• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

Was that the photo from last week that gave you the feeling of open mindedness or the one taken a few weeks after the Brighton Bombings?
Talking to the enemy was necessary for the Good Friday Agreement. If the head of TFL - Boris Johnson was prepared to talk to the enemy (the representatives of the TFL staff) there may have been some tubes running today.

All he will do is make Labour un-electable and unable to function as an effective opposition; in short him being elected would be a Tory dream.
Scaring off voters made me want to steer clear of JC but the support he has been given from party members and the mass numbers of people turning up to listen to his speeches makes me wonder if he could be the way back into power rather than the prevention of it. He is speaking about things people want to talk about in language that is resonating with increasing numbers of people. Too early to write him off I think.

If a person (in this case the Labour Party) is, to use an old metaphor, digging a big hole; and they are disliked by the press then does the press (Tory controlled?) want to stop them digging or let them carry on?
When/if JC gets elected, at some point he will get destroyed by the press and with him the Labour Party will be stuck in the damn huge hole it has dug for itself; leaving us Plebs ruled by the toffs and bankers who carry on & pursue their own schemes, line their fat pockets and widen the gap between have/have nots.

As stated earlier the Tories would welcome a Labour leader like Corbyn.

If a person (in this case the Labour Party) is, to use an old metaphor, digging a big hole; and they are disliked by the press then does the press (Tory controlled?) want to stop them digging or let them carry on?
When/if JC gets elected, at some point he will get destroyed by the press and with him the Labour Party will be stuck in the damn huge hole it has dug for itself; leaving us Plebs ruled by the toffs and bankers who carry on & pursue their own schemes, line their fat pockets and widen the gap between have/have nots.

As stated earlier the Tories would welcome a Labour leader like Corbyn.

First of all,of course, Jeremy Corybn has to win the leadership contest.That is now looking a distict possibility (for many of the reasons that *** mentions above).

If he does,that would signal that Labour has moved massively to the left.

Whether "the Tories would welcome a Labour leader like Corbyn," or more importantly whether he would make Labour unelectable, remains to be seen.

First of all,of course, Jeremy Corybn has to win the leadership contest.That is now looking a distict possibility (for many of the reasons that *** mentions above).

If he does,that would signal that Labour has moved massively to the left.

Whether "the Tories would welcome a Labour leader like Corbyn," or more importantly whether he would make Labour unelectable, remains to be seen.

I will still be surprised if Corbyn is the candidate of choice. Whether the Tories would welcome it or not is irrelevant, what is relevant is that those people in this country that are Labour Party members and those who are truly left wing in their thinking will welcome it. Will that be enough to win a general election? - Extremely unlikely as there are not enough LP members and left wingers in this country to achieve a voting majority.

If he is successful then I can see there being a period of Corbyn Labour and then another challenge will emerge similar to new Labour.

Would you expect him to condemn the atrocities caused by the UFF/UDA and British Army during the troubles? Asking someone to try and 'pick sides' regarding NI is stupid and futile.

I quite like that photo of Corbyn with Gerry Adams and McGuinness - it strikes me as an open-minded person who's willing to have a coffee and a chat with fellow politicians, is that a crime?

However my general concern/issue with Corbyn (which I guess is in line with the general point of that Telegraph article) is that he does seem to have a worrying soft spot for international dictators who have been complicit and guilty of awful crimes and atrocities (Gaddafi, Chavez, Putin, Castro et al).

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/james-bloodworth-left-wing-case-against-comrade-jeremy-corbyn-1513969

Sorry Pubey for the single highlighted bit, very rude and the way you worded it deserves a proper answer(a hang up of a certain person who's very same tactic drove me to unfairly use it against you, my apologies)

I'll answer each paragraph as I'm rubbish at splitting into separate quotes,

Yes, I would expect him to condemn all violence from all factions in NI, he hasn't done that. He was well known for his role with TROOPS OUT and his condemnation of the protestant groups and the British Army but noticeably silent on atrocities carried out by the IRA or INLA. That course of action has appeared to not have changed.

Having a cosy chat with two terrorists who wouldn't shred a single tear if the building they were meeting in was blown up seconds after they left isn't a crime, morally, I'm not so sure.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3169752/Jeremy-Corbyn-invites-Gerry-Adams-Martin-McGuinness-Parliament.html

Forgive the link, it was the first one to pop up but it's worth seeing what Norman Tebbet had to say. Dig a picture out of him being rescued from the debris when you get time, stare at it for a couple of minutes, it will then be forever in your mind. I won't bother you with a tedious list of other targets and atrocities except one, Warren Point. I met the parents of one of the survivors when I took the pub they were running, over. The first words out of the mothers mouth were to my Irish wife She said 'I'm glad my son isn't here tonight, it would cause quite a scene what with a Irish girl taking over the place' That was the lasting impression on her now wheelchair bound son. I doubt Corbyn and his mates would be too bothered about that though.

As for your final paragraph, well not an awful lot I can say about that apart from yes, I agree. Hope that's a bit better than my previous effort.

Sorry Pubey for the single highlighted bit, very rude and the way you worded it deserves a proper answer(a hang up of a certain person who's very same tactic drove me to unfairly use it against you, my apologies)

I'll answer each paragraph as I'm rubbish at splitting into separate quotes,

Yes, I would expect him to condemn all violence from all factions in NI, he hasn't done that. He was well known for his role with TROOPS OUT and his condemnation of the protestant groups and the British Army but noticeably silent on atrocities carried out by the IRA or INLA. That course of action has appeared to not have changed.

Having a cosy chat with two terrorists who wouldn't shred a single tear if the building they were meeting in was blown up seconds after they left isn't a crime, morally, I'm not so sure.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3169752/Jeremy-Corbyn-invites-Gerry-Adams-Martin-McGuinness-Parliament.html

Forgive the link, it was the first one to pop up but it's worth seeing what Norman Tebbet had to say. Dig a picture out of him being rescued from the debris when you get time, stare at it for a couple of minutes, it will then be forever in your mind. I won't bother you with a tedious list of other targets and atrocities except one, Warren Point. I met the parents of one of the survivors when I took the pub they were running, over. The first words out of the mothers mouth were to my Irish wife She said 'I'm glad my son isn't here tonight, it would cause quite a scene what with a Irish girl taking over the place' That was the lasting impression on her now wheelchair bound son. I doubt Corbyn and his mates would be too bothered about that though.

As for your final paragraph, well not an awful lot I can say about that apart from yes, I agree. Hope that's a bit better than my previous effort.

Cheers - that's interesting stuff and food for thought.

In further evidence of his lunacy, Jez wants to spend £185bn on renationalising the big six energy firms - http://www.theguardian.com/business...nalising-energy-sector-185bn?CMP=share_btn_tw

Watch the Greenpeace interview in full. He then went onto say that renationalising energy generation would be impossible under his plans for more distributed generation and wider rollout of solar PV on rooftops. He was more talking up the potential of taking public control of grid infrastructure than the Big Six.

Scaring off voters made me want to steer clear of JC but the support he has been given from party members and the mass numbers of people turning up to listen to his speeches makes me wonder if he could be the way back into power rather than the prevention of it. He is speaking about things people want to talk about in language that is resonating with increasing numbers of people. Too early to write him off I think.

Genuine question, what, if anything, attracts you to his way of thinking? It makes little difference to me either way when it comes to who Labour might choose as their next leader, in voting for them, I'm somewhere between not never and not ever but I do understand the importance of a strong opposition to hold the present day government to account. Do you think JC can unite the party or is him winning more than likely going to cause an split?

Jeremy Corbyn becoming leader? yes please!!! will be the biggest disaster since Michael Foot. Can seriously see a SDP like split on the cards here.

As Karl Marx used to say- "History always repeats itself.First as tragedy,second as farce."

However,the circumstances in the Labour party are very different now from what they were back in the 80's.

For starters, there's nothing like a SDP group waiting in the wings.

The gift that just keeps on giving.

You would gain more credibility by quoting Mystic Meg on what the future may hold rather than Marx.

You'll find that my typos had been corrected before you posted this.

From what I remember of reading the Mystic Meg books aloud to our kids, she didn't go in for political philosopy.Marx did.

Actually, this thread is supposed to be about who will win the leadership of the Labour party -something you've already confessed you have no particular interest in.So why not play nicely and butt out?

There's that duck again. My interest is in who might be the leader of the opposition, not some bollocks quote from a long dead tosser who's vision of the world was to slaughter as many people as possible in the name of the worker class. You might see those types as working class hero's, the rest of us see them as working class murderers, so I would suggest you butt out or perhaps consider a move to somewhere more suitable to your warped view of utopia, North Korea springs to mind.

Actually, this thread is supposed to be about who will win the leadership of the Labour party -something you've already confessed you have no particular interest in.So why not play nicely and butt out?

I've enjoyed (and found more interesting) GHG's contributions to this thread, than yours. And I say that as someone with some left-leaning views.

You'll find that my typos had been corrected before you posted this.

From what I remember of reading the Mystic Meg books aloud to our kids, she didn't go in for political philosopy.Marx did.

I don't think Meg wrote children's books 'Phil'. Unless your kids were particularly interested in Tarot Cards.

images

I've enjoyed (and found more interesting) GHG's contributions to this thread, than yours. And I say that as someone with some left-leaning views.

The most significant word in your post is "some."

In terms of its content ,there's clearly no accounting for taste.:winking:

As Karl Marx used to say- "History always repeats itself.First as tragedy,second as farce."

However,the circumstances in the Labour party are very different now from what they were back in the 80's.

For starters, there's nothing like a SDP group waiting in the wings.

I fully concede you and others are much more in the know when it comes to Labour but if Corbyn were to become leader then I don't really see where the likes of Tristram Hunt,Chuka Umunna,Andy Burnham,Liz Kendall,Yvette Cooper and Dan Jarvis to name a few,would fit in. Dianne Abbott is back in business and I suppose Livingstone the newt could be wheeled out again but I think Skinner is a bit old now. Suppose Corbyn could merge with the SNP as it seems to me his and their views are closer than his own party view.
It is for this reason that Corbyn will not win. Night of the long knives anyone?

Back