• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Few of us from Leigh Comm were on the Grimms coach in Sept (I think) 71, including Keith F. SS, TJ, Pete Mash, about 20 at most. When we got to Brentford, as the coach was turning the corner by one of the pubs on the corner of the ground, one of their 'top boys' was outside drinking a pint. When he saw us he tipped his pint over the pavement & gestured (everyone to their own!).
We parked in a playground near their end, last time I went there, it's now houses. We stood on the open end, not many of us there in total, and 2nd half all their mob walked round & stood behind us. We thought we'd have a rough ride back to the coach, but nothing happened. Just as well because they outnumbered us easily 4 to 1.
Oh and we won 2-1!. Following season we played there in March (?) 73, again won 2-1, and that was the day we went in numbers in a convoy of motors which left from The Elms, and we had their end.
We had 13 fans nicked, which made the front page of The News of The World the following day, and that day in detail deserves a thread of it's own, not on this one.

Brenford 73 was our Lincoln 69 .

Agreed, but not the bravest!. In 75 (?) we played Peterborough in the league cup 1st rd, 2 legged tie. Won the 1st at home 2-0, but lost up there 3-0!.
In that game the fat Brother Grimm ( who died in Scotland few years ago) was having a disagreement with Boro fan, who promptly punched him. The skinny brother ( Peter) ran off!!.

Brilliant! I can imagine the look on Peter's face!
There used to be an "almost handbag" thing they would carry. Wonderful memories!

Southend-United-Football-Team-Photo-1968-69-Season.jpg

Few of us from Leigh Comm were on the Grimms coach in Sept (I think) 71, including Keith F. SS, TJ, Pete Mash, about 20 at most. When we got to Brentford, as the coach was turning the corner by one of the pubs on the corner of the ground, one of their 'top boys' was outside drinking a pint. When he saw us he tipped his pint over the pavement & gestured (everyone to their own!).
We parked in a playground near their end, last time I went there, it's now houses. We stood on the open end, not many of us there in total, and 2nd half all their mob walked round & stood behind us. We thought we'd have a rough ride back to the coach, but nothing happened. Just as well because they outnumbered us easily 4 to 1.
Oh and we won 2-1!. Following season we played there in March (?) 73, again won 2-1, and that was the day we went in numbers in a convoy of motors which left from The Elms, and we had their end.
We had 13 fans nicked, which made the front page of The News of The World the following day, and that day in detail deserves a thread of it's own, not on this one.

71 thats when SS and AV got the chickens , when the police got on the coach SS and AV tried to push them out the window but they were too big so SS had to punch them out the window , Kf was with his old mucker JB .

71 thats when SS and AV got the chickens , when the police got on the coach SS and AV tried to push them out the window but they were too big so SS had to punch them out the window , Kf was with his old mucker JB .

Trevor Abbot who passed away on the 12th October this year was also on the coach , RIP Trevor .

remember that well,the police"rounded up" our fans in the Royal oak end(Brentfords),i was just behind,thought they were going to throw them out,because they did not do ANYTHING..but all got done,a bloody joke.
Remember one getting 3 months,he drove there with his motor,if i remember right,OS wrote another L.C lad got 3 months later,when they found him!!
I remember that NOTW write-up...had it for decades,with many other SUFC "stuff",in a little"book" which i always cut out from papers...the little book ended up quite big!!

This must be the most experienced Southend team that played for the club ,Sammy McMillan ,John Kurila ,Gary Moore , Eddie Clayton , Chico Hamilton , Mike Beesley , Tony Bentley , Billy Best and Phil Chisnall had all tasted playing in the old first division , perhaps B,B, The Legend Lives On will correct me if I am wrong .

This must be the most experienced Southend team that played for the club ,Sammy McMillan ,John Kurila ,Gary Moore , Eddie Clayton , Chico Hamilton , Mike Beesley , Tony Bentley , Billy Best and Phil Chisnall had all tasted playing in the old first division , perhaps B,B, The Legend Lives On will correct me if I am wrong .
Think they all played in the top league apart from Tony Bentley as Stoke City did not get to Div.1 until 1962-63 when Tony was already at Roots Hall, the main reason Tony left Stoke was for 1st.team football as he was a right winger and in direct competition with Stanley Matthews. Eddie Clayton played 88+4 games for Spurs and Phil Chisnall played 41 times for Man.Utd. & Liverpool. The others only made a few appearances for their respective clubs at the highest level.

Think they all played in the top league apart from Tony Bentley as Stoke City did not get to Div.1 until 1962-63 when Tony was already at Roots Hall, the main reason Tony left Stoke was for 1st.team football as he was a right winger and in direct competition with Stanley Matthews. Eddie Clayton played 88+4 games for Spurs and Phil Chisnall played 41 times for Man.Utd. & Liverpool. The others only made a few appearances for their respective clubs at the highest level.

Chico Hamilton played 5 games for Chelsea and is to this day both their youngest player and youngest goalscorer scoring against Tottenham at 16 years 138 days.

Chico Hamilton played 5 games for Chelsea and is to this day both their youngest player and youngest goalscorer scoring against Tottenham at 16 years 138 days.

And today is his birthday. Happy birthday Chico!

Eddie Clayton was in the Tottenham team that day .

The following players played in the old Division 1(before 1992 for the youngsters). Sammy McMillan Man.Utd.15 app. 6 goals, John Kurila Northampton Town 20 app. 1 goal, Gary Moore Sunderland 13 app. 2 goals, Eddie Clayton Spurs 88+4 app. 20 goals, Ian"Chico"Hamilton Chelsea 3+2 app. 2 goals, Mike Beesley West Ham United 2 app. 1 goal, Billy Best Northampton Town 4 app. 1 goal & Phil Chisnall Man.Utd. 35 app. 8 goals, Liverpool 6 app. 1goal. Tony Bentley made 44 app. 15 goals for Stoke City which were all in the old Division 2 between 1957-58 until 1960-61 when he joined Southend in May 1961 he then made 379+2 or 3? league appearances and scored 14 goals. Tony also played in 38 cup matches and scored 3 times.

What names and what players!!!
they were the BEST times.. and what CROWDS..to watch them..when -what game did you,the first time STAND in the North bank-PAK Nobbler

So why was Ian "Chico" Hamilton allowed to leave Chelsea? Youngest ever first team player, youngest ever scorer, only made 3 starts - scored twice??? It hardly gets more impressive for a youngster. Yet he was sent to Division 4. Why??
Anyone know??

What names and what players!!!
they were the BEST times.. and what CROWDS..to watch them..when -what game did you,the first time STAND in the North bank-PAK Nobbler
My first match was in the North Bank on the 6th.January 1962 against Torquay United we won this match 2-1 with both goals being scored by Lou Costello in front of 5,998 fans. Life was so different at that time as there was no "PAK" in those days and I am not sure anybody was singing?. As a 12 year old lad I stood down the front just about tall enough to peer over the wall. I was mesmerized and completely in awe, the sheer size of the place was a lot for a youngster to take on board. It's a good 25 years since I last stood in the North Bank but like so many of my friends from that time, there are some still attending and sadly quite a few no longer with us from that "Halcyon" period of the 60's and early 70's. These days when I take my seat in the East(green)Stand I often look over at the north end of the ground and remember the many happy times spent in there and to the exact place I stood on my first visit almost 55 years ago.

Back