• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Oldham Athletic 1-1 Southend Utd

Wow, I certainly didn’t have you criticising an ethnic minority player on my bingo card. Not after your wholehearted support of Fonguck, Hobson, Bwomono etc

Pepple would have done a lot better if any of his teammmates had been in the same post code but he was so isolated for most of the match it was hard to do anything. I don’t think he was great but we were definitely worse after he went off.
...or praising them like Ralph? Or Stan? Or Akinola? Or Ricky Otto? Or my mate?
Elvis? That's a new one; when he came good and he eventually did, I was all for him.
You've tried this racist baiting trick before, so am assuming you'll keep going with the tongue-in-cheek until stopped - and you're a moderator, lol!
At the end of the day, you're left with what you see. Pepple may have better games, but he wasn't up to speed in this one, and as said, a few others like Gubbins were like him.

Last edited:
Think people writing off Bim already need to take a deep breath. It was an absolutely thankless task for anyone getting thrown up top alone today, and it would be harsh to pass judgement on the basis of one game as a lone striker. Would like to see him with a proper partner on Tuesday but seems unlikely given we're now another man down with Cav's back problem.

Of course he's not Cards but he had enough about him to pressure the throw-in that won us the free kick we scored from, and to get beyond the last man and force a near post safe not long before he came off.

Turgid first half when two teams cancelled each other out.

We were fortunate to go into half time with a lead from our only venture into their penalty area. It was the far end but apparently there was some speculation it might have been an oggie rather than yet another Gus goal?

We came out after half-time much improved and could and maybe should have stretched our lead to 2-0. Will be interested in @ShrimperStats analysis of what changed but Bridge (who’d been anonymous until he won the freekick for our goal) seemed further forward and we created more in five minutes than we had in the previous half. We looked a lot more fluid and it was a really promising start. We struggled though after a tiring Pepple was taken off. Hitting it long to Bridge isn’t the greatest tactic. We then went on the back foot. Forlop - who I’d have loved as an option off the bench came on at ht and equalised for Oldham. For a while it seemed if it was a matter of time before Oldham would take the lead but Wood came on and his fresh legs made a difference and we finished the stronger of the teams.

In the end a draw was probably a fair result but I think with a stronger bench we could have held on for a potentially undeserved win. Always disappointing to concede 15 minutes from time but I would have taken the draw before hand.

It was the type of performance and result to stop the rot and build on.

Pepple had a tough debut isolated and with no service but had flashes. In the circumstances that was as good as we could have hoped for - I don’t think he’s the long term starter we need but I think he may be able to do a job off the bench for us.

Keenan Appiah-Forson is diminutive and won’t win much in the air but flashed his quality when he lobbed a ball over the top that Jack Wood narrowly missed getting on the end of.

Harry Taylor had a less assured game than normal - he completely misjudged one through ball that could have been costly. Gubbins seems to lack the quality on the ball that we seek but can defend. Ralph and Gus are above average at this level although again I think Gus’s goal masked an average performance.

Morton had one of his best games for us without Miley taking up the positions he wants to. Noor wasn’t as influential as he has been of late whilst Moncur has a silky touch but seems to lack the vision to make it really count. He got in good positions and wriggled free of opponents but it’s hard to highlight killer passes or successful crosses/ shots.

Bridge was anonymous first half other than winning the freekick for the goal but became more influential second half before being withdrawn. Him and Moncur linking together is a threat even if both’s approach play is better than their final ball.

I think we’ll give second place Eastleigh a game Tuesday.
Very good summary of the game - you tell the story of the match exactly as I saw it.

Re Appiah-Forson…by “diminutive” you’re being kind - he is absolutely tiny!

Very good summary of the game - you tell the story of the match exactly as I saw it.

Re Appiah-Forson…by “diminutive” you’re being kind - he is absolutely tiny!

Straight into a smallest XI

……………… Flavs
JCR…………..Paul Clark…Johnny Herd
Russ Williamson… KAF…. Keith Jones… Derek Payne
Terrell Egbri … Steve Phillips….Jack Payne

That said once Hillson plays for us he may be a contender to replace Flavs

Wow, I certainly didn’t have you criticising an ethnic minority player on my bingo card. Not after your wholehearted support of Fonguck, Hobson, Bwomono etc

Pepple would have done a lot better if any of his teammmates had been in the same post code but he was so isolated for most of the match it was hard to do anything. I don’t think he was great but we were definitely worse after he went off.
That first paragraph’s a bit uncalled for isn’t it? Even if tongue in cheek (I hope so), aren’t we suppost to comment on the post not the poster! It comes across as very judgemental on the individual. Or is it different rules for mods?

Think people writing off Bim already need to take a deep breath. It was an absolutely thankless task for anyone getting thrown up top alone today, and it would be harsh to pass judgement on the basis of one game as a lone striker. Would like to see him with a proper partner on Tuesday but seems unlikely given we're now another man down with Cav's back problem.

Of course he's not Cards but he had enough about him to pressure the throw-in that won us the free kick we scored from, and to get beyond the last man and force a near post safe not long before he came off.
Cards wasn't even Cards in the beginning!

Play Wind next game, drop Bridge if he has to play anywhere near the midfield and stick the leagues most potent goalscorer GSM just off Bim - league won 🏆

Oldham forum was saying our no2,7,23 were thugs trying to ruin the game lol
Just been having a look on there myself. They are not a happy bunch. They're not keen on their manager's 'sideways passing' style, think their squad lacks creativity and even have a 'sack watch' thread. Strange thing is I think they invested heavily on the playing side when their new owner came in but it hasn't paid off. 🤔
Oh and they don't like their match day experience either. They cannot understand the guy on the tannoy, don't like the pre-match music and there's problems with the catering and fans bar.
I had to come back here sharpish for some positivity.

Just been having a look on there myself. They are not a happy bunch. They're not keen on their manager's 'sideways passing' style, think their squad lacks creativity and even have a 'sack watch' thread. Strange thing is I think they invested heavily on the playing side when their new owner came in but it hasn't paid off. 🤔
Oh and they don't like their match day experience either. They cannot understand the guy on the tannoy, don't like the pre-match music and there's problems with the catering and fans bar.
The “atmosphere” was very weird.

Well a hard earned point, seriously looking at the fixtures if we can get in a decent striker we can definitely start moving up this league table. Have some very winnable fixtures , Give Bam Bam a chance let him get up to fitness, I would still like to see Maher play 4 at the back for the time being, also still think 4-2-3-1 would be the formation to use at present until such time as we have at least 2 fit strikers. But was genuinely hoping for a win today but happy for a draw. Even without Cav at present we have the making of a decent midfield, Now im expecting a club like the Vegans to come in with a decent offer for GSM they do seem like the NL version of Chelsea .So happy e have Moncur .Noor , GSM , Ralph and seems like Crowther came of age today also. Give Gubbins a chance he will improve i have no doubt.

Sounds suspiciously like another fans board. If only I can remember what it is called...................:Smile2:

Back