• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

i got one...Roy..looks like he is playing for Elton Johns WATFORD...twonk

This is when they ruined the pitch by playing American Football on it with the Southend Sabres in the late 80s.

CT7w_uWXAAARh8M.jpg

about the same time Rugby League was also tried at the Hall. I went to one game when Invicta played. It was crap. So pleased to watch Donut and Hatter the following weekend!

Believe it's the only time Villa have been knocked out in the 1st round of the FA Cup.
The first time that Aston Villa were knocked out of the F.A.Cup in the 1st.Round was when they lost 3-1 to Third Division side Torquay United in season 1970-71. However they did play in that season's League Cup Final at Wembley losing 2-0 to Spurs with both goals being scored by Martin Chivers, this was after having beaten Manchester United 3-2 in the semi-final over two legs. When they were beaten 1-0 at Roots Hall the following season of 1971-72 it was the only time they have been beaten by a Fourth Division team. Aston Villa were promoted that season and have never played in the 1st.Round since losing against Southend United over 45 years ago. However looking at the way the current team appear to be playing this could well happen sooner rather than later which is quite sad for a club with such a large fan base.

Not sure if this has been posted before but came across in a football images book,would be great to hear any memories of that game ,and where the photo was taken from20160420_114706.jpg20160420_114738.jpg

Not sure if this has been posted before but came across in a football images book,would be great to hear any memories of that game ,and where the photo was taken fromView attachment 4040View attachment 4041

I think this photo was in an old annual, possibly "Charles Buchan Football Annual" when I was a kid I had a copy of it but lost it over the years,

Southend 2 Brighton 1...Saturday 7th December 1991.
A rare headed goal from Tilly.

[video=youtube;EiYuU5ggJ_A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiYuU5ggJ_A[/video]

Ah, the old Brighton Tesco Carrier Bag kit.

Happy days! :thumbsup:

I was at Sheffield Uni at the time. Always preferred watching United but Wednesday were a very strong Div 3 side at the time with Terry Curran, Andy McCullough and Ian Mellor up front and a typical Jack Charlton defence. United were a more attractive side to watch, including Alex Sabella who went on to manage Argentina.

Plenty of local matches as Rotherham, Chesterfield, Barnsley and Mansfield were all in the same division.

I remember going to watch Rotherham v Sheff Utd at Millmoor and it seemed like 3 sides of the ground were Sheff Utd (away) fans.

I saw us play Barnsley away (think we drew 1-1) with ex Leeds and England Allan Clarke scoring and Norman Hunter also in the team.

The Barnsley game we won 2-1 when "Sniffer" scored against us. Graham Frankiln scored the winner and proceeded to make his way across to the bench giving Dave Smith the two finger treatment all the way. "frank" was shipped out to Norway shortly afterwards.

Back