• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That's how i remember it but it's not strictly true.

Roberts started the season in goal. Bellotti didn't play his first game until February and then of course dislocated his shoulder against Cambridge when Roberts came back for the last 3 games.

It seems like only yesterday. But time plays tricks on the memory!

Derek Belloti played his 1st game for Southend Oct 1970 when he was signed on loan from Charlton for 3 games .

Ken Reynolds!!!! Dont remember him??Did he come through the Youth team??
Ken Reynolds never played for the 1st team and went to Dover , he came back in 1975 and played for Dover against Southend in the FA cup , Southend won 4-0 and went as far as the 5th round losing to Derby 1-0 .

The goalkeeper was Gary Steel & middle row far right was Kenny Reynolds both players only played in the reserve side. For all those anoraks out there the player in front of Goalkeeper Brian Lloyd is Kevin Fallon we signed him from Sligo Rovers in Ireland and he made a total of 4 league appearances in 1970-71. After he left the Blues Kevin emigrated & went on to coach the New Zealand national team at the World Cup 1982 in Spain. Also if anyone saw the F.A.Cup match last night on TV between F.C.United of Manchester & Chesterfield(1-4) his son Rory Fallon was playing for the home side("Sad but True")

when Kevin Fallon was here he was the boyfriend of Katie Kisson who was the sister of Mac Kisson who had a few hits in the 70s , now that is anorak knowledge .

Derek Belloti played his 1st game for Southend Oct 1970 when he was signed on loan from Charlton for 3 games .

Great shout!!!

I knew if i put first game i was likely to be picked up by someone with greater knowledge. :winking:

However, not a brilliant introduction to life with the shrimpers: 0-3, 3-0, 4-3.

Goals For: 7. Goals Against 6. Goal difference +1

At least it was a + difference!

PS Think Bellotti's injury was Collar Bone and not Shoulder as I previously stated.

That's how i remember it but it's not strictly true.

Roberts started the season in goal. Bellotti didn't play his first game until February and then of course dislocated his shoulder against Cambridge when Roberts came back for the last 3 games.

It seems like only yesterday. But time plays tricks on the memory!

That would be Trevor Roberts then??Did we not have a later season, another Roberts in goal??

Trevor Roberts played 171 games for Southend in goal between 1965-70. He very sadly passed away because of a brain tumour in 1972, aged just 30.

:blush::blush::blush::blush:

I can only apologise to the memory of Trevor Roberts.

How i over looked him i will never know.

I'll have to put it down to a 'Senior Moment'. Which worryingly are becoming far to frequent.

Thanks TSNB for the reminder :duh:

If I remember rightly we signed Belloti after John Roberts let in 4 one stormy Friday night at home to Colchester. A hiccup in our promotion season.
This is a great thread - keep it going!!

Followers of this thread should keep an eye on this Twitter feed - https://twitter.com/SUFC_History

Doesn't matter if you're not on Twitter. Just bookmark the above page and visit it every day for some wonderful old pictures.

Like this old team photo from 1980...

Good link that. Much obliged. :cool:

Looks like mid-season 1979-80 that pic.

Parker and Tuohy being replaced by Spence and Mercer, that season, creating the makings of the promotion side of 1980-81.

Good link that. Much obliged. :cool:

Looks like mid-season 1979-80 that pic.

Parker and Tuohy being replaced by Spence and Mercer, that season, creating the makings of the promotion side of 1980-81.

Good call Andy T. However, I would hardly call getting relegated in 79/80 "creating the makings of the promotion side".
If it is indeed the 79/80 squad - they finished 22nd and went down.
Perhaps Colin Morris looked the correct way the following season and thus the title was won.
Memories.

Good point, Kev. Yes, great memories. Friday night's at The Hall. We were invincible at home in 80-81.

Think it was all part of Dave Smith's master-plan.

I guess by "makings" I was thinking of Cawston, Moody, Cusack, Stead, Yates and Hadley (There was a clean sheet back five if ever there was one), plus just a few changes, particularly upfront.

Midfield the likes of Pountney and Otulakowski were key figures in 1980-81.

It must be the 79/80 side in the pic.
That season it all went to the wire. Away to Hull City final day of the season. If we won - we stay up and The Tigers would be relegated.
Under normal circumstances it would be a cracking atmosphere for such a vital match. As it happened, the Rugby League Challenge Cup Final at Wembley was the same day - HULL KR v HULL.
As we saw 90,000 "Hull'ites" heading down the other side of the motorway it was no surprise the attendance was a mere 3,823 - including a fair number of loyal Shrimpers hoping to escape the drop - and Kingston-Upon-Hull was a ghost town that day.
We lost 0-1...and down we went.

Coming back to me now and I remember that Hull City game, though I didn't go.

Looking back through that season, I definitely saw a fair number of home matches and particularly the Good Friday morning game against Sheffield United, which we won 2-1.

We also played Sheffield Wednesday at home the Saturday before.

I'm also pretty sure that when the two Sheffield clubs met on Boxing Day that season, the crowd was over 49,000 which must be close to a record for Division Three.

Think you are right there Andy,i think that was (at the time,maybe still is) the biggest attendance of a div 3 game ever.
Kev,Colin Morris,is still one of my favourite players ever

Coming back to me now and I remember that Hull City game, though I didn't go.

Looking back through that season, I definitely saw a fair number of home matches and particularly the Good Friday morning game against Sheffield United, which we won 2-1.

We also played Sheffield Wednesday at home the Saturday before.

I'm also pretty sure that when the two Sheffield clubs met on Boxing Day that season, the crowd was over 49,000 which must be close to a record for Division Three.
In the 1979-80 season the crowds for the Sheffield derby matches were as follows 26/12/79. Sheffield Wednesday 4, Sheffield United 0.(Att.49,309). 5/4/80. Sheffield United 1, Sheffield Wednesday 1.(Att.45,156). Sheffield Wednesday were promoted at the end of the season. The match at Hillsborough was a record attendance for a Third Division match, beating the previous highest set up on 12/2/72.when Aston Villa beat Bournemouth 2-1 at Villa Park(Att.48,110). Villa were crowned Champions at the end of that 1971-72 winning 32 and drawing 6 of their 46 matches. Ironically they lost in the 1st.Round of the F.A.Cup to our very own Southend United 1-0 at Roots Hall our goal was scored by Billy Best the attendance was 16,929. I believe this is the only time that Villa have been knocked out of the F.A.Cup by a 4th.Division side. Southend United were also promoted at the end of the season being the runners-up to Grimsby Town.

In the 1979-80 season the crowds for the Sheffield derby matches were as follows 26/12/79. Sheffield Wednesday 4, Sheffield United 0.(Att.49,309). 5/4/80. Sheffield United 1, Sheffield Wednesday 1.(Att.45,156). Sheffield Wednesday were promoted at the end of the season. The match at Hillsborough was a record attendance for a Third Division match, beating the previous highest set up on 12/2/72.when Aston Villa beat Bournemouth 2-1 at Villa Park(Att.48,110). Villa were crowned Champions at the end of that 1971-72 winning 32 and drawing 6 of their 46 matches. Ironically they lost in the 1st.Round of the F.A.Cup to our very own Southend United 1-0 at Roots Hall our goal was scored by Billy Best the attendance was 16,929. I believe this is the only time that Villa have been knocked out of the F.A.Cup by a 4th.Division side. Southend United were also promoted at the end of the season being the runners-up to Grimsby Town.
Dad took me to the Villa game. We went in east stand seats for my first time as a 10 year old instead of sitting on the wall in front of the Paddock. Lucky we did as i think there was a pitch invasion and a bit of trouble with the Villa fans on the pitch!!
They didn't like losing to a div 4 team.

Back