• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Oldham Athletic 1-1 Southend Utd

Where have all the strikers gone who always get a shot on target when they were in on goal?
GSM seems to have that ability most of the time, but he's a defender. I can always remember the beast Akinfenway playing against us, and always hit the target, and normally always scored, that's why he still played into his 40s and into his 20 stone!

Now recovered from BOT journey, wardys tequila line and giant poop pictures.
I thought Gubbins had his best game for us, he was good defensively and had far less chipped floaty aimless punts, passed the ball very well to be fair.
Crowther....saw glimpses last season of what could be and I think he'll come on nicely.
Not going to go too much on the front pairing of pepple with bridge today...pepple willing runner looked sensible with the ball.
Ralph at LWB however was the right call as we had to maximise defensive capability today.
Morton was really efficient with the ball today, looked to hit the wide passes when possible. Noor also had a decent enough game.
Moncur looked really good at times, willing to turn and run with the ball, just need a little end product...pass shot etc.
As for the game, the fact that both goals in the game came from set pieces says it all tbf.
Very similar sides both looking to play the right way. Good players just lacking in the clinical areas up top.
Boy do we need a forward.
Obscene commitment from every player today, I was worried about recent departures and injuries having a detrimental effect on spirit etc but not on today's showing.
A couple of players (forwards) from having a good go at the play offs I am sure of it.

Now recovered from BOT journey, wardys tequila line and giant poop pictures.
I thought Gubbins had his best game for us, he was good defensively and had far less chipped floaty aimless punts, passed the ball very well to be fair.
Crowther....saw glimpses last season of what could be and I think he'll come on nicely.
Not going to go too much on the front pairing of pepple with bridge today...pepple willing runner looked sensible with the ball.
Ralph at LWB however was the right call as we had to maximise defensive capability today.
Morton was really efficient with the ball today, looked to hit the wide passes when possible. Noor also had a decent enough game.
Moncur looked really good at times, willing to turn and run with the ball, just need a little end product...pass shot etc.
As for the game, the fact that both goals in the game came from set pieces says it all tbf.
Very similar sides both looking to play the right way. Good players just lacking in the clinical areas up top.
Boy do we need a forward.
Obscene commitment from every player today, I was worried about recent departures and injuries having a detrimental effect on spirit etc but not on today's showing.
A couple of players (forwards) from having a good go at the play offs I am sure of it.
The pass through to Wood at the end would have been assist of the season if wood had scored. Excellent pass

Most of us would have taken point at Oldham at the start of the season. Just think what has changed from way back then. No Cardwell.....No Walker or even Waldron off the bench. Miley and Coker out injured and of course the Kensgate scandal.

So yesterday was very good performance and a point earned and certainly not a couple thrown away as some are claiming. It was right decision to take Pepple off....He was burnt out and unlike us fans, Kev has Tuesday to think of.......More importantly the game had already turned. Its simply not true that Oldham only started to attack when our only available raw and untested forward came off. Like any team losing at home 0-1 they came out and had a go. They also had the luxury off the bench of game changer. Fondop is a big strong lad and areal threat in the air. He had two headers at goal before he scored.

Just when it looked like it could be all one way after they equalised we dug in and even looked like we could steal win in injury time. Alas not to be but good battling performance with some plus points.

Moncur.....NO need to say anything easily our MOM. Morton did an excellent job in the Miley roll. Crowther and Gubbins looked better and of course GSM scores again (or did he)

Early days but not sure Pepple will be a crowd pleaser. Like so many who have had half paced academy life he needed more conviction in all his work. If he had actually put some power in that near post chance he would have won us the game.

Don't get the criticism of Colin. Over hitting kicks when we have forward line that means it would come straight back is no crime. Same if goes into touch. Someone even said he 'nearly' let that free kick squirm under him. It didn't. He did have lightning reactions to pounce on the lose ball after his initial save. Thats called good goal keeping.

On to Tuesday and another week of Shrimperzone madness.

Last edited:
Early days but not sure Pepple will be a crowd pleaser.

Quiz question other than Stan - who could pick up the ball with his back to goal on the halfway line, spin and take on three defenders before beating the keeper with either foot from 25 yards - which forwards have been crowd pleasers at Roots Hall whilst playing alone up front?

Strange game yesterday.

Felt the fans were quieter than they have been and slightly lower in numbers.

I thought the west stand bar was awful but £5.20 for a can of fosters and £5 for driest and worst hotdog I've ever eaten in my life. Cashless too. Like they were some kind of modern arena. Worst offering at an away day for years.

We played OK and passed it well at times, without really looking like scoring. Hardly surprising really.

Oldham were very long ball and were poor and there for the taking if we didnt have half our squad missing.

Credit to GSM who is getting better and better and is surely destined to be a league player sometime soon. 5 goals is outrageous for a wingback.

Pebble looked useful but needs to be a bit street wise. A good debut.

As soon as he went off the game swung in Oldhams favour and they were afforded more time at the back and proceeded to bombard our goal with long balls. The ball in for their goal was a peach.

We will have to add to the front line quickly if we are to start turning draws into wins.

As for oldham. They won't be anywhere near the play offs unless they change management. No wonder their crowds have dropped. Awful style of football.

Having gone ahead it would have been great to hold on. That said if you don’t have a striker to fully occupy defenders it does free the opposition from defensive duties and for a time it just kept coming back. In the end a decent result.

Maybe for Tues Pepple will have the load lifted a bit. You never know.

Moncur is getting stronger and as many have said is quality. Re the killer pass unfortunately this in part requires anticipation and movement by other players- difficult to find killer passes when your team mates are playing statues.

This will improve I think- as team mates understand his game and what he can do. Little things like you can give him the ball when he is in a tight position because he has the skill to retain and recycle- with others it would just turn over possession

A real gritty display to earn a valuable point. Oldham were very passive first half and we found it easy to play around the back, Collin must have had the most touches of the ball in that half. Gus done it again, popping up to head home a set piece to give us a half time lead. Although Taylor nearly spoilt it by losing possession in a dangerous place and Oldham really should have equalised right on half time.
Second half Oldham clearly had been sent out with more purpose and Fondup came on and the pressure started to build. Pepple, who I thought worked hard running the channels when not at 100% was taken off at 60 minutes and we then had our worst spell. The ball no longer stuck up top as Bridge was naturally ineffective as a lone striker. Fondup deservedly equalised with a header from a corner, which will now be a weakness as Cardwell used to clear a lot of them. We looked dead on our feet and destined to lose but miraculously stemmed the tide. Not only that we started to find space in midfield for Moncur to surge forward and Oldham tired. There was only going to be one winner in the last 10 minutes and that was us, if only someone would shoot.

Andeng-Ndi 6.5
Taylor 7
Crowther 7.5
Gubbins 7
Scott-Morriss 7.5
Moncur 8 MOTM
Morton 7.5
Husin 7
Ralph 7.5
Bridge 6.5
Pepple 7

Appiah-Forson 6.5
Wood 5.5
Wind 5

A turgid watch for the neutral in the first half and an entertaining second half. Our game plan worked and was proud of the effort by all concerned. George Moncur my MOTM for running the midfield and always on the turn looking to go forward. One of the culprits though for not trying a shot in the last 10 minutes mainly, but fantastic to keep driving forward to the end. UTB

I can only remember him playing off of a forward - usually Wayne Gray, sometimes Goater or Bradbury or later Harrold - who’d do the hard work for him.

I can’t remember him leading the line by himself but then I may be blocking out his return…
You are right- I don’t think on his return Luggy played one up top either.

I can only remember him playing off of a forward - usually Wayne Gray, sometimes Goater or Bradbury or later Harrold - who’d do the hard work for him.

I can’t remember him leading the line by himself but then I may be blocking out his return…

“Leading the line by himself” seems a bit of a contradiction in terms as there’s basically no line to lead with just one up front!

Back