has the benefit of a head coach, assistant manager and first team coach plus analysts and video play back"

BUT its a game of winners and losers ...

and most teams and managers and coaches throughout the professional football leagues have a far far better per centage success rate at penalties than do the team at SUFC..

its poor - p+ss poor ... and should get fixed asap ..

like after the Dalby fiascos have we learnt zilch ..

There are those ITK on here who will be able to tell us whether the nominated penalty taker(s) practise taking them on a regular basis. There must be a list of potential takers and one would hope, indeed expect, that practising is a regular feature.

and hence poor results
Are you and Wiggy related, the same or in love?

A Halifax fan told me it was the first pen their gk has saved in 3 seasons.
Okay not a bad pen but not hard, wide, low or high enough. Keeper guessed right and that was it. Work needed

good point

"being saved by a goalkeeper who has the benefit of a head coach, assistant manager and first team coach plus analysts and video play back"

BUT its a game of winners and losers ...

and most teams and managers and coaches throughout the professional football leagues have a far far better per centage success rate at penalties than do the team at SUFC..

its poor - p+ss poor ... and should get fixed asap ..

like after the Dalby fiascos have we learnt zilch ..

Do you have actual stats to back this up or are you just firing from the hip again?

I know Steve Arnold has saved quite a few: wins against Altrincham and Barnet spring to mind; Collin Andeng Ndi saved one on his debut v Dorking.

Now, when Alan Moody took a penalty….
… the rules were different and keepers couldn’t move.

Think Mike Marsh was probably the best penalty taker I can remember. Probably helped that he didn’t feel pressure playing for Southend.

Obviously I'm no expert but to me it seems pretty logical. Over time and through seeing them train you will know who your best half-dozen penalty takers are in any squad. if you have 6 of them, there's always likely to be at least one of them on the pitch at any given time. Those 6 should be drilled in taking penalties. Tell each one of them to have no more than 3 options to choose from. Non of them at the accepted easy mid-height for a keeper, and definitely no Panenka's. Bottom left, bottom right, high down the middle, top corners, whatever. This way no matter how much scouting the opposition do, they won't know for sure where any given penalty taker will put the ball. Make them practise their chosen penalty options over and over, maybe an hour each week or two half-hours, until they could take them with their eyes shut (as it seems they do already, but without the practise). surely even players at our level are capable of an accurate dead-ball shot from 12 yards if they practice enough. Tell them to make their mind up which option they're going with before they start their run up, and don't deviate from it no matter what antics the keeper is up to.

I know, I'm probably missing the point somewhere.

Hit the ball hard and low in the corner of the goal. Has to be some save to keep it out.

It's a free attempt at a goal from 12 yards away. Lots of overthinking and overcomplicating goes on with penalties. Hit it hard and near a corner. Goal

Obviously I'm no expert but to me it seems pretty logical. Over time and through seeing them train you will know who your best half-dozen penalty takers are in any squad. if you have 6 of them, there's always likely to be at least one of them on the pitch at any given time. Those 6 should be drilled in taking penalties. Tell each one of them to have no more than 3 options to choose from. Non of them at the accepted easy mid-height for a keeper, and definitely no Panenka's. Bottom left, bottom right, high down the middle, top corners, whatever. This way no matter how much scouting the opposition do, they won't know for sure where any given penalty taker will put the ball. Make them practise their chosen penalty options over and over, maybe an hour each week or two half-hours, until they could take them with their eyes shut (as it seems they do already, but without the practise). surely even players at our level are capable of an accurate dead-ball shot from 12 yards if they practice enough. Tell them to make their mind up which option they're going with before they start their run up, and don't deviate from it no matter what antics the keeper is up to.

I know, I'm probably missing the point somewhere.
There is some sense in that, but I would also add that their practice should be made in to a competition to add an element of stress. It won't replicate a match situation, but it will be better than pure practice.

If he's playing give them to Demi. Record speaks for itself and he is the only taker that has filled me with any confidence.

Hyde I think is definitely in the mix (eventually) but that doesn't help right now.

Back