• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

Doesn't make you wonder why Scargill hasn't popped back up again. Would have thought he would be in his element what with this brave new dawn. At least I know why the BBC are bringing back Citizen Smith.

I think if you delve into the coal mines, yes they were lost making, no one will deny that, but think logically if you can as Labour hater,
If you kept the mines open at a lost, men and women would be in work, which means they have money to spend and re invest in the country via Taxes,shops, pubs,leisure etc, by closing down mines you close down Towns,which means further decay and poverty.
Having to pay social payments, housing benefits, streets going to ruin which cost council millions to invest , small shops close because no one is buying or the suppliers that supply the small shops going under.
Millions going into food banks which is now a common sight, thats fact not tosh, kids kicking off in the street, not right, but it will happen through boredom, putting them on schemes that pay below living wage with no chance of a job at the end of it

So perhaps running mines that are non productive or non profitable isnot a bad idea, I would not know the costs for keeping them running to closing and having towns shut down, but I wager a good bet, the difference is not major as many like to portray

Its very easy to be against something,when in work and maybe working 60 hours on minimum wage and feeling aggrieved, but if put in the situation of no hope or a family starving, I think maybe people focus would be different

UTS

I think if you delve into the coal mines, yes they were lost making, no one will deny that, but think logically if you can as Labour hater,
If you kept the mines open at a lost, men and women would be in work, which means they have money to spend and re invest in the country via Taxes,shops, pubs,leisure etc, by closing down mines you close down Towns,which means further decay and poverty.
Having to pay social payments, housing benefits, streets going to ruin which cost council millions to invest , small shops close because no one is buying or the suppliers that supply the small shops going under.
Millions going into food banks which is now a common sight, thats fact not tosh, kids kicking off in the street, not right, but it will happen through boredom, putting them on schemes that pay below living wage with no chance of a job at the end of it

So perhaps running mines that are non productive or non profitable isnot a bad idea, I would not know the costs for keeping them running to closing and having towns shut down, but I wager a good bet, the difference is not major as many like to portray

Its very easy to be against something,when in work and maybe working 60 hours on minimum wage and feeling aggrieved, but if put in the situation of no hope or a family starving, I think maybe people focus would be different

UTS

So let me just get this straight , reopen non productive and non profitable mines, and presumably top dollar wages so as to preserve towns, villages and local economies. Eh, who or what pays for that piece of genius? As for hating Labour, well with suggestions like what you have presented you have just answered your own question.

UTS

Maybe you would have had a point when the mines were first shut, but it's been years since then, kids aren't growing up expecting to be a miner. There's no reason for the government to finance an industry that's been dead for years, if you want to create jobs then open up some public sector jobs in an industry that will be useful.

Doesn't make you wonder why Scargill hasn't popped back up again.

Didn't he pop up briefly the other year taking the NUM to court because they couldn't afford to keep him in the lifestyle he was accustomed to? Something to do with his Luxury £1.5m London apartment.

So let me just get this straight , reopen non productive and non profitable mines, and presumably top dollar wages so as to preserve towns, villages and local economies. .
Makes you wonder why the previous Labour governments didn't bother, or would it be fait to assume they didn't know what they were doing?

No but plenty of lefties didn't want them closed so why didn't they re open them when they were in power?

I don't think the resentment of Tories/Thatcher necessarily comes solely from the closing of unnecessary/inefficient mines, but from how relatively unskilled people we left with no opportunities/no jobs and communities were left to rot.

I don't think the resentment of Tories/Thatcher necessarily comes solely from the closing of unnecessary/inefficient mines, but from how relatively unskilled people we left with no opportunities/no jobs and communities were left to rot.

Yeah, but they were all up north so who cares?

Back