• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I played in this game, they were a great side, 0-1 wasn't to bad they had 6 internationals in their side. Dave Barnett

Lol, welcome to the site, hopefully you'll find a lot of happy memories kicking about on here!

I don't suppose anyone has an image of the program from the match we played against Fiorentina in the Anglo-Italian Cup? My Italian tutor is a Fiorentina fan so that would be interesting to show her.

I have the programme at home as I played in the match which we lost 0-1. Dave Barnett

Great memories, Dave.

That Zenit Leningrad programme became legendary in the old programme and souvenir shop by the Priory Park lights.

Happy days.

Great that Dave.B. is now with us...they were great times Dave..now who we need is Billy Best..:Worthy:

roots hall 001.jpg

A work client of mine, who I have regularly bored about watching SUFC even tho he has no interest in football (I'm sure we all do it), collects old newspapers and found the attached in a Southend local rag from 1914 which I thought might be of interest. It shows the old Roots Hall and you can clearly see the old church that is still there today behind the East Stand.

Game is SUFC v Watford. Maybe one or two of our older zoners remember it?:unsure:

PS sorry about it being upside down but I'm sure someone can rectify that - I was just impressed with myself for scanning and attaching it

Good find that.

I wonder what happened to the 9 members of Leigh Wednesday Football Club that enlisted, being as it was only Sept 1914 they were early enlisters.

Also what is the rest of the Target Practise 'joke'.

Top stuff. Not seen many photos of the original East Bank. Wonder if anyone's moaning in there! :winking:

... ps, . 'The Southend and Westcliff Graphic'.

That's how to name a newspaper! :cool:

Great picture,great players..great times...
Although i forget what i did last week, i still remember all those players names..except 2...the smaller keeper,between B.L & M.B,was it Ray White?Gary Steel? also the far right player,middle row?

Kev,not sure,but think its ,was written on the photo, 70-71 team.
The 71-72 promotion team,did not have Phil Chisnall ???playing then,in fact ,Brian Lloyd was not even the keeper .Derek Bellotti was our keeper?
I should remember!!seeing i saw every home&away game that season 71-72.As you wrote Kev,now that WAS a team

What about Billys,Keiths & Dave Chambers Mexican "touch"!!!I think even the late,great skipper Joe Jacques grew one.

Terry Johnson as well,although he is not in that photo,must be the 70-71 mob

I believe it's the 1970/71 squad as first stated.

Back Row: Laurie Leslie, Bill Garner, Brian Lloyd, Gary Steel, Mike Beesley, Keith Lindsey.
Middle Row: Phil Chisnall, Joe Jaques, Gary Moore, Kevin Fallon, Dave Barnett, Owen Simpson, Alec Smith, Ken Reynolds
Front Row: Ian Cowan, Billy Best, Dave Chambers, Arthur Rowley, Tony Bentley, John Baber, Peter Hunt.

Ken Reynolds!!!! Dont remember him??Did he come through the Youth team??

Ken Reynolds!!!! Dont remember him??Did he come through the Youth team??

Neither do I!!!

Can't find any other reference for him. He never made the 1st team and doesn't appear in the 71/72 squad. So he could have been a youth team member who 'never made it'

Great picture,great players..great times...
Although i forget what i did last week, i still remember all those players names..except 2...the smaller keeper,between B.L & M.B,was it Ray White?Gary Steel? also the far right player,middle row?
The goalkeeper was Gary Steel & middle row far right was Kenny Reynolds both players only played in the reserve side. For all those anoraks out there the player in front of Goalkeeper Brian Lloyd is Kevin Fallon we signed him from Sligo Rovers in Ireland and he made a total of 4 league appearances in 1970-71. After he left the Blues Kevin emigrated & went on to coach the New Zealand national team at the World Cup 1982 in Spain. Also if anyone saw the F.A.Cup match last night on TV between F.C.United of Manchester & Chesterfield(1-4) his son Rory Fallon was playing for the home side("Sad but True")

Kev,not sure,but think its ,was written on the photo, 70-71 team.
The 71-72 promotion team,did not have Phil Chisnall ???playing then,in fact ,Brian Lloyd was not even the keeper .Derek Bellotti was our keeper?
I should remember!!seeing i saw every home&away game that season 71-72.As you wrote Kev,now that WAS a team

That's how i remember it but it's not strictly true.

Roberts started the season in goal. Bellotti didn't play his first game until February and then of course dislocated his shoulder against Cambridge when Roberts came back for the last 3 games.

It seems like only yesterday. But time plays tricks on the memory!

Back