• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

Obviously this is all a hilarious joke but the more the press lay into him for what colour poppy he will where (if they had waited for him to say the answer is red), the amount of women in his cabinet (if they had waited for the complete list to be announced they would have known there are more women than men despite the two female leadership rivals not wanting to be considered), whether he has stolen a sandwich or two (the organisers has stated they were for all the guests and you can see photos of staff handing them to him rather than taking them), whether he sings a song about an undemocratic leader reigning over us (if he had sung those lines they would have hailed him a hypocrite) the more the public realise that the press are desperate to attack him and the childish slights they are resorting to make them seem irrelevant more than him.
Distrust of the media vs distrust of politicians - at the moment the media are not looking capable of holding anyone to account, the panic in their methods just make you wonder how scared they are of the potential of change.

Jezza has now entered the world of mainstream politics,since his election he has ignored the press which made him look silly,he was late for his TUC entrance and not singing the anthem has compounded his unsteady start as leader.

Even Labour bigwigs are dismayed by his actions!

I think it has been brilliant to behold.

Long live the Queen.

I wonder what the old service men and women thought about the way he was dressed then? There's every one of them suited and booted, with crisp creases and all that goes with that and there's him looking like Michael Foot's son! I just thought the whole thing was disrespectful. There is no excuse for him to wear mismatched clothing and having his top button undone.

I think mrsblue has a point and that there will be many Labour party members in despair at his display.

I wonder what the old service men and women thought about the way he was dressed then? There's every one of them suited and booted, with crisp creases and all that goes with that and there's him looking like Michael Foot's son! I just thought the whole thing was disrespectful. There is no excuse for him to wear mismatched clothing and having his top button undone.

I think mrsblue has a point and that there will be many Labour party members in despair at his display.

Very true,

Ex servicemen and women planned and planned again for this event,turning up in their finery,yet Jezza looked as though he had been on a drinking bender.

I give him 1 year before he is toppled.

Obviously this is all a hilarious joke but the more the press lay into him for what colour poppy he will where (if they had waited for him to say the answer is red), the amount of women in his cabinet (if they had waited for the complete list to be announced they would have known there are more women than men despite the two female leadership rivals not wanting to be considered), whether he has stolen a sandwich or two (the organisers has stated they were for all the guests and you can see photos of staff handing them to him rather than taking them), whether he sings a song about an undemocratic leader reigning over us (if he had sung those lines they would have hailed him a hypocrite) the more the public realise that the press are desperate to attack him and the childish slights they are resorting to make them seem irrelevant more than him.
Distrust of the media vs distrust of politicians - at the moment the media are not looking capable of holding anyone to account, the panic in their methods just make you wonder how scared they are of the potential of change.

He's been nicking sandwiches as well? The swine!!

He was wearing a suit jacket and tie. He was there paying his respects and he just doesn't rock old school tie look. Really doesn't matter.
And MrsBlue never has a point, if she ever has one it gets swamped in puerile repetition.

And you should take a look at 40s history. She served in uniform as a mechanic and could strip down an entire engine and put it back together again. Her mother would regularly visit bomb sites which did no end of good for moral and her father would practice shooting a revolver in the grounds of Buckingham Palace in case of invasion. And, I might point out, the royalty stayed in London during the duration of the war ,unlike the gutless De Gualle or the Dutch royalty.

Nothing you say contradicts what I said about the thirties.

There's no question that the Duke of Windsor and his wife were Nazi sympathisers.

This is about right on the whole national anthem furore

Last edited:
According to the gutter press. They are trying to make him seem irrelevant by only writing non stories about him and trying to bore us into losing interest in politics.

Who is "us"? The population at large? The Labour Party? The left wing voters? Just trying to work out who you speak for when you make these soapbox statements...

You're right, when was the last time character assassination had any affect on votes...?

The press can what they like about either party, the fact remains that Jeremy Corbyn will not ever lead this country mostly for the reasons I mentioned at #672. He will attract nothing more than a "cult" following and nothing that will come close to threatening the Tories in 2020 no matter how excited you lefties are getting about him.

I suggest you read up on 30's British history.

Further to Rigsby's slur against the left above, I'm proud to say that one my uncles-in-law, fought against Fascism in Spain,as of course,did many who joined the International Brigades to fight against Franco.

The Daily Mail and the Express's support for the Nazis in the 30's, is a matter of historical record,as indeed is that of the Windsors and many of the aristocracy.I'd point you toward Nancy Mitford's diaries for a first hand account of meeting up with Hitler, for starters.

So now who's using Daily Mail tactics? Tacking part of some ones answer and twisting it with an irrelevant story. Maybe you should read the whole of post 708 and the post I was making a connection.

British politics in the 1930's were far more left wing than they are now. The only way Labour could win in the 90's was to appeal to the right. The only way the Tories could win in the 30's was to appeal to the left . The whole country had an aversion to war because obviously the pain of WW1 was very raw. Add some extreme poverty for the working classes and we had a political climate for change world wide.

It may seem hard to believe but under the Tories we saw the arrival of paid holiday for workers, less hours for women and children, slum clearance, improved housing and even a clampdown on big business.

My original point was that a left wing Britain dismissed ( understandably at the time) Churchill and his concerns. In much the same way you dismiss anyone who thinks there could be just one terrorist hiding amongst the 70% of refugees who are not even from Syria but using it as an excuse to enter illegally into Europe.

Out of interest was your uncle-in-law Spanish or British?
Who was worse Stalin or Franco?

Who is "us"? The population at large? The Labour Party? The left wing voters? Just trying to work out who you speak for when you make these soapbox statements...

You're right, when was the last time character assassination had any affect on votes...?

Bang on the money!

Corbyn is currently enjoying cult status from the misguided who voted for him,it will of course end in tears !

Of course, as an athesitic republican, why would he sing "God Save The Queen". He believes in neither.

But if he had sung, then the Mail and Sun and the rest of the scum would have branded him a hyprocrite.

So hey, Jezza, stick to your beliefs, don't pander to Murdoch and co....

And its indicative of the British "press", that this is headline news whereas the descruction of many family budget by the needless and ill thought out reduction in tax credit hardly gets a mention. And for many of you, that will have a direct impact on you or your kids rather than whether someone sang a song or not.

Get a grip, the ****ing lot of you.

Wonder if Jezza will kneel before the Queen,kissing her hand for the £6,000,000 party fund !

That story has been rubbished by The Sun's own source, btw. There's no link between the privy council and the Short money. It is pretty pathetic journalism.

There's plenty to attack about the guy's political beliefs without making up non-stories which idiots will blindly believe.

Of course, as an athesitic republican, why would he sing "God Save The Queen". He believes in neither.

But if he had sung, then the Mail and Sun and the rest of the scum would have branded him a hyprocrite.

So hey, Jezza, stick to your beliefs, don't pander to Murdoch and co....

And its indicative of the British "press", that this is headline news whereas the descruction of many family budget by the needless and ill thought out reduction in tax credit hardly gets a mention. And for many of you, that will have a direct impact on you or your kids rather than whether someone sang a song or not.

Get a grip, the ****ing lot of you.

Indeed. Anyone remember this?

So now who's using Daily Mail tactics? Tacking part of some ones answer and twisting it with an irrelevant story. Maybe you should read the whole of post 708 and the post I was making a connection.

British politics in the 1930's were far more left wing than they are now. The only way Labour could win in the 90's was to appeal to the right. The only way the Tories could win in the 30's was to appeal to the left . The whole country had an aversion to war because obviously the pain of WW1 was very raw. Add some extreme poverty for the working classes and we had a political climate for change world wide.

It may seem hard to believe but under the Tories we saw the arrival of paid holiday for workers, less hours for women and children, slum clearance, improved housing and even a clampdown on big business.

My original point was that a left wing Britain dismissed ( understandably at the time) Churchill and his concerns. In much the same way you dismiss anyone who thinks there could be just one terrorist hiding amongst the 70% of refugees who are not even from Syria but using it as an excuse to enter illegally into Europe.

Out of interest was your uncle-in-law Spanish or British?
Who was worse Stalin or Franco?

Think you'll find that Churchill wasn't actually "dismissed" by the British public until 1945, though he was certainly ignored by them inthe 30's.The idea that Stanley Baldwin and Neville Chamberlain or even the hated Ramsay MacDonald were "left wing" is frankly ludicrous.

FYI,my UIL was British and was a Bevin boy during WW2 (ie he worked down the mines).

Obviously both Franco and Stalin were dictators.Most people would say that Stalin was far worse (I'd probably agree).However his role as leader of the Red Army in WW2 should never be forgotten by anyone in the WEST.

Think you'll find that Churchill wasn't actually "dismissed" by the British public until 1945, though he was certainly ignored by them inthe 30's.The idea that Stanley Baldwin and Neville Chamberlain or even the hated Ramsay MacDonald were "left wing" is frankly ludicrous.

FWIW,my UIL was British and was a Bevin boy during WW2 (ie he worked down the mines).

Obviously both Franco and Stalin were dictators.Most people would say that Stalin was far worse (I'd probably agree).However his role as leader of the Red Army in WW2 should never be forgotten by anyone in the WEST.

Interesting that your a political history denier. I'm not claiming Baldwin and Chamberlain could care less about my great grandfather, who was killed in an accident in the London docks. Its just at the time in order to win power they had to improve the lives of the starving working classes. Something Churchill overlooked at the end of the war. Labours 1945 victory shocked the world. The people weren't so easily fooled back then, they would have never listened to Murdoch. After six years of war they wanted something for them. The NHS and the Welfare State were fantastic ideas for their time.

I assumed you meant your UIL was in Spain in the 1930's. How come he was a Bevan boy?

Are you not still benefitting from Franco. I mean what if Spain had become another puppet state of the USSR, like say East Germany.

Us being the general public. If you are more interested in whether a politician sings a song of allegiance to a monarch that he isn't allied to than you are about policy then I apologise for my high expectations of you.

the press can what they like about either party, the fact remains that jeremy corbyn will not ever lead this country mostly for the reasons i mentioned at #672. He will attract nothing more than a "cult" following and nothing that will come close to threatening the tories in 2020 no matter how excited you lefties are getting about him.
facts? ......

Back