• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not being paid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, we’d all have down the same... if indeed that is the case. Ron has always had a knack of being economical with the truth.

Has Ron bought any land recently? Or even been in the market for anything?

I don't now Ron's business and maybe he was lying. I'm just passing on what he stated to a few of us including someone else who posts on here.

How did we manage to survive in the winter of 62-63 when there were no home games between Dec 26 and March 9?

Wages were considerably lower , not much more than the average wage , many still had to get temporary jobs in the summer , I imagine that some players were not paid. DoDts probably has something in his "archives"

The wages now to the championship over 10 years ago and the football world (rightly or wrongly) and money from TV has changed ridiculously, i do not condone the changes but that is a fact. Agents exploit this and it trickles down to all levels.

I hate the term snowflake but the world we live in today is a lot different socially and financially to that over a decade ago. People today expect things rather than work for them in a lot of cases

Wages were considerably lower , not much more than the average wage , many still had to get temporary jobs in the summer , I imagine that some players were not paid. DoDts probably has something in his "archives"

Even as recently as the 80s, players were doing other odd jobs to make ends meet.

Serious question,
Seeing as lower league football is spiralling into a financial mess waiting to blow , what action does the league and respective clubs take in order to add some kind of sustainability. I mean i dread to think some of the figures the players are taking home.
What doesn't sit right with me is that despite cost of living here in Essex being considerably higher than perhaps other places in north which may excuse paying over the odds in terms of wages.
But how on earth can clubs like Accrington , Rochdale , Bristol R can have reasonable budgets and still out perform us by country mile.

Do we just pluck figures out of thin air?

The problem of having rearranged games, as you mention, aren’t exactly an Act of God which unpredictably came out of the blue.

It’s football. Games get called off, or resecheduled every winter due to the weather and FA Cup. Everyone knows this, from the Chairman down to the tea lady.

But for a man who seems to know enough about business, to have offshore interests and holdings, it seems a little counterintuitive for that same man to be unable to forecast cashflow across a season, and certainly odd that he hasn’t taken the notoriously bad months into consideration.

If you’re suggesting that the day-to-day expenditure of the club is too high, then I’d have to refer you to the fact that we’re not the only business of Ron’s, which operates at a loss. In fact, I think you’d be hard pushed to find a business that he owns, that actually does make profit.

All I can say is that he was lucky to be able to afford that month-long Caribbean holiday last year, on top of his shiny Bentley & small mansion on the Benfleet Road. It’s a wonder he’s got any money left to personally pay the last months wages.

But sure, it’s a few games being rearranged, that have crippled us :ROFL:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending him, I'm just saying I think the issues of his management lay elsewhere.

I'm glad he is too, but how sustainable is it in the long-term?

My suspicion is that Fossetts Farm needs to get bigger and bigger every year to make the long-term payoff worth it for Ron. I am sure at least some of the money must be being borrowed against things that haven't yet been built...

Correction - FF needs to get bigger and more complex to enable construction to start, purely to make a business case to release funds. Every time these plans fail to make it to committee, the budget has to accommodate the slack of inflation and market conditions at the time of the new projected start date.
Every time FF gets delayed, every minor design alteration, every missed programme milestone just makes the plans, and therefore their funding, more and more complex.

Even as recently as the 80s, players were doing other odd jobs to make ends meet.

In just the last few years we have had mangers resorting to punditry jus to pay their rent. Its not cheap to live on gods riviera.......Fans need to be more understanding.

In just the last few years we have had mangers resorting to punditry jus to pay their rent. Its not cheap to live on gods riviera.......Fans need to be more understanding.
i think your right, people do not realise that.

People live to their means and lower league footballers are no different to any of us in that respect. The real high end earners, say championship and PL, have it easy the rest will struggle at times, yes it is a luxury job but it may not be all bright and beautiful in the garden. Some players who are shrewd and at the end of their careers play lower league have probably invested well but that is the exception for lower league

Correction - FF needs to get bigger and more complex to enable construction to start, purely to make a business case to release funds. Every time these plans fail to make it to committee, the budget has to accommodate the slack of inflation and market conditions at the time of the new projected start date.
Every time FF gets delayed, every minor design alteration, every missed programme milestone just makes the plans, and therefore their funding, more and more complex.
The delays are all down to Ron, he's the one who keeps delaying submitting plans to the Council. the Council will vote on it when they have something to vote on.

Serious question,
Seeing as lower league football is spiralling into a financial mess waiting to blow , what action does the league and respective clubs take in order to add some kind of sustainability. I mean i dread to think some of the figures the players are taking home.
What doesn't sit right with me is that despite cost of living here in Essex being considerably higher than perhaps other places in north which may excuse paying over the odds in terms of wages.
But how on earth can clubs like Accrington , Rochdale , Bristol R can have reasonable budgets and still out perform us by country mile.

I think this is the biggest concern of all. If there's no change to the status quo then imo there will be many many Bury's in the next 10 years and we are one of the most likely to be next.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending him, I'm just saying I think the issues of his management lay elsewhere.

I think you’re giving credence to factors that should have been under his control in the first place.

His tenure as our Chairman has been mixed, to say the least, and this is just another example of mismanagement, IMO.

Yes, he’s kept the club running by hook or by crook, but let’s not forget the reason why. He needs this club to achieve his ultimate goal of RonWorld.

Now, does that mean we don’t need him? Absolutely not. Without Ron’s dastardly ways, we’d have gone belly-up ages ago. But unless someone actually wants to buy him out, then we’re stuck with him.

I believe the closest we’ve come to that happening was a few months ago, but for whatever reason, they decided not to get into bed with the man, and as I alluded to earlier in the thread, they’re not the first to swerve him.

I think this is the biggest concern of all. If there's no change to the status quo then imo there will be many many Bury's in the next 10 years and we are one of the most likely to be next.

You are probably right. Some clubs may eventually find a buyer but so many of these are the Glenn Tamplins of the world. The future for lower league football does not look good at the moment.

Serious question,

In terms of the EFL exactly what they do about the standard of referring or anything else- absolutely nothing whatsoever. They could look at all sorts of things to help the majority of struggling clubs by capping spending in that area or another- but that is to miss the point that their tendency is always to favour and go along with what the bigger clubs want (and that is not any form of levelling of the playing field as it were)

Just like F1- every time the governing body want to cap spending/cost in any area to help the mid and lower teams the big spenders at Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull veto it. Much easier for the EFL to upset a Bury than a Bolton..

And it cost about 3/6d to stand on the terraces, so all costs/income are relative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back