• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Hartlepool United 0-0 Southend United

So, we were not at our best. Given that we are 3-4 weeks behind (we may not have had a club 4 weeks ago FFS!) the fact that we have a team out there at all, with a couple of new signings in there and 2 games into the season tells me that this is not the disaster people are thinking. So, we messed up a game we should have won? Last week we gained a point from a game we looked like losing? Its 2 games out of a long, tough season and this year there is no chance of having a 10 point deduction. This is a long way from a relegation fight!

Agree, sounded like we were better in the second with Noor back and Bridgy on the left wing. We need that other creative midfielder and soon, but if anyone listened to the podcast with Rhys the other day, that will tell you everything you need to know. A lot of things have gone to pot, and it is going to take good planning, time and money to sort things out. And they intend quite rightly, to do things properly, do them right and do them once! If it means we need to wait a while before reinforcements come in, so be it. I would rather have a mid table Southend than having no team!

On one side several good players like Cardwell and Bridge seem off the pace for whatever reason. Waldron & Wood not getting much of a look in which suggests they may not be in the immediate plans. Unconvinced so far by Gubbins (wasn’t previous loan either) or Morton but …

Very early days. Kev is figuring out a lot of things in terms of personnel and systems so let’s give management team the benefit of the doubt. From the outside I agree, too passive and slow build up, lacking more daring forward passing and service into the front two, both from our wide and through the middle. That said when chances do fall to us they must be as frustrated about us missing chances you would expect to be scoring or at least hitting target with, that is on the players

Hopefully the Amigos will have decided that it should be Ralph at LCB, Bridge at LWB and Husin patrolling the middle on Tuesday night. Not a scintillating performance but we didn't concede and actually made some decent chances second half, even if we couldn't force the ball home. I predicted a draw for this game and that is what we got. No doubt some on here will now demand new players as a result of the game, strangely, our Head Coach has been preaching the same message before the game.

Roll on Tuesday, and hopefully 3 points.

I think we're effectively 11 points better off than last season so not time for wrist slashing yet. Tuesday will be revealing as Boston do look like the whipping boys of the league at this early stage. If we're as hamstrung by the recruitment budget as we seem to be it doesn't look like anything is going to come along to change things dramatically so play offs is the target and achievable.

How long can we hang onto this attitude? It’s not turning on the team. It’s about a lacklustre display in two games, poor starting line up and not being clinical.

Football is a results driven game, win games you put yourself in promotion positions, lose games you can get relegated. At the end of the day none of us want to be in the National League. As much as I love Kev and the team of players who stuck by us, if they couldn’t get us out of the National League I would want players and a manager who could. That should be our ultimate goal!

And as a side point, I want Kev and this team of players (plus some new signings) to be the ones to get us out of the National League. They are not exempt from criticism just because the takeover has just happened and everything in the past. If we lose our next 5 games are we not allowed to say anything?

As Paulie says this is a discussion forum, no one is turning on the team. They are just displaying their disappointment and annoyance at two lacklustre performances.
I’d say we can hang to it for more than 2 games for a squad and management team who stood by us, who haven’t had a full preseason, who haven’t had a full transfer window, who are probably still one of the smallest squads in the league.

Each to their own, and everyone is entitled to their opinions, but personally I think this group deserve our respect and understanding and patience - they aren’t where they want to be or where we want them to be but we’ve only just shaken Ron, which for me is enough this season, and it will take time to rebuild and become the club we all want! For me they’ve earned my trust and patience and if it takes another season then I’ll take that over where we were 6 weeks ago

Not going to read to much into that, for me an away point is a job well done. Let’s see if we can dispose of Boston convincingly on Tuesday.

Hmm okay then. This is where we are at then. Seems like we actually created some chances today especially when noor came on. Hopefully can get 45 out of him on Monday. Hopefully we can sack off gubbins on Monday and play Ralph and Bridge as worked so well for us last season. I'm trying no to worry yet but we definitely need options.

This ‘creative/flair/goal scoring no. 10 midfielder’…anyone think that the best creative midfielders available may have already been snapped up by other clubs in July, whilst we were under a transfer embargo and our previous owner was chasing the leader of the council down the corridor?

Worth taking a step back and remembering it has been a far from straightforward summer and we missed the boat on a lot of our targets.

This argument won’t wash as time goes on, but I think a little bit of slack is needed currently.

Yes—everyone should be able to see that Bridge’s position must be attacking from the left touch line. Not defending much—he’s not very good at that and not in the middle where he looks lost. I thought left-footed Gubbins played quite well v York ,but surely the answer now is to play 4-4-2,with Ralph at LB,Miley and Noor in the middle of midfield and someone to threaten down the right….if that’s not a new signing (please don’t imagine Wood could do it !),GSM would be the best bet,with Wind or Taylor at RB .We’re already badly missing Fonguck and Powell .

Nothing has changed….

The areas we need to strengthen remain the same and we have to believe they will be.

There was a comment on another thread around would it be worth stretching the budget to get both Moncur and Tshimanga in and would they make a difference. Today I think provided the answer.

Bridge needs to play on the left so I’m afraid at LCB a dilemma that can’t be run away from is Ralph or Gubbins..when Crowther is fully fit I actually think you have Kensdale, Crowther and Gubbins all competing for the central role if Taylor and Ralph are fit and I would probably go with Crowther. Of course the dilemma will ease through injuries and suspensions- it was ever thus…and in a way it’s a good sign from a strength in depth point of view.

So frustrating. Our lack of potency in the last third perfectly demonstrated.

Wonderful free kick hit our woodwork. Then Waterfall gave us the biggest gift of the afternoon. After gobbing off at the ref disputing a throw in and picking up a yellow, he pulls back Coker, I think, quite deliberately on one rare driving run, right in front of the ref and he issues him with the second yellow.
I think it was Walker he pulled back.

For others calling for Noor to start on Tues. I get it, the Noor, Miley, Coker trio might be our best bet in midfield. But I'm not sure if Noor should be rushed back - so if he's on the bench again I wouldn't be slagging kev off for being defensive

We've not been at our best yet the first 2 games, but 2 decent enough points, a long long way to go, agreed we need signings and dont forget all our signings this summer and last season bar walker and gubbins are all making a step up in levels, I think we need to realise we will be at this level for at least another season or 2 unless we can get through the play offs which is always a lottery. Hopefully we will go back to bridge and Ralph and husin got game time so may get a start Tuesday, and alot of these players played alot of football last season and a few were carrying knocks and still playing, I'm gonna give it 10-15 games and then see where we are at

Back