• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mine was Coventry City, late 50s I think, won 5-1, stood with my dad on South Bank. The start of a great love affair. COYBB

So why was Ian "Chico" Hamilton allowed to leave Chelsea? Youngest ever first team player, youngest ever scorer, only made 3 starts - scored twice??? It hardly gets more impressive for a youngster. Yet he was sent to Division 4. Why??
Anyone know??
"HOGGY" The answer without a shadow of doubt is two words:- ERNIE SHEPHERD, in the time Ernie was manager of the club he signed Phil Chisnall, Billy Best, John Kurila, Gary Moore, Bill Garner, Mike Beesley to name a few and if you asked any of those players they would tell you exactly the same. Ernie really was one of life's nicest people, very approachable he may not have been our greatest manager(some say he was too nice) but he really was a Top,Top Guy, having said that I am slightly biased as he would often give me and a few others a lift back on the players coach from some really hideous places up North.

The following players played in the old Division 1(before 1992 for the youngsters). Sammy McMillan Man.Utd.15 app. 6 goals, John Kurila Northampton Town 20 app. 1 goal, Gary Moore Sunderland 13 app. 2 goals, Eddie Clayton Spurs 88+4 app. 20 goals, Ian"Chico"Hamilton Chelsea 3+2 app. 2 goals, Mike Beesley West Ham United 2 app. 1 goal, Billy Best Northampton Town 4 app. 1 goal & Phil Chisnall Man.Utd. 35 app. 8 goals, Liverpool 6 app. 1goal. Tony Bentley made 44 app. 15 goals for Stoke City which were all in the old Division 2 between 1957-58 until 1960-61 when he joined Southend in May 1961 he then made 379+2 or 3? league appearances and scored 14 goals. Tony also played in 38 cup matches and scored 3 times.

Fantastic.

Every one of them a hero in his own right.

The following players played in the old Division 1(before 1992 for the youngsters). Sammy McMillan Man.Utd.15 app. 6 goals, John Kurila Northampton Town 20 app. 1 goal, Gary Moore Sunderland 13 app. 2 goals, Eddie Clayton Spurs 88+4 app. 20 goals, Ian"Chico"Hamilton Chelsea 3+2 app. 2 goals, Mike Beesley West Ham United 2 app. 1 goal, Billy Best Northampton Town 4 app. 1 goal & Phil Chisnall Man.Utd. 35 app. 8 goals, Liverpool 6 app. 1goal. Tony Bentley made 44 app. 15 goals for Stoke City which were all in the old Division 2 between 1957-58 until 1960-61 when he joined Southend in May 1961 he then made 379+2 or 3? league appearances and scored 14 goals. Tony also played in 38 cup matches and scored 3 times.
I would just like to add Mel Slack(RIP) to the above list from the 1968-69 team photo, Mel made 2 league appearances in the old 1st.Division for Sunderland & scored 1 goal which came in the 3-1 defeat at Stoke City in 1965. Gary Moore also played in that game in what was his second appearance in the 1st.Team.

Ernie also the fastest trainer to run onto a football pitch when he was needed, armed with a bucket and a wet sponge!

Northampton in the top teir. Iirc they went div 4 to 1 and back to 4 in 10 seasons , with just the one season at the top

Sammy McMillams record at Man Unt 15 app 6 goals is the same as Zlatan Ibrahimovic at the moment .

Looking at those managerial stats, only three managers who managed more than 100 games, achieved a greater win ratio :-

Dave Webb
Eddie Perry
Paul Sturrock

Alvan Williams was slightly higher, as well, managing for 93 games, though.

Three of those five, including Ernie, managed the club at some point in the 1960's.

..when -what game did you,the first time STAND in the North bank-PAK

Cant remember, but was in there v Gillingham 1969 FA Cup 1st Rd as a naïve 12 year old, with Tony (Weasel) Livermore. Remember Gilllinghams skinheads coming in pre game when hardly anybody was about. Weasel said to them 'you wont stay in here when I.L & his mates get here!'. They didn't!. We were too young for them to bother about!.
For the record we drew 0-0 and lost the replay 2-1. A bitter disappointment after the previous years journey to the 4th rd at Mansfield.

So why was Ian "Chico" Hamilton allowed to leave Chelsea? Youngest ever first team player, youngest ever scorer, only made 3 starts - scored twice??? It hardly gets more impressive for a youngster. Yet he was sent to Division 4. Why??
Anyone know??

I was there for one of his three Chelsea starts and he was highly unimpressive on a cold night.Chelsea 0 WBA 2.

Cant remember, but was in there v Gillingham 1969 FA Cup 1st Rd as a naïve 12 year old, with Tony (Weasel) Livermore. Remember Gilllinghams skinheads coming in pre game when hardly anybody was about. Weasel said to them 'you wont stay in here when I.L & his mates get here!'. They didn't!. We were too young for them to bother about!.
For the record we drew 0-0 and lost the replay 2-1. A bitter disappointment after the previous years journey to the 4th rd at Mansfield.

The first game I saw was against Chesterfield April 67 with my new school chum Bob Jennings , and I bet that you were still taller than Weasle even then .

Maybe it's age but those seasons under Shepherd were golden memories .He obviously liked wingers with johnny mckinven and woodley and those Friday night games ,big gates and lots of goals.Classy midfielders and of course King Billy.....if only we'd had mobile phones to record those days!
"HOGGY" The answer without a shadow of doubt is two words:- ERNIE SHEPHERD, in the time Ernie was manager of the club he signed Phil Chisnall, Billy Best, John Kurila, Gary Moore, Bill Garner, Mike Beesley to name a few and if you asked any of those players they would tell you exactly the same. Ernie really was one of life's nicest people, very approachable he may not have been our greatest manager(some say he was too nice) but he really was a Top,Top Guy, having said that I am slightly biased as he would often give me and a few others a lift back on the players coach from some really hideous places up North.

Chico Hamilton played 5 games for Chelsea and is to this day both their youngest player and youngest goalscorer scoring against Tottenham at 16 years 138 days.

Anyone know??

I was there for one of his three Chelsea starts and he was highly unimpressive on a cold night.Chelsea 0 WBA 2.

His three Chelsea starts were against Tottenham, Newcastle (for whom Dave Elliott played in the same match) and Leicester.

He came on as a sub (only one in those days) against West Brom replacing Tony Hateley who I once saw head four goals in one game ! Also a sub against Blackpool.

Sammy McMillams record at Man Unt 15 app 6 goals is the same as Zlatan Ibrahimovic at the moment .

Goalscoring forward and imperious defender.

Read the game brilliantly.

Another thread told us he is still looking after his old mate Phil Chisnall.

One of my all time favourites and also a hero at Wrexham.

His three Chelsea starts were against Tottenham, Newcastle (for whom Dave Elliott played in the same match) and Leicester.

He came on as a sub (only one in those days) against West Brom replacing Tony Hateley who I once saw head four goals in one game ! Also a sub against Blackpool.

You are right,Mick-Hateley got injured very early on.The inside-left,Barry Lloyd was making his debut .The Albion goals came from their diminutive wingers: Clive Clark(hero!) and future Blue Ken Foggo.

My first games were with my dad in the late 60's standing on our huge old South Bank, then progressing to the West Bank or North Paddock. First games I remember in The North Bank were v Dagenham and Villa in the cup.
The first game I ventured into THE PAK was on the 24th February 1973 v Blackburn Rovers...lost 0-1. I was 11 years 7 months old. I bought a scarf at Bell Sports to tie round my wrist to let the senior members of the PAK know i was dangerous too.
The swaying and pushing just amazed me and I am probably extremely lucky that we did lose without scoring as I am not sure I would have survived a goal on my debut.
The following years provided many a goal to celebrate and as an 11, 12, 13 or 14 year old lightweight I had to learn to move from top to bottom and maybe back up again...without falling.
Magical memories.

My first games were with my dad in the late 60's standing on our huge old South Bank, then progressing to the West Bank or North Paddock. First games I remember in The North Bank were v Dagenham and Villa in the cup.
The first game I ventured into THE PAK was on the 24th February 1973 v Blackburn Rovers...lost 0-1. I was 11 years 7 months old. I bought a scarf at Bell Sports to tie round my wrist to let the senior members of the PAK know i was dangerous too.
The swaying and pushing just amazed me and I am probably extremely lucky that we did lose without scoring as I am not sure I would have survived a goal on my debut.
The following years provided many a goal to celebrate and as an 11, 12, 13 or 14 year old lightweight I had to learn to move from top to bottom and maybe back up again...without falling.
Magical memories.

My first game was with my Dad, v Coventry in November '63; lost 2-1 but, I was hooked from that day. My memories of the day are of Ray Smith marauding about up front and our shirts were thick blue and thin white stripes, still my favourite shirt, probably because it was my first match. After the match I can remember Ray Smith and Malcolm Slater walking into what is now the "Fish-House"...Jeez Ray Smith's broken bugle up close was a frightening sight for a 6 year old to see. 53 years later still going...the bloody Great Train Robbers got a shorter sentence than me!!!!

Sorry...could not resist it! When the club is in a mess - how do you make it worse???

299188_10151377061058297_195924805_n.jpg

Hope you framed that Kev and have it hanging on the wall.
Can you put the whole article on Shr.Zone,would love to read it

Back