• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Oldham Athletic 1-1 Southend Utd

As long they show effort and commitment I am usually reluctant to criticise or write anything negative about our players but I have to say in the first half BP seemed out of his depth at times. In the second half I thought he looked a different player and showed some nice touches and left me feeling much more optimistic that we might have something to work with.

I also have no quibbles with the substitution. If anything I might have pulled him off five minutes earlier. Effort wise he put in a good shift and let us not forget he was thrown in at the deep end, especially as I think I am right in saying this was his first game of the season.

Much was asked of him and he gave his all and hinted at better things in the future.

No complaints from this supporter!

Prior to kick off considering the injuries we have got would have expected a defeat but hoped for a point.
Listening to the game via the radio first half was dire with too many mistakes but a much better second with Moncur outstanding throughout.Onwards to Tuesday fingers crossed we haven't pickup anymore injuries

I thought Pepple was pretty good. He is a bit of a ****house and he worked hard and kept it simple. I think he’ll be a good player for us after he’s had a couple of games to settle in. We massively missed him when he went off as Wood just couldn’t make the ball stick. I would have chucked Wind up front as at least he can head a ball.

Morton was excellent. Everyone else was very good. Point earned and deserved

Happy with the point

And considering we had to seriously hang on towards the end with no striker on the pitch but still managed to nearly win it, is great testament to the players and managers.

We are very much a team that is limping around at the moment.

The obvious things to note for me

Back 3 looked a little unsettled at times today, first time playing together in that sense so understandable. Gubbins made a good account of himself

Bim ... I feel like I'm going to end up feeling a bit sorry for him ... Clearly has a level of coaching in terms of where he wants to the ball to go, but looked a bit of the level we need tbh. From first impressions, he's not at the same of Dackers and Sandat imo and not good enough to lead the line. I hope we get to see him with a strike partnership very soon

Moncur continues to impress me, so classy but at times it feels like he's completely wasted with the players around him. A few times Bridge, Bim and Gus were in positions to offer a decent option but they just seemed to be a few seconds too late every time ... Maybe just me but its a little frustrating at times and I fish we had a bit more of connection between George and the rest of the squad.

But yet again, when our back is against the wall, he hold our own 💪🏻🦐🦐

Good away point. Dipped in the middle but strong in the end despite not having a recognised striker on.

Bim looked a bit on his heels, Moncur a class above, we remain hard to break down. Collin’s kicking was very poor.

They pressed very well in first half and made us resort to long kicks. I think our biggest challenge with playing out from
Back is midfielders who just play strat back to defence. Moncur the exception to this.

We need that 4th striker as don’t think Bim is the Cardwell replacement.

Shockingly bad commentators.
commentators straight out of the allotment having fed the pigeons. 😂

Decent point. Not sure why Kev is copping so much abuse? Threadbare squad and one striker who is clearly short of match fitness as he was cramping up after 60 mins. Granted he could have brought Wood on for Pepple but it looked like the idea behind bring KAF on was to get him on the ball and running at them. It’s just a shame we didn’t get the ball to him.

Judging by the pre match poll, most of you expected a draw and a lot of you expected defeat, so chalk it up as a decent point and move on!
Because we’ve been seasoned into thinking that every point we get away from home is ‘good’ it’s not … it’s another game we should have won and as usual we didnt

A mixed performance. Couldn't fault the effort and at times played some good football particularly in the second half. Moncur was a class apart, Ralph had a good game and apart from slackness that led to their goal, the defence looked ok. Collin's kicking was wasteful and inaccurate although he made some good saves. What was crucial was the substitution of Pepple. I can accept he needed to be replaced but it should have been by Wood to at least provide nuisance value up front rather than another midfielder. The initiative was handed to Oldham and the inevitable happened. This kind of glaring tactical error is something of a pattern anyway but made more obvious by a threadbare squad. We came back strongly towards the end but playing neat little triangles on the edge of the box instead of forcing a shot was never going to produce a goal.

I thought Pepple was pretty good. He is a bit of a ****house and he worked hard and kept it simple. I think he’ll be a good player for us after he’s had a couple of games to settle in. We massively missed him when he went off as Wood just couldn’t make the ball stick. I would have chucked Wind up front as at least he can head a ball.

Morton was excellent. Everyone else was very good. Point earned and deserved

I had the stream on in the background, trying to watch and failing as running around with the boys, but from the bits I was able to concentrate on, Morton looked very tidy and I’m glad this was picked up elsewhere.

Another who has come under stick this season, and I felt he looked comfortable out there.

Because we’ve been seasoned into thinking that every point we get away from home is ‘good’ it’s not … it’s another game we should have won and as usual we didnt
Disagree. You’re another one who, since the takeover, thinks we should be winning every game.

Just see it for what it is - a decent point away at one of the bigger teams in the league.

I had the stream on in the background, trying to watch and failing as running around with the boys, but from the bits I was able to concentrate on, Morton looked very tidy and I’m glad this was picked up elsewhere.

Another who has come under stick this season, and I felt he looked comfortable out there.
He took responsibility and linked up well. He was excellent defensively and gave Husin and Moncur the freedom to get forward.

Last edited:
What was crucial was the substitution of Pepple. I can accept he needed to be replaced but it should have been by Wood to at least provide nuisance value up front rather than another midfielder. The initiative was handed to Oldham and the inevitable happened. This kind of glaring tactical error is something of a pattern anyway but made more obvious by a threadbare squad. We came back strongly towards the end but playing neat little triangles on the edge of the box instead of forcing a shot was never going to produce a goal.
Didn't Bridge go up front to replace Pebble?

Pebble was decent for a debut, all things considered. I can't believe I'm reading comments saying he isn't up to Dackers and Sandat's level... Those two are not good players (Sandat is still very young though). I for one am so glad they didn't return again for this season.

Moncur is levels above the rest.

The team is more flexible attacking without Miley in the team.

Maher's northern record adds another match without a win... But considering the situation, this was one of the better performances / results. Hopefully we can win at least one of Rochdale, Altrincham, Halifax, York in the next few months.

I've got to check myself before criticising players, because this is the National League.
But for me, it wasn't so much we lacked strikers: it was more we lacked quality.
There were plenty of positives, and I'm not sure where we'd be without Taylor, Crowther, Ralph, GSM, and the marvellous Moncur.
But the new boys? Is that what the budget's come to? OK, if we have to, but I can't see what either brings.
If Pepple is fit, then so am I - and I give him five decades! He lumbers rather than runs, and I suspect by his body language he's been doing so for some time.
Surely, Collin can be coached to hit the ball with less woomph? I lost count of the times it was straight out of play or down the middle.
But this is a side missing four big players, not to mention the departed Harry and the unmentionable Kensdale. So, a point is half decent.
Wow, I certainly didn’t have you criticising an ethnic minority player on my bingo card. Not after your wholehearted support of Fonguck, Hobson, Bwomono etc

Pepple would have done a lot better if any of his teammmates had been in the same post code but he was so isolated for most of the match it was hard to do anything. I don’t think he was great but we were definitely worse after he went off.

Turgid first half when two teams cancelled each other out.

We were fortunate to go into half time with a lead from our only venture into their penalty area. It was the far end but apparently there was some speculation it might have been an oggie rather than yet another Gus goal?

We came out after half-time much improved and could and maybe should have stretched our lead to 2-0. Will be interested in @ShrimperStats analysis of what changed but Bridge (who’d been anonymous until he won the freekick for our goal) seemed further forward and we created more in five minutes than we had in the previous half. We looked a lot more fluid and it was a really promising start. We struggled though after a tiring Pepple was taken off. Hitting it long to Bridge isn’t the greatest tactic. We then went on the back foot. Forlop - who I’d have loved as an option off the bench came on at ht and equalised for Oldham. For a while it seemed if it was a matter of time before Oldham would take the lead but Wood came on and his fresh legs made a difference and we finished the stronger of the teams.

In the end a draw was probably a fair result but I think with a stronger bench we could have held on for a potentially undeserved win. Always disappointing to concede 15 minutes from time but I would have taken the draw before hand.

It was the type of performance and result to stop the rot and build on.

Pepple had a tough debut isolated and with no service but had flashes. In the circumstances that was as good as we could have hoped for - I don’t think he’s the long term starter we need but I think he may be able to do a job off the bench for us.

Keenan Appiah-Forson is diminutive and won’t win much in the air but flashed his quality when he lobbed a ball over the top that Jack Wood narrowly missed getting on the end of.

Harry Taylor had a less assured game than normal - he completely misjudged one through ball that could have been costly. Gubbins seems to lack the quality on the ball that we seek but can defend. Ralph and Gus are above average at this level although again I think Gus’s goal masked an average performance.

Morton had one of his best games for us without Miley taking up the positions he wants to. Noor wasn’t as influential as he has been of late whilst Moncur has a silky touch but seems to lack the vision to make it really count. He got in good positions and wriggled free of opponents but it’s hard to highlight killer passes or successful crosses/ shots.

Bridge was anonymous first half other than winning the freekick for the goal but became more influential second half before being withdrawn. Him and Moncur linking together is a threat even if both’s approach play is better than their final ball.

I think we’ll give second place Eastleigh a game Tuesday.

Back