• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Earth - Stoner rock, all done at about 25bpm and 'anchored' by a female drummer who makes Meg White look like Buddy Rich. I like the records but found this quite hard work. The sound of heroin, methinks.

I wouldn't mind seeing The Fall, I'll have to check the listings for a local gig*

The Dead Kennedys are booked for June in Manchester.

*Playing in Wakefield in May.
I saw the Fall about a year ago and even though I could only decipher about 4 words that Mike E said or sang all night - was still a great musical experience though.

Just been to see Death From Above at Brixton Academy with a couple of work people and one of them had never been there before and I said 'first time I came here was....a bit before you were born'

Really wanna watch Courtney Barnett on Monday night with the missus but that's not going to happen. Might just mooch down on my own cos my normal gig-going buddies in Sheffield aren't fussed.

Really wanna watch Courtney Barnett on Monday night with the missus but that's not going to happen. Might just mooch down on my own cos my normal gig-going buddies in Sheffield aren't fussed.

If only I lived vaguely near Sheffield, would love to see her live. Looking forward to her debut album proper.

Well Newcastle last weekend was great, I think you can watch some of it on the red button and on the 6music website.

Sleater-Kinney and Jungle were both excellent live. The Fall were great, and after initially being a bit WTF Mrs Drastic got into them too, it was the 3rd time I've seen them and this incarnation of the band were incredibly tight, I saw plenty of people walk out shaking their heads, but it's the challenge / confrontational nature of Mark E Smith that makes them so electrifying and Guy Garvey was right infront of us. But Mogwai were the absolute highlight, immense, I hadn't seen them for about 5 years and it reminded me why I loved them in the first place.

Drastic™;1712135 said:
Well Newcastle last weekend was great, I think you can watch some of it on the red button and on the 6music website.

Sleater-Kinney and Jungle were both excellent live. The Fall were great, and after initially being a bit WTF Mrs Drastic got into them too, it was the 3rd time I've seen them and this incarnation of the band were incredibly tight, I saw plenty of people walk out shaking their heads, but it's the challenge / confrontational nature of Mark E Smith that makes them so electrifying and Guy Garvey was right infront of us. But Mogwai were the absolute highlight, immense, I hadn't seen them for about 5 years and it reminded me why I loved them in the first place.

I listened to some of it on the radio. I really dislike Lauren Laverne.

Saw Lionel Richie last night at the o2 for his all night long tour. For a 65 year old man he puts one hell of a show on, a true showman and his voice is sensational. One of the best gigs I have been too and I've seen some pretty great ones.

Saw Lionel Richie last night at the o2 for his all night long tour. For a 65 year old man he puts one hell of a show on, a true showman and his voice is sensational. One of the best gigs I have been too and I've seen some pretty great ones.

Could you buy a Hello clay bust of Lionel or was it just T shirts and posters for sale?

Is she still a lady three times over or have the ensuing years resulted in any kind of feminine inflation?

On Tuesday went to see Hawkwind supported by veteran progsters Focus at the splendid Art Deco Sheffield Ballroom located deep down in the bowels of Sheffield City Hall. The ballroom doesn't use the traditional speaker stacks either side of the stage, but instead they are suspended from the ceiling above the band.

I last saw Hawkwind in February 2014 and I thought they were looking and sounding a bit tired. However, they have completely revamped their set list since then, playing a couple of songs I'd never heard them do live and reintroducing some old favourites. In this case, change did seem as good as a rest as the sonic assassins played with a passion I didn't see last year.

h01a.jpgh01b.jpgh02.jpgh05.jpgh10.jpg

Next up Wilko Johnson.

[video=youtube_share;URvmllbL0dI]http://youtu.be/URvmllbL0dI[/video]

Saw the great Ginger Baker at the first night of the Terrassa Jazz festival yesterday.

He and the sublime Pee Wee Ellis were excellent (as was the whole band).

GB doesn't look in good nick though.Think he might be linking up again with Jack Bruce shortly.

One to watch for the dead pool methinks.:sad:

Last edited:
[video=youtube_share;URvmllbL0dI]http://youtu.be/URvmllbL0dI[/video]

Saw the great Ginger Baker at the first night of the Terrassa Jazz festival yesterday.

He and the sublime Pee Wee Ellis were excellent (as was the whole band).

GB doesn't look in good nick though.Think he might be linking up again with Jack Bruce shortly.

One to watch for the death pool methinks.:sad:

He's (GB) been like a demonic Art Blakey for years. I'm constantly amazed that he can get bookings just because of his name. Forty years past his best and a genuinely unpleasant old *******. Still some great jazz around, though, without having to watch the ghost of Christmas past. Have you heard Phronesis or Polar Bear?

He's (GB) been like a demonic Art Blakey for years. I'm constantly amazed that he can get bookings just because of his name. Forty years past his best and a genuinely unpleasant old *******. Still some great jazz around, though, without having to watch the ghost of Christmas past. Have you heard Phronesis or Polar Bear?

Nope and for the record I really only went to see Pee Wee Ellis (again).Though I think Why? is a great jazz record and GB's, (mostly) subtle playing on it, is a delight.

Paul Weller at the Watford Colosseum.

Thing about Weller is that he can pretty much sell out wherever he plays, so can play what he wants rather than what the crowd wants. I appreciate he has a new record to sell, but there weren't nearly enough old favourites on the setlist and you could feel the crowd losing interest at various points.

Also, there were three - THREE! - drum solos, which is exactly three more than there should ever be at a gig.

Redeemed himself slightly by finishing with 'A Town Called Malice' but all told it wasn't a great show.

Thing about Weller is that he can pretty much sell out wherever he plays, so can play what he wants rather than what the crowd wants. I appreciate he has a new record to sell, but there weren't nearly enough old favourites on the setlist and you could feel the crowd losing interest at various points.

Also, there were three - THREE! - drum solos, which is exactly three more than there should ever be at a gig.

Redeemed himself slightly by finishing with 'A Town Called Malice' but all told it wasn't a great show.

I've seen Weller twice and he's always done a lot from him immense back catalogue.

I've seen Weller twice and he's always done a lot from him immense back catalogue.

I reckon there was one song from Heavy Soul, three from Stanley Road, one Jam track and the rest was all from his fairly average recent output.

I'll say one thing - for a 56 year old, he looked fantastic. The mod haircut is now all silver, but he was as lean as a whippet. Unlike most of the crowd - similar vintage to Weller but not quite in the same nick!

Exactly, no one goes to a gig to hear a drum solo. Yes we know the drummer can drum or he wouldn't be in the band. It is always my cue to head to the bar.

Back