• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Paul Weller at the Watford Colosseum.

Thing about Weller is that he can pretty much sell out wherever he plays, so can play what he wants rather than what the crowd wants. I appreciate he has a new record to sell, but there weren't nearly enough old favourites on the setlist and you could feel the crowd losing interest at various points.

Also, there were three - THREE! - drum solos, which is exactly three more than there should ever be at a gig.

Redeemed himself slightly by finishing with 'A Town Called Malice' but all told it wasn't a great show.

Maybe the drummer was giving Weller time to get his breath back. No excuse for drum solos, though. I saw Killing Joke at that venue years ago and thought it was a bit grim...just like Watford (where I worked at the time).

I saw Killing Joke at that venue years ago and thought it was a bit grim...just like Watford (where I worked at the time).

Yeah, no arguments there. Historic old venue and some decent acts have played there way back in the day (Elton John, The Faces), but it is a bit off the beaten track nowadays in terms of typical tour routes.

In fact, it was Weller's first ever gig in the town and given he is from the south of England and has been gigging for the thick end of 40 years, that probably says a lot!

Not the best advert for Mr Weller above, but I've ended up with 2 standing tickets for his gig at the Cliffs on Saturday night that now can't be used. Think the price was about £40, but willing to sell for £30 if anyone wants them. Send me a PM if interested - first come first served etc.

[video]https://youtu.be/lJdBmXcHwWc[/video]

Saw JM at the Blues night of the Terrassa Jazz festival last night.

Enjoyable but more soul than Blues in my book.

Possible gigs:

Steve Howe - Yes guitarist on solo tour next month - trying to talk myself into this one.
Camel - the veteran progsters are playing York in July.
Crosby, Stills and Nash. Got a week off in September as was hoping to get a ticket for Dave Gilmour. CS&N are playing that week in Cardiff and Manchester.
Hawkwind - Hawktoberfest in Manchester.
New Model Army - Manchester in December.

Saw James Taylor at the Liceu yesterday.Excellent gig.

First time I've seen him play since the Lincoln Folk Festival in 1971-when I was 19 and he was 23.

Must say he's aged pretty well but at least I've got my hair than he has now-and he had a lot more than me back then!

Saw Paul Weller last night & all I will say is, Shrimper DMC, you didn't miss much.

The sound was poor & Weller wasn't much better, missing the mic when singing so you didn't hear all of his vocals.

The plus side was the support band, The Gramotones! They were superb & even gave a mention to the mighty Shrimpers as they had heard we had won & their local team, Oldham, had their customary (their words) defeat! Well worth a listen to.

[video]https://youtu.be/P6mtAUKa1-g[/video]

Possible gigs:

Steve Howe - Yes guitarist on solo tour next month - trying to talk myself into this one.
Camel - the veteran progsters are playing York in July.
Crosby, Stills and Nash. Got a week off in September as was hoping to get a ticket for Dave Gilmour. CS&N are playing that week in Cardiff and Manchester.
Hawkwind - Hawktoberfest in Manchester.
New Model Army - Manchester in December.

I've scanned your prog-friendly list and there's no reference to King Crimson. Are you going to see them? Could be gig of the year for me, depending on Swans in May (always fantastic).

I've scanned your prog-friendly list and there's no reference to King Crimson. Are you going to see them? Could be gig of the year for me, depending on Swans in May (always fantastic).

I didn't know they were playing, looks like The Lowry for me in September.

I just purchased the one remaining ticket for the 11 September.

Thank you Dingleydangley!

Last edited:
Wilko Johnson at the Ritz in Manchester last night. Canvey's finest was on top form opening with the excellent All Through The City and slotting in more Dr Feelgood classics throughout the hour long set and finishing with Back In The Night and She Does It Right.

Support was from Eight Rounds Rapid, with the guitarist adopting a very similar playing style to Wilko. I later found out that was unsurprising as he is his son.

e06.jpgw01.jpgw02.jpgw08.jpgw13.jpg

Saw Joan Baez here at the Palau earlier this evening.Her voice was shot.

Could understand it coming from Dylan but not from JB.:thumbdown:

Last night I spent a very pleasant evening watching Yes guitarist Steve Howe's solo show at Gorilla in Manchester. Howe played a mixture of Chet Atkins style finger picking songs along with some back catalogue tracks from Yes, GTR, the Steve Howe Trio, plus a version of Classical Gas.. He was on stage for about 90 in all without support. My high point was the haunting 10 string guitar version of Wonderous Stories followed by Your Move.

st08.jpg

[video]https://youtu.be/p4qovnARJ-g[/video]

Saw the excellent Jayhawks here last night.

(Unfortunately they didn't play this Tim Hardin cover but then I have seen TH do it himself).

[video]https://youtu.be/BTDUDRIEifQ[/video]

Saw this excellent bluegrass trio in Badalona earlier this evening.

They'ye in London next week,apparently.

Back