• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kensdale update

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you get the protecting reasons, then I think you've pretty muich answered your own question mate!

Surely that (bolded bits) would have caused the sort of unhelpful speculation and distraction, both around and at the games over the Bank Holiday weekend, that I alluded to in my post?

The reason why they went for the illness line is there in black and white.

There was little to no unhelpful speculation or distraction around Kensdale at either match at the weekend, because there appeared to be no reason to question the illness explanation.

Trying to use the same explanation again for this weekend would have started to cause some raised eyebrows.

Nobody at the club has woken up one morning and said "I know, lets lie to the supporters!". It's really not that deep, and I'm struggling to see why it's such a big deal to some. Yes, we all want transparency and honesty, but there will be some occasions where it's deemed best not to reveal too much, and we're not entitled to anything - even a "suspended until further notice, investigation ongoing, no further comment" - when it's as much a personal matter for somebody as it is anything else.

And to be fair, how do we know that he isn't ill? Or that part of this sorry scenario could be explained away under the broad umbrella term of an "illness", therefore meaning no lie was technically told?

We might not have the nation's press at Roots Hall asking questions about this, but we also don't have the luxury of a top class and/or adequately-staffed PR and Comms operation like a Premier League club has. I'm not saying the way it has been handled or communicated has been perfect, and I'm sure there will be some lessons learned here and there, but like I said - it's easy to throw stones when you're not the person or team having to make snappy decisions, possibly without a full picture yet, and with a delicate situation.
Your last paragraph has something going for it, not so sure about the previous.
There is no reason why SUFC media should be lacking: believe me, and I speak from 30 years experience, how to handle this sort of thing is far from rocket science, and needs no snappy decision.
It needs a few-minutes thought-out response from whoever is in charge of media: maybe, even advising the club what to say?
To answer your second paragraph: why is it a big deal the club has apparently lied?
I'll let others answer that, because if it can't be seen for what is: an obfuscated response at best: or a bungled deceit at worst, then we're kidding ourselves.

The club have been open and honest. The ‘illness’ line is standard at all cubs for it’s an ongoing matter and none of you or anyone else’s business at the present time.

It isn’t the standard line for all clubs and if as you say the club have been open and honest then I look forward to his return from illness.

Your last paragraph has something going for it, not so sure about the previous.
There is no reason why SUFC media should be lacking: believe me, and I speak from 30 years experience, how to handle this sort of thing is far from rocket science, and needs no snappy decision.
It needs a few-minutes thought-out response from whoever is in charge of media: maybe, even advising the club what to say?
To answer your second paragraph: why is it a big deal the club has apparently lied?
I'll let others answer that, because if it can't be seen for what is: an obfuscated response at best: or a bungled deceit at worst, then we're kidding ourselves.
It’s genuinely concerning how much you care about something so trivial.

It is a little concerning yet not surprising how quickly some are to question the club and especially Kev Maher’s integrity. He was asked pitchside for the team pre Barnet away. It went something like (I can’t recall exact wording) Reporter: No Ollie Kensdale today in defence, to which he responded no, he’s come down with something last night so Adam Crowther comes in. Then the conversation naturally shifted..

For all we know Kev has genuinely been told that and relayed it. If he has given that line knowing something else is why he isn’t playing, that is also ok. That’s likely in advice and for the greater good whilst it’s under investigation. It was neither the time nor place to disclose that, and also imagine he did. We lost that game to Barnet. He’d have been met post match with accusations from some of creating an excuse for the performance and result. He’s damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t at times.

Last edited:
In all probability its unlikely the fanbase will ever know the circumstances surrounding the issues with any players if it's a disciplinary matter,unless of course parties agree to divulge.

What's upsetting for Kevin he has lost a player whom he would normally start any game but he does have adequate replacement.The potential loss of Coker or Miley for Saturday is a bigger issue for him

Wouldnt it just be nice to have a normal week supporting Southend

people moaning to each other about singing or not singing at RH
people moaning that we still havnt signed another forward when clearly work is going on
people moaning that kev said one of his players is ill when clearly there is more to it
people moaning that Jack Bridge isnt the player he was after a couple of off days
People moaning about 1 defeat in our first 5 games

And here i am moaning about people moaning ..... but you get my point
Just want a normal week where we are happt just talking about football and Saturdays game

In all probability its unlikely the fanbase will ever know the circumstances surrounding the issues with any players if it's a disciplinary matter,unless of course parties agree to divulge.

What's upsetting for Kevin he has lost a player whom he would normally start any game but he does have adequate replacement.The potential loss of Coker or Miley for Saturday is a bigger issue for him
Of course it will come out, only a matter of time before one of the club staff tells his Mrs, who tells her best mate at work who is married to a Southend fan and wallop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back