• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Oldham Athletic 1-1 Southend Utd

I honestly think a lot of fans have taken some heavy horse tranqualizers. The whole spine has been ripped out and we are playing against a team that have strength in depth. Kensdale, Miley and Cardwell all missing and people are asking why we aren't doing certain things. Unbelievable.

People moaning why he took Pepple off, really?! He has hardly played and we have 1 striker at the club! We also have 2 games next week. Was Kev really going to run him into the ground and get him injured?

We battled amazingly well, showing the spirit of last season. Most teams in this league would be happy with a point at Boundary Park with their best 11, let alone a depleted squad and rock bottom morale. Today's result will lift them massively. Fans really need to start looking at the positives rather than easily targeting the negatives. Utb!
Some people on here really need to take a reality check!

Just because Ron is gone the damage he has done to this club will take years to mend and yet following some of the comments today people are expecting us to win the league this year.

1. We were under Embargo up until a few weeks ago so by the time that was lifted anyone who was any good was gone!

2. We have a really bad injury List plus losing Cardwell and Kendall this week

3. The players we have signed have not had a proper pre-season and how many times have we seen signings like this who we rush through and then don't see for months (Hyde etc.)

4. We over achieved massively last season and there are some big spenders in this league now

Lets just all take a Chill Pill, enjoy the fact that we are not about to under and that we have a club to support, it might take a few seasons to get back to where we should (want to) be.

In the meantime lets cut Kevin and the squad some slack because if we don't and after all he has done he might just think F**k you all and I am off!!

Lets just realise where we really are!

Considering, compared to just 3 weeks ago we started without Cardwell, Kensdale, Miley, Walker, and Coker, a gutsy performance against a fancied team that had to use 15 different outfield players before they caused us much trouble. Everyone should be proud of them today.

This is non league and you can’t expect much quality up front unless you spend silly money. Two goals from set pieces and it’s 1 a piece. Ultimately their keeper made more saves than Collin. His kicking wasn’t great but his handling is perfect - that’s what you want from a keeper.

Oh and no one shoots any more because the likelihood is it will be blocked- ricochet to the half way line and you get caught on the break.

Of course we need more bodies but a wrong ‘un is much worse than no one.

There will undoubtedly be criticism of the team/Kev/COSU etc after that result, but it's amazing what a few injuries and other Chairmen with v deep pockets can cause. If Josh Walker, Danny Waldron, Kav Miley Oli Coker, Ollie Kensdale or Harry Cardwell had all been fit and available, I wonder whether the 3 points would have been ours? No wonder Kev is a bit brassed off. That said, I think today was a coming of age from Adam Crowther, who I thought had a very solid, influential game and was a natural successor to Kensdale at CB.

Considering, compared to just 3 weeks ago we started without Cardwell, Kensdale, Miley, Walker, and Coker, a gutsy performance against a fancied team that had to use 15 different outfield players before they caused us much trouble. Everyone should be proud of them today.

This is non league and you can’t expect much quality up front unless you spend silly money. Two goals from set pieces and it’s 1 a piece. Ultimately their keeper made more saves than Collin. His kicking wasn’t great but his handling is perfect - that’s what you want from a keeper.

Oh and no one shoots any more because the likelihood is it will be blocked- ricochet to the half way line and you get caught on the break.

Of course we need more bodies but a wrong ‘un is much worse than no one.

Or you score a goal and win a game. :Scared:

Committed performance. Gritty at times but sprinkled with good football. A point was fair and a bonus. Special mention for Gubbins who I thought looked much more the player I expected him to be. No complaints not criticism for team or coaches. All did well with what was available.

I honestly think a lot of fans have taken some heavy horse tranqualizers. The whole spine has been ripped out and we are playing against a team that have strength in depth. Kensdale, Miley and Cardwell all missing and people are asking why we aren't doing certain things. Unbelievable.

People moaning why he took Pepple off, really?! He has hardly played and we have 1 striker at the club! We also have 2 games next week. Was Kev really going to run him into the ground and get him injured?

We battled amazingly well, showing the spirit of last season. Most teams in this league would be happy with a point at Boundary Park with their best 11, let alone a depleted squad and rock bottom morale. Today's result will lift them massively. Fans really need to start looking at the positives rather than easily targeting the negatives. Utb!
My thoughts, too. If I were an Oldham fan, (shudders at the thought) I'd be very ****ed off. Decent squad, at home, playing against a team that is still very much a works in progress, down to its bare bones and just had its spine ripped out and all they could do was muster a draw!

I've got to check myself before criticising players, because this is the National League.
But for me, it wasn't so much we lacked strikers: it was more we lacked quality.
There were plenty of positives, and I'm not sure where we'd be without Taylor, Crowther, Ralph, GSM, and the marvellous Moncur.
But the new boys? Is that what the budget's come to? OK, if we have to, but I can't see what either brings.
If Pepple is fit, then so am I - and I give him five decades! He lumbers rather than runs, and I suspect by his body language he's been doing so for some time.
Surely, Collin can be coached to hit the ball with less woomph? I lost count of the times it was straight out of play or down the middle.
But this is a side missing four big players, not to mention the departed Harry and the unmentionable Kensdale. So, a point is half decent.
Interestingly, I had to listen to BBC Manchester and tge Oldham commentators early on. One of them spoke highly of Pepple and his time at Grimsby. But we will see.

Some people on here really need to take a reality check!

Just because Ron is gone the damage he has done to this club will take years to mend and yet following some of the comments today people are expecting us to win the league this year.

1. We were under Embargo up until a few weeks ago so by the time that was lifted anyone who was any good was gone!

2. We have a really bad injury List plus losing Cardwell and Kendall this week

3. The players we have signed have not had a proper pre-season and how many times have we seen signings like this who we rush through and then don't see for months (Hyde etc.)

4. We over achieved massively last season and there are some big spenders in this league now

Lets just all take a Chill Pill, enjoy the fact that we are not about to under and that we have a club to support, it might take a few seasons to get back to where we should (want to) be.

In the meantime lets cut Kevin and the squad some slack because if we don't and after all he has done he might just think F**k you all and I am off!!

Lets just realise where we really are!
Very well said.

I've got to check myself before criticising players, because this is the National League.
But for me, it wasn't so much we lacked strikers: it was more we lacked quality.
There were plenty of positives, and I'm not sure where we'd be without Taylor, Crowther, Ralph, GSM, and the marvellous Moncur.
But the new boys? Is that what the budget's come to? OK, if we have to, but I can't see what either brings.
If Pepple is fit, then so am I - and I give him five decades! He lumbers rather than runs, and I suspect by his body language he's been doing so for some time.
Surely, Collin can be coached to hit the ball with less woomph? I lost count of the times it was straight out of play or down the middle.
But this is a side missing four big players, not to mention the departed Harry and the unmentionable Kensdale. So, a point is half decent.
Hmmm. Interesting that the two players you've just hung out to dry are our sub saharan ones but hopefully.... it's just a coincidence, and not another one of your dubious statements that you're prone to come out with.

Colin has been brilliant for us so how you can criticise him is beyond me and the new lad is exactly that so give him a chance man.

Hmmm. Interesting that the two players you've just hung out to dry are our sub saharan ones but hopefully.... it's just a coincidence, and not another one of your dubious statements that you're prone to come out with.

Colin has been brilliant for us so how you can criticise him is beyond me and the new lad is exactly that so give him a chance man.
Are there you are again, Paulie?
Criticise Collin? Or is this some other Colin you're referring to? Would you like our keeper to kick the ball better? Of course, you would.
And as for your Saharan reference, I would be very, very careful if it's a pop in a certain direction.
The Mods won't like that...

Last edited:
Good point, however I wish we would take more shots on goal when around the box instead of keep fanning about with it that ultimately leads to nothing.

Back