• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

Hmm, I wouldn't call Farron a "rabid homophobe" just because he wouldn't be drawn into answering a question on homosexuality on television. I think that the future of Labour and the Lib Dems are intertwined now the SNP has risen to the fore. If they're clever, the Lib Dem message over the next five years can be a particularly strong one. The Tories have only been in power five minutes and they've already laid waste to welfare, privacy, renewable energy, any child who has the sheer audacity to be born third, poor people's chances of going to university... what they should be pointing out is that if it wasn't for them, all of this would've happened five years ago, and they successfully capped the damage.

Providing the message is strong enough and both parties can ride on the surge of support they've had since May, by 2020 a Lib Dem/Labour coalition could be a very tempting proposition for a lot of the country.

I know of one "lady" who recently was installed into a 330k brand new townhouse,she has just had her 5th child,her other 4 children are taken to and from school via taxi cab,her current partner is in Chelmsford prison,2 of the children have different fathers.

The taxpayer foots the bill on everything regarding this "charming" family.

So ESB is this in order or does the system require change.

I know of one "lady" who recently was installed into a 330k brand new townhouse,she has just had her 5th child,her other 4 children are taken to and from school via taxi cab,her current partner is in Chelmsford prison,2 of the children have different fathers.

Via the Daily Mail?

What on earth has this to do with who the next Labour leader will be?

Bearing in mind the quality of the information you generally impart on here I doubt anyone is going to seriously want analyse policies that effect large swathes of people based on one extreme case study plucked from who knows where.

Read ESB's post regarding having more than 2 children,do keep up !

Yeah, but at least his post had a element of relevance and context to the thread. Your case study is a rework from another thread on here if I remember correctly and I don't get the connection with a new Labour leader.

Bearing in mind the quality of the information you generally impart on here I doubt anyone is going to seriously want analyse policies that effect large swathes of people based on one extreme case study plucked from who knows where.

Humour me then,if my study was true(which it is)do you think it's fair the taxpayer picks up the tab!

Yeah, but at least his post had a element of relevance and context to the thread. Your case study is a rework from another thread on here if I remember correctly and I don't get the connection with a new Labour leader.

You mean the £2400 every 4 weeks story courtesy of the taxpayer.

You mean the £2400 every 4 weeks story courtesy of the taxpayer.

I'd be more angry about the billions that's spent on nuclear weapons that we don't need, or the bonuses given to bankers who royally ****ed up our economy, or the tax avoidance schemes set up by the rich and powerful to dodge paying their fare share....HS2....politicians of every creed claiming for penny they can get their grasping hands on...ad infinitum.

Picking on the poor is always an easy target.

I'd be more angry about the billions that's spent on nuclear weapons that we don't need, or the bonuses given to bankers who royally ****ed up our economy, or the tax avoidance schemes set up by the rich and powerful to dodge paying their fare share....HS2....politicians of every creed claiming for penny they can get their grasping hands on...ad infinitum.

Picking on the poor is always an easy target.

I agree with your every word except the last part.

I know of one "lady" who recently was installed

Installed? What, is she a ****ing fridge freezer or something?

into a 330k brand new townhouse

I see the Daily Mail's odd obsession with housing prices has rubbed off on you. Quite what the house value and type has to do with the case is beyond me though. There are set guidelines as to where the authorities can house people depending on their circumstances.

she has just had her 5th child,her other 4 children are taken to and from school via taxi cab,her current partner is in Chelmsford prison,2 of the children have different fathers.

These are all irrelevant details, but if you're trying to shame someone and make the case sound as reprehensible to the baying mob, then the more private information the better, eh?

And here we get to the crux of the issue, with a bit more poverty shaming thrown into the mix to labour the point. From memory, about 22% of a person’s tax and NI contributions go towards the total welfare bill for the country, the majority of which goes on state pensions. Last year total benefit spending was £159bn, £74.22bn of which went to pensions, or roughly 47%. Housing benefit, while up on last year, was still only 11% of the total welfare bill. Obviously this woman’s claiming other benefits, but it’s the housing situation that seems to have really gotten your goat and, without publicising more of her details in the public domain, seemingly without her permission, it seems a little odd to get really down into the detail of what she is or isn’t claiming/eligible for.

But, just to appease your fury, of the 22% of your tax and NI contributions that went on welfare spend just 11% was siphoned off towards housing benefits. Or, put another way, 0.0242%.

The system does require change, but not to the extremity that Iain Duncan ****ing Smith has pushed through. There is no excuse for enacting changes that will leave hundreds of thousands of working families out of pocket.

Installed? What, is she a ****ing fridge freezer or something?

I see the Daily Mail's odd obsession with housing prices has rubbed off on you. Quite what the house value and type has to do with the case is beyond me though. There are set guidelines as to where the authorities can house people depending on their circumstances.

These are all irrelevant details, but if you're trying to shame someone and make the case sound as reprehensible to the baying mob, then the more private information the better, eh?

And here we get to the crux of the issue, with a bit more poverty shaming thrown into the mix to labour the point. From memory, about 22% of a person’s tax and NI contributions go towards the total welfare bill for the country, the majority of which goes on state pensions. Last year total benefit spending was £159bn, £74.22bn of which went to pensions, or roughly 47%. Housing benefit, while up on last year, was still only 11% of the total welfare bill. Obviously this woman’s claiming other benefits, but it’s the housing situation that seems to have really gotten your goat and, without publicising more of her details in the public domain, seemingly without her permission, it seems a little odd to get really down into the detail of what she is or isn’t claiming/eligible for.

But, just to appease your fury, of the 22% of your tax and NI contributions that went on welfare spend just 11% was siphoned off towards housing benefits. Or, put another way, 0.0242%.

The system does require change, but not to the extremity that Iain Duncan ****ing Smith has pushed through. There is no excuse for enacting changes that will leave hundreds of thousands of working families out of pocket.

Ahh so you do agree then!

And this is a perfect example of why it's really not worth the effort.

I agree working familes should not be penalised ,I hope though they have the sense to understand that if they are financially struggling to cut their cloth accordingly !

The benefits system has spiralled out of control and the country/taxpayer cannot afford it.

I agree working familes should not be penalised ,I hope though they have the sense to understand that if they are financially struggling to cut their cloth accordingly !

Right, so if working families are being penalised unfairly, it's up to them to sort it out, rather than the ruling government?

The benefits system has spiralled out of control and the country/taxpayer cannot afford it.

Ok, the country can't afford the welfare bill as it is, but almost half of that welfare bill is state pensions... so they should be cut, right?

Right, so if working families are being penalised unfairly, it's up to them to sort it out, rather than the ruling government?

Ok, the country can't afford the welfare bill as it is, but almost half of that welfare bill is state pensions... so they should be cut, right?

Would working families actually sort it though ?

The pension scenario is indeed a major problem and IMO requires an overhaul by way of means testing,many have lucrative income streams yet still are able to claim state pension.

Would working families actually sort it though ?

That's not what I asked. If working families are being punished unfairly by welfare reforms, is it not the job of the ruling government to fix cuts where they are unfair?

The pension scenario is indeed a major problem and IMO requires an overhaul by way of means testing,many have lucrative income streams yet still are able to claim state pension.

So you accept that benefits such as JSA and housing are far from the only problems in the welfare bill, and cuts should come proportionatelty from other areas?

That's not what I asked. If working families are being punished unfairly by welfare reforms, is it not the job of the ruling government to fix cuts where they are unfair?

So you accept that benefits such as JSA and housing are far from the only problems in the welfare bill, and cuts should come proportionatelty from other areas?

As I stated the welfare bill has got out of hand,which now needs reforms to trim it.

My Aunt/Uncle sold their terraced house in Leytonstone for something ridiculous around the 600k price tag,they moved to the Kings site on Canvey purchasing one of the mobile things for 170k,they both have company pensions and other income yet they are fully entitled to their state pension which they duly claim,the state pension is solely used for their annual twice yearly cruise.

The state pension was never designed for such extravagant spending.

Another thread hijacked so instead of talking about the next labour leader we are talkng about MrsBlue's Aunt and Uncle living in a caravan.:headbang:

As I stated the welfare bill has got out of hand,which now needs reforms to trim it.

My Aunt/Uncle sold their terraced house in Leytonstone for something ridiculous around the 600k price tag,they moved to the Kings site on Canvey purchasing one of the mobile things for 170k,they both have company pensions and other income yet they are fully entitled to their state pension which they duly claim,the state pension is solely used for their annual twice yearly cruise.

The state pension was never designed for such extravagant spending.
Two things here. The Tories sold off the tax payer funded council houses, didn't replace them, many ended up back in the rental sector making profits for private landlords, many of these high rents are paid for by the tax payer in housing benefit. Tory reaction to this is do the same thing with housing association homes.

This is utter madness.

Second thing - your relatives paid NI in all of their working lives and were told that at the end of it they would receive a state pension. Do you really think they now shouldn't get it?

Back