• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hard or Soft Brexit?

What should happen?

• Hard Brexit

Votes: 31 46.3%
  • Soft Brexit

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Another referendum on the terms of the Brexit deal

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Forget it all and remain

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Bart

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
I suggest you talk with a few more Scots.They're up for it.

Barna you are the limit. I think I know a bit more about Scotland and the prospects of a YES vote. If Sturgeon honestly thought she'd win she'd call it. She won't because she'd lose. Just because a few of your friends are "up for it" means nothing. Given the lamentable record of the SNP in government I expect the possible YES vote to diminish if anything.

Can't say I know much about the UK car industry (though I used to drive a mini and two of my uncles worked at Ford's back in the day :winking: ) but this seems to me a foretaste of its future after Brexit, along with the recent news from Renault. Why would German and French carmakers want to continue production in the UK after we leave the EU?

Infrastructure, skills and markets spring instantly to mind.

Barna you are the limit. I think I know a bit more about Scotland and the prospects of a YES vote. If Sturgeon honestly thought she'd win she'd call it. She won't because she'd lose. Just because a few of your friends are "up for it" means nothing. Given the lamentable record of the SNP in government I expect the possible YES vote to diminish if anything.

Obviously, there will be a call for another referendum only when the SNP think they can win it.Things change quite quickly in politics.

There will inevitably be a negative reaction,especially in Scotland,once article 50 is finally invoked and the cost of Brexit become clearer over the next two years or so.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-case-scottish-independence-second-referendum

And there you have it, folks. It's not exactly conducive to having a balanced and well-informed opinion, is it? And I highlighted the fact you did go plural. Unlike some on here who seem content to have a fixed and dilated opinion on everything from one source.

FYI,I seem to remember some research, which demonstrated that people blank out any information which doesn't mirror their own political bias, in the daily paper they read.

Also,FWIW,I read two daily papers regularly.The other one is EL Pais,which we have a subscription to.

Infrastructure, skills and markets spring instantly to mind.

All of which they have in France and Germany, along with membership of the EU.:winking:

You know what Tangers,Brexit has you ****ed off doesn't it? it's going to happen in whatever form and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.:moon:

Absolutely right on both counts.The only solace I have, is that I don't think it's likely to affect me or my family personally, in any way.

FYI,I seem to remember some research, which demonstrated that people blank out any information which doesn't mirror their own political bias, in the daily paper they read.

Also,FWIW,I read two daily papers regularly.The other one is EL Pais,which we have a subscription to.

All of which they have in France and Germany, along with membership of the EU.:winking:

Absolutely right on both counts.The only solace I have, is that I don't think it's likely to affect me or my family personally, in any way.

Yes, but as you pointed out earlier, you know very little of how the car industry works.

Yes, but as you pointed out earlier, you know very little of how the car industry works.

Certainly don't have any first hand experience but as someone who lived in Brum for three years and follows economics and politics attentively,I'm well aware of its importance to UK industry.As it happens, I've also been doing company classes with Superwagen,Sabadell www.superwagen.com for some years now.

Certainly don't have any first hand experience but as someone who lived in Brum for three years and follows economics and politics attentively,I'm well aware of its importance to UK industry.As it happens, I've also been doing company classes with Superwagen,Sabadell www.superwagen.com for some years now.

Then you would be well aware that there is no french car manufactoring in the UK and hasn't been since 2006. Like The Guardian, you are attempting, badly, to scaremonger. German car makers reconise the importance of the UK market and will act accordingly.

Then you would be well aware that there is no french car manufactoring in the UK and hasn't been since 2006. Like The Guardian, you are attempting, badly, to scaremonger. German car makers reconise the importance of the UK market and will act accordingly.

I'm aware that I saw on the lunchtime BBC news that Vauxhall has been bought by France's PSA Group, maker of Peugeot and Citroen cars, and there seems to be a good chance that the plant at Luton will be closed.
We'll see what sort of deal German car manufacturers make with the UK when Brexit talks start in earnest.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39161173

The french company might be buying Vauxhall Opal. Nothing to do with Luton at all.

"Vauxhall has 4,500 UK staff based at plants in Ellesmere Port and Luton."

Politicians and unions in both Germany and the UK have been lobbying PSA and GM on behalf of their respective workforces.
They fear that PSA, which is 14% owned by the French state, may cut jobs outside France"

I'm aware that I saw on the lunchtime BBC news that Vauxhall has been bought by France's PSA Group, maker of Peugeot and Citroen cars, and there seems to be a good chance that the plant at Luton will be closed.
We'll see what sort of deal German car manufacturers make with the UK when Brexit talks start in earnest.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39161173

And you should read your own link more closely. Opal are looking at bigger problems and Peugeot are nortorious for moving operatings to Eastern Europe. They reduced production in France some years ago which is their biggest market which has been repayed by the french consumer by buying a lot less of them.

"Vauxhall has 4,500 UK staff based at plants in Ellesmere Port and Luton."

Politicians and unions in both Germany and the UK have been lobbying PSA and GM on behalf of their respective workforces.
They fear that PSA, which is 14% owned by the French state, may cut jobs outside France"

And Opal has 19000. Who is going to get cut first?

And you should read your own link more closely. Opal are looking at bigger problems and Peugeot are nortorious for moving operatings to Eastern Europe. They reduced production in France some years ago which is their biggest market which has been repayed by the french consumer by buying a lot less of them.

And Opal has 19000. Who is going to get cut first?

Guess we'll both have to wait and see what comes out of next week's official announcement of the takeover.

Back