• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great day but thought it was Chico Hamilton who scored.Might be wrong getting old now
Chico played his first match after signing from Chelsea against Wrexham in a 1-0 win(Eddie Clayton)at Roots Hall on 6/9/68(Att.11,382), his final match was at Scunthorpe United(lost 4-1 Phil Chisnall) on 12/5/69(Att.1,950). He played 34 league games/2 as sub. He also played in the 4 F.A.Cup matches that season:-King,s Lynn 9-0, Brentwood Town 10-1 at home and the away ties at Swindon Town 2-0 & Mansfield Town 1-2 his goal came in the famous 3rd.round win at Swindon Town. He was sold to Aston Villa in the Summer of '69(I think there is a song in there somewhere) for about £40,000. He played for Aston Villa at Roots Hall in the F.A.Cup 1st.round in November 1971. He also played for Villa in a Testimonial match for Dave Robinson in April 1970.

Was the Billy Best goal v Villa - a header?? Or am I going senile?

Billy Best scored in the 16th minute or it was the 24th min , Nobbler might remember , and was scored in the South Bank End . It is 44 years ago next Friday that Southend beat Villa .

Remember the Villa cup tie. Great atmosphere, they were top of Div 3 and we were, I think, top of Div 4 at the time. The goal was first half, goalie fumbled a high ball under pressure from Bill Garner and Billy Best headed in in front of the South Bank.

Was walking along West Road en route to the game and the chant of 'Villa, Villa' from inside the ground was deafening. I would fumble every high ball if I was under pressure from Big Bad Bill......

In the 1979-80 season the crowds for the Sheffield derby matches were as follows 26/12/79. Sheffield Wednesday 4, Sheffield United 0.(Att.49,309). 5/4/80. Sheffield United 1, Sheffield Wednesday 1.(Att.45,156). Sheffield Wednesday were promoted at the end of the season. The match at Hillsborough was a record attendance for a Third Division match, beating the previous highest set up on 12/2/72.when Aston Villa beat Bournemouth 2-1 at Villa Park(Att.48,110). Villa were crowned Champions at the end of that 1971-72 winning 32 and drawing 6 of their 46 matches. Ironically they lost in the 1st.Round of the F.A.Cup to our very own Southend United 1-0 at Roots Hall our goal was scored by Billy Best the attendance was 16,929. I believe this is the only time that Villa have been knocked out of the F.A.Cup by a 4th.Division side. Southend United were also promoted at the end of the season being the runners-up to Grimsby Town.

I was at Sheffield Uni at the time. Always preferred watching United but Wednesday were a very strong Div 3 side at the time with Terry Curran, Andy McCullough and Ian Mellor up front and a typical Jack Charlton defence. United were a more attractive side to watch, including Alex Sabella who went on to manage Argentina.

Plenty of local matches as Rotherham, Chesterfield, Barnsley and Mansfield were all in the same division.

I remember going to watch Rotherham v Sheff Utd at Millmoor and it seemed like 3 sides of the ground were Sheff Utd (away) fans.

I saw us play Barnsley away (think we drew 1-1) with ex Leeds and England Allan Clarke scoring and Norman Hunter also in the team.

Billy Best scored in the 16th minute or it was the 24th min , Nobbler might remember , and was scored in the South Bank End . It is 44 years ago next Friday that Southend beat Villa .
The following text is taken from the Evening Echo on Monday 22nd.November 1971.:- As the assault on the Villa goal continued, it seemed that United would never get the breakthrough they deserved. But then came the golden goal after 34 minutes. Bill Garner, supreme master of everything in the middle, was the man who provided his colleague with the key to unpick Villa's defensive lock. Goalkeeper Hughes, put off by the centre-forward's challenge, dropped a Ray Ternent free-kick and as the ball bobbled in the goalmouth, Best darted in to nod home at the South Bank End. Billy Best's effort was scant reward for a 45 minutes siege upon the Midlanders goal.

The following text is taken from the Evening Echo on Monday 22nd.November 1971.:- As the assault on the Villa goal continued, it seemed that United would never get the breakthrough they deserved. But then came the golden goal after 34 minutes. Bill Garner, supreme master of everything in the middle, was the man who provided his colleague with the key to unpick Villa's defensive lock. Goalkeeper Hughes, put off by the centre-forward's challenge, dropped a Ray Ternent free-kick and as the ball bobbled in the goalmouth, Best darted in to nod home at the South Bank End. Billy Best's effort was scant reward for a 45 minutes siege upon the Midlanders goal.

34 min I thought it was before that , great game great day , Iknew you would find out when it was scored .

Some great posts, above.

Was just too young to go the Villa game on my own and my dad couldn't take me, but I remember the game.

I think we still currently hold 100% records against Man Utd and Aston Villa!

I was at Sheffield Uni at the time. Always preferred watching United but Wednesday were a very strong Div 3 side at the time with Terry Curran, Andy McCullough and Ian Mellor up front and a typical Jack Charlton defence. United were a more attractive side to watch, including Alex Sabella who went on to manage Argentina.

Plenty of local matches as Rotherham, Chesterfield, Barnsley and Mansfield were all in the same division.

I remember going to watch Rotherham v Sheff Utd at Millmoor and it seemed like 3 sides of the ground were Sheff Utd (away) fans.

I saw us play Barnsley away (think we drew 1-1) with ex Leeds and England Allan Clarke scoring and Norman Hunter also in the team.

Great stuff. Those two Sheffield derbies must have been something else!

This is when they ruined the pitch by playing American Football on it with the Southend Sabres in the late 80s.

CT7w_uWXAAARh8M.jpg

I'll go for Roy, Hatter, Keeley and O'Shea (but not confident).....

Back