• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Hartlepool United 0-0 Southend United

Embarrassing line up and tactics to start with trying to contain Real Hartlepool. Even after the sending the game looked 50/50 until we made the subs then at least the shape looked much better. Lots of nice football but lack of end product.

Clearly need more quality but can we bring it in and will it be used in the right way?

At HT I would have ripped your arm off for a point but their sending off literally turned the game on its head in our favour (I think they would have won with 11 players) but we just didn't take our chances.

We need to start with Bridge and Husin and got for it each game and at 2-3 players who can push the first 11 players for their positions, whilst coming in and also doing a job for us but that will happen.

With the rat still lurking until July it was always going to be a slow start for us but I am still positive about us getting in the play offs towards the end of the season, and being a team that nobody will fancy playing.

Onto Tuesday night which is a must win.

Weird reading some of the comments here - thought it was much improved from last week (but ok, that is a low bar).

First half very much containment mode, but we had the best of it. Midfield 3 were really poor.

2nd half better, even more so when they went down to 10 where from then on we dominated. Husin coming on and playing the Wes role for 90% of the time was great and linked well with Bridge and Ralph as Fonguck used to.

GSM put some absolutely wicked balls in and we could have won that comfortably by 2-3. Had Husins brilliant shot, Walkers header, the scramble at the end, Mileys tipped over shot etc.

Would take a point at places like Hartlepool for sure and as I say, was a better and fitter performance (players like GSM still full of running at the end vs last week), so I'm sure we'll get there over the next couple of games.

Concerns for me, Cardwell awful 2 games in a row and Gubbins subbed after an hour in both games very unusual for a CB and says to me Kev isnt sure on him.

Would like Bridge and Husin in from start Tuesday, Ralph at the back for Gubbins who's really added nothing to us.

Last week may have been a point gained, today was certainly two points lost. My mood changed from one of boredom and disappointment in the first-half to one of annoyance and frustration in the second. Said that I'd be happy with a point at half-time but with them going down to ten men, the three were there for the taking. We never really looked like doing that until Husin came on (how we've missed him). We then created a number of chances but through lack of sharpness and clinical finishing, we could take none of them. We still look as if we are playing catch up, let's hope we'll put it together on Tuesday night Shall I be first to say it.............Boston is a must win game!:Hilarious::Winking:

I kind of understood what Kev was doing pre-match (although I didn't agree) as our midfield got cut open against York and that probably worried him. Having three in there was probably a response to rectify that. However, Morton looked so out of place. Not a game for him in the slightest.

What I don't understand is why you would change the back 3/back 5 that generated the best defensive record and best assists just to accommodate Gubbins. We've always said about earning the shirt and place. What on earth has Bridge done to warrant having his taken off of him? It takes time to settle, so I'm not writing off Gubbins, but that's the point, he has to settle. Enter him into the side slowly, not playing him in a very hard start to the season, especially when it is totally nullifying our most potent part of the pitch.

As for the attacking side of the game, it's clear what we need. Husin showed up our midfielders in an attacking sense at only 25% fitness and he's not even a number 10! We have to sort that out.

Thought Walker was really good today (miss aside) and worked his socks off and could have been used better, had a midfielder played him in more.

Boston conceding 7 and scoring 0 in the first 2 games, we hopefully beat them. Then 5 points and unbeaten in 3 games suddenly doesn't look so bad. Onwards and upwards.

Last edited:
Last week may have been a point gained, today was certainly two points lost. My mood changed from one of boredom and disappointment in the first-half to one of annoyance and frustration in the second. Said that I'd be happy with a point at half-time but with them going down to ten men, the three were there for the taking. We never really looked like doing that until Husin came on (how we've missed him). We then created a number of chances but through lack of sharpness and clinical finishing, we could take none of them. We still look as if we are playing catch up, let's hope we'll put it together on Tuesday night Shall I be first to say it.............Boston is a must win game!:Hilarious::Winking:

The only positive for me is that I could get BBcEssex commentay by muting the northerners on DAZN (BBC wasn't in synch ,though) which i couldn 't do last week.

Back