• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

That's ok because like many in the Labour Party,*** ain't got a clue what is going on:smile:

Barna has used old data. You have accepted this as fact and then started gloating. I probably don't need to 'labour' the point....

The review changed the way in which Labour elects leaders. Under the former system, a three-way electoral college chose the leader, with one-third weight given to the votes of the Parliamentary Labour Party (i.e., Labour members of the House of Commons) and Labour members of the European Parliament, one-third to individual Labour Party members, and one third to the trade union and affiliated societies sections. Following the Collins review, the electoral college was replaced by a pure "one member, one vote" (OMOV) system. Candidates will be elected by members and registered and affiliated supporters, who will all receive a maximum of one vote and all votes will be weighted equally. This means that, for example, members of Labour-affiliated trade unions will need to additionally register as Labour supporters in order to vote.

Barna has used old data. You have accepted this as fact and then started gloating. I probably don't need to 'labour' the point....

The review changed the way in which Labour elects leaders. Under the former system, a three-way electoral college chose the leader, with one-third weight given to the votes of the Parliamentary Labour Party (i.e., Labour members of the House of Commons) and Labour members of the European Parliament, one-third to individual Labour Party members, and one third to the trade union and affiliated societies sections. Following the Collins review, the electoral college was replaced by a pure "one member, one vote" (OMOV) system. Candidates will be elected by members and registered and affiliated supporters, who will all receive a maximum of one vote and all votes will be weighted equally. This means that, for example, members of Labour-affiliated trade unions will need to additionally register as Labour supporters in order to vote.

Yes I was aware of this rule change.But it's still a three way split in the leadership ballot.The main change being -as you say-that trade union members will now have to vote on an individual basis rather than as a block vote by the union concerned.

Yes I was aware of this rule change.But it's still a three way split in the leadership ballot.The main change being -as you say-that trade union members will now have to vote on an individual basis rather than as a block vote by the union concerned.
It's just different types of members though - it all amounts to one member one vote, so the members are deciding who the new leader will be.

It's normal good form to only try for the last word when tangling with a rabid right wing poster from the dark side, not one of the angels of light Barna.

Sort of like a warm up man then, before the main comedian hits the stage.

Do Labour have anyone as with the comedy genius and timing of Ed Milliband though?

Ed was pure comedy gold with his sidekick Ed,now where is the Edstone:hilarious:

It's normal good form to only try for the last word when tangling with a rabid right wing poster from the dark side, not one of the angels of light Barna.

Don't worry I know *** is one of the good guys-it was just a semantic disagreement.:winking:

All the Collins Review has done is make Labour's link with the Unions more transparent (ie OMOV).

Otherwise I'm not aware of any major changes in procedure.

As I understand it, the weighting between MP's+MEP's/CLP's/and individual union members is the same as in the 2010 leadership election, when each grouping was worth 33.3% in the electoral college vote.

If I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_(UK)_leadership_election,_2015

Last edited:
Fantastic! I love the way that you've engineered a whole cognitive reframing process here on SZ, Rhb! As an unreconstructed old lefty dinosaur myself, I'm delighted that Corbyn is still in the frame. My guess is that Burnham will cobble it together somehow. Definitely cant feel any warmth to the 'wimmin' though - I do try to keep the personal out of the politics if possible but surely there's an error in Yvette Cooper's judgement if she can put up with (all) that old Balls all that time. I wish Caroline Flint was running, mind.
Caroline+Flint+Labour+Holds+Annual+Party+Conference+N-PrczUw03Ml.jpg

Last edited:
Don't worry I know *** is one of the good guys-it was just a semantic disagreement.:winking:

All the Collins Review has done is make Labour's link with the Unions more transparent (ie OMOV).

Otherwise I'm not aware of any major changes in procedure.

As I understand it, the weighting between MP's+MEP's/CLP's/and individual union members is the same as in the 2010 leadership election, when each grouping was worth 33.3% in the electoral college vote.

If I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_(UK)_leadership_election,_2015

Your wiki link states that the 33.3% weightings was the former method and is no longer being used. Straight one member one vote now.

If Corbyn wins, happy days. If not, meh Tory-lite and there finally is no-one to vote for anymore, what with a rabid homophobe running the (pointless) Lib Dems.

Hmm, I wouldn't call Farron a "rabid homophobe" just because he wouldn't be drawn into answering a question on homosexuality on television. I think that the future of Labour and the Lib Dems are intertwined now the SNP has risen to the fore. If they're clever, the Lib Dem message over the next five years can be a particularly strong one. The Tories have only been in power five minutes and they've already laid waste to welfare, privacy, renewable energy, any child who has the sheer audacity to be born third, poor people's chances of going to university... what they should be pointing out is that if it wasn't for them, all of this would've happened five years ago, and they successfully capped the damage.

Providing the message is strong enough and both parties can ride on the surge of support they've had since May, by 2020 a Lib Dem/Labour coalition could be a very tempting proposition for a lot of the country.

Hmm, I wouldn't call Farron a "rabid homophobe" just because he wouldn't be drawn into answering a question on homosexuality on television. I think that the future of Labour and the Lib Dems are intertwined now the SNP has risen to the fore. If they're clever, the Lib Dem message over the next five years can be a particularly strong one. The Tories have only been in power five minutes and they've already laid waste to welfare, privacy, renewable energy, any child who has the sheer audacity to be born third, poor people's chances of going to university... what they should be pointing out is that if it wasn't for them, all of this would've happened five years ago, and they successfully capped the damage.

Providing the message is strong enough and both parties can ride on the surge of support they've had since May, by 2020 a Lib Dem/Labour coalition could be a very tempting proposition for a lot of the country.

Ok fair point and redacted.

Back