• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Hartlepool United 0-0 Southend United

I personally have no problem with Kev's team selection for places and teams that play like Hartlepool. Not conceding before H/T is also a tick from me.

The fact that players put free headers wide or can't hit the target from les than 6yds doesn't mean tactics or team selection is at fault. We created more easy chances than we did last year v Oldham at home and Dagenham away...combined. By the way you can't drop 2 points if you don't score. Yes we should have won all 3 in that last 15. Frustrating but not through lack effort or choice of subs etc

Massive over reaction by some about 2 draws in August. The lads will feel the pressure about not scoring so lets get behind the lads v Boston. Collective groans on the first mistake or flat RH wont help. If we are the best fans in the NL then lets prove it and the season will lift off on Tuesday night.

Safe journey back for the 300.
Totally agree and every one of us there today got behind the team from start to finish. We did our part but on the day we couldn’t get the 3 points

We've been through all the negatives, and yes it was two points dropped in my opinion as well. We had enough chances. But there are positives and crumbs of comfort. The defence was fairly solid today. Walker and Cards will get a better understanding. We learnt for sure that Bridge is better out wide. Noor coming back is a big plus, and he works well with Bridge. Walker was offside by the smallest margin 3 times when about to burst through. He will start getting his timing right. Gubbins is a work in progress, still a lot to improve on, but was much better today. They are trying to get two quality players through the door. We have to hang in there, show a bit of patience, and the team and results will improve.

i was at Peckham Town with my daughter today (only £5 to see if she can concentrate for long enough. she can't) so missed the game.

but the coverage on here says a lot

1. we're so negative, boo
2. WE MISS SO MANY CHANCES
3. we're so negative, boo, mid-table at best, season's over, COSU have no ambition

need to create chances to miss them, so can't be that defensive.

we're two games in. chill the **** out, have a beer and enjoy the summer.

I think we're effectively 11 points better off than last season so not time for wrist slashing yet. Tuesday will be revealing as Boston do look like the whipping boys of the league at this early stage. If we're as hamstrung by the recruitment budget as we seem to be it doesn't look like anything is going to come along to change things dramatically so play offs is the target and achievable.
We’re 6 points better of than last year
i was at Peckham Town with my daughter today (only £5 to see if she can concentrate for long enough. she can't) so missed the game.

but the coverage on here says a lot

1. we're so negative, boo
2. WE MISS SO MANY CHANCES
3. we're so negative, boo, mid-table at best, season's over, COSU have no ambition

need to create chances to miss them, so can't be that defensive.

we're two games in. chill the **** out, have a beer and enjoy the summer.
Easy to say that when you don’t go

I’d say we can hang to it for more than 2 games for a squad and management team who stood by us, who haven’t had a full preseason, who haven’t had a full transfer window, who are probably still one of the smallest squads in the league.

Each to their own, and everyone is entitled to their opinions, but personally I think this group deserve our respect and understanding and patience - they aren’t where they want to be or where we want them to be but we’ve only just shaken Ron, which for me is enough this season, and it will take time to rebuild and become the club we all want! For me they’ve earned my trust and patience and if it takes another season then I’ll take that over where we were 6 weeks ago
Woah woah woah sweet child o’mine! At what point did I say I didn’t respect them!

I and I expect every single one of us Southend United fans will forever respect and be thankful to Kev and the team for everything they did during the Ron era/takeover. Football is a fickle sport, this isn’t a Southend United thing, short memories etc. Regardless of the situation it’s a results business and those two games were not good enough.

We had zero pre season, could just about field a squad for our opener last season had -10 points and played the newly relegated and one of the favourites to go up and spanked them 4-0. They are professional footballers, they should be up to a standard, they managed it last season.

The reason we have drawn the first two games is, trying to squeeze Gubbins in to fit an attempt to add attacking options in the middle by moving Bridge, who might I add has never worked in the middle. And pushing Ralph out to LWB. It didn’t work, it won’t work and everyone can see that.

Lacklustre performances from players who have miles better in them. Maybe it is a bit of rust and lack of pre season. But as I said earlier they had much more of a pre season than last season and look at how our first result went.

I’m just bored of this rhetoric of you can’t criticise them because of everything. Absolutely I can! If my child ****s up, I’m going to bollock them. Doesn’t mean I don’t love them.

. Regardless of the situation it’s a results business and those two games were not good enough
You're right it's a results business - yet you're judging on performances.

Last year we got zero points v York and 1 v Hartlepool - so we're already doing better than last season.

You're right it's a results business - yet you're judging on performances.

Last year we got zero points v York and 1 v Hartlepool - so we're already doing better than last season.
Last season after our first 2 games we had 6 points, this season we have 2 points.

Last season after our first 2 games we had 6 points, this season we have 2 points.
Versus different teams.

When fixtures were released it was generally acknowledged it was a tough start.

Unusually the pre match predictions had a majority thinking defeat v Hartlepool.

Results wise we're doing ok. Performance wise, it's lacking excitement/entertainment.

Being critical of poor performances or results is not "turning against the team", "being negative" or not respecting the team or COSU. We played poorly, we don't play poorly every game but we did today. Nearly every one of those players have far better performances in their locker and I'm not panicking but I'm also not going to pretend drawing 0-0 against 10 men with this squad is a good result

Left at 10am and got home at half 9pm, no stopping and now ive got time to sit through SZ threads, happy days. I can see the reasoning in Kev protecting his prize assett Bridge, with one eye on Tues, giving his legs a rest for at least 45mins. Also Noor came back a bit early, possibly, but my oh my the difference those two made, thdy ran the show in the 2nd. I watched Yeovil lose at home to this mob last week and the two teams were woeful. So with Hartlepool down to 10, i do feel like two points lost kinda game. Well under par right now, for me, Cards - Moreton - Coker , three players imo who play a lot better when we control the game. First half was awful to watch, we made them look good and that takes some doing.

Noor, overlapping the midfield, oh how we miss a runner. Bridge, ball retention, brings the whole team up and gets them playing. I noticed Cards trying to flick a Bridge cross in, maybe thats why he doesnt score so much with all those Bridge crosses, he dont use his left foot and smash them.
Onwards to Tuesday..

Tuesday night will tell us even more ,Last season we got off to a good start then had a home match aginst the team that was struggling at the botom i believe AFC FYLDE i think it was,and we got their season going for them i hope Tuesday is not a repeat performance of that game ,instead im hoping we can find the back of that onion bag 3 times or more,a performance like we did to Solihull last season would make not just Kev and Co happy but the players confidence and every supporter.

Back