• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

Sean-Bean-sean-bean-31014524-2560-2048.jpg

We have the French to thank for forks, the English always used to favour spoons. Every wondered why the devil is pictured holding a fork?

Wiki suggests it was the Italians.

The first recorded introduction of the fork to Western Europe was by Theophano Sklereina, the Byzantine wife of Holy Roman Emperor Otto II, who nonchalantly wielded one at an Imperial banquet in 972, astonishing her Western hosts.[9] By the 11th century, the table fork had become increasingly prevalent in the Italian peninsula. It gained a following in Italy before any other Western European region because of historical ties with Byzantium, and continued to gain popularity due to the increasing presence of pasta in the Italian diet.[10] At first, pasta was consumed using a long wooden spike, but this eventually evolved into three spikes, a design better suited to gathering the noodles.

QT was from Cardiff last night and had some focus on next years regional elections in Wales (and Scotland). The JC factor will be interesting as I expect Labour to regain some votes from SNP but lose some in Wales to all 4 of UKIP, Libs, Tories and Welsh Clydd lot party.

QT was from Cardiff last night and had some focus on next years regional elections in Wales (and Scotland). The JC factor will be interesting as I expect Labour to regain some votes from SNP but lose some in Wales to all 4 of UKIP, Libs, Tories and Welsh Clydd lot party.

Don't forget there also also some 200+ council seats in the UK up for grabs too.

Only one JC supporter on last night's panel,Charlotte Church.

You fancy opening the betting on the next election then Barna? I'll go a tenner with you.

Didn't you get hammered last time round?

Sadiq Khan became the Labour mayoral candidate with 32,926 votes and today Zac Goldsmith became the Tory candidate with 6,514 votes so Zac is already well behind in the enthusiasm stakes!

Sadiq Khan became the Labour mayoral candidate with 32,926 votes and today Zac Goldsmith became the Tory candidate with 6,514 votes so Zac is already well behind in the enthusiasm stakes!

Well it was the faithful from both parties that voted and those who paid a couple of quid to add their tuppence worth so that really means nothing at the moment. Sadiq Khan is a very good campaigner and can call on huge resources to rally round but I don't know, I just think Goldsmith shouldn't be written off quite yet, he's a clever bugger and very popular in his own right. It going to be a close one but I think Khan will edge it.

Well it was the faithful from both parties that voted and those who paid a couple of quid to add their tuppence worth so that really means nothing at the moment. Sadiq Khan is a very good campaigner and can call on huge resources to rally round but I don't know, I just think Goldsmith shouldn't be written off quite yet, he's a clever bugger and very popular in his own right. It going to be a close one but I think Khan will edge it.
It's an indication of feet on the ground when it comes to canvassing. But yes it doesn't indicate how the public will vote.
If the government ever manage to make one - the decision on Heathrow will effect Zac, he said he would quit as an MP if that didn't go his way, not sure if that would effect his decision to stand for mayor though.

It's an indication of feet on the ground when it comes to canvassing. But yes it doesn't indicate how the public will vote.
If the government ever manage to make one - the decision on Heathrow will effect Zac, he said he would quit as an MP if that didn't go his way, not sure if that would effect his decision to stand for mayor though.

I'd forgotten all about Heathrow. Goldsmith tied his colours to the mast long ago over Heathrow so that might be a stumbling block as an MP but didn't he say he would give up his seat if elected mayor? He is very big on Green issues to the point of being a pain in the arse for my industry and he does seem to stick to what he preaches. Not overly keen on Europe either which I would expect Khan to leap on straight away. This could be interesting in as much as Goldsmith isn't big on attacking opponents personally and Khan, I understand, isn't big on it either. This might be the most polite, political punch-up in years. Sort of sorry I don't live in London.

I'd forgotten all about Heathrow. Goldsmith tied his colours to the mast long ago over Heathrow so that might be a stumbling block as an MP but didn't he say he would give up his seat if elected mayor? He is very big on Green issues to the point of being a pain in the arse for my industry and he does seem to stick to what he preaches. Not overly keen on Europe either which I would expect Khan to leap on straight away. This could be interesting in as much as Goldsmith isn't big on attacking opponents personally and Khan, I understand, isn't big on it either. This might be the most polite, political punch-up in years. Sort of sorry I don't live in London.
JC keeps talking about a new kind of politics with debate not attacks but it doesn't seem to have been taken to heart by anyone else yet. As you say Sadiq and Zac don't go in for personal attacks and maybe that can set the scene for proper debate nationally and people to feel more involved. May be wishful thinking.

Thanks for checking out Jesus Lizard btw - will mention it here rather than clutter the boards!

You fancy opening the betting on the next election then Barna? I'll go a tenner with you.

Didn't you get hammered last time round?

Ha!Think I'll keep my powder dry for a bit-unless you're offering odds of course.

(No, is the answer to your second question,btw.A 2-1 defeat, IIRC).

I think you're right that he'll win but SK does comes across as a bit boring on the box.

Think we've had enough Old Etonians in charge of London (and the country) recently.:smiles:

I think you're right that he'll win but SK does comes across as a bit boring on the box.

Think we've had enough Old Etonians in charge of London (and the country) recently.:smiles:
I've met Sadiq and seen him speak to an audience and he comes across well - confident in what he is saying and with a sense of humour. Few politicians are on TV regularly it's always the same faces so TV time is probably a bit unsettling. He will be on more often from now I should think and be able to be himself more. It's good that both parties have likeable candidates so you can vote for one rather than against the other. And I know there are other parties but in London it's a two horse race IMO

Back