• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I saw The Stone Roses Saturday night at Finsbury park and they were fantastic. Some of the fans have let themselves go a bit though.

[video=youtube_share;Na1Lv3eAcCk]http://youtu.be/Na1Lv3eAcCk[/video]

Just got back from an excellent Lucinda Williams gig at the amusingly re-named BARTS* theatre here.

A black, blues musician once said that C and W music was white folks blues.He was on the money.

*Barcelona Arts on Stage

Off to see Bruce for Part 1 of my 'Summer of Springsteen' today. F we get a full album show, I'm predicting a BITTUSA one. However, regardless what he plays in the ~3hr show, it's going to be amazing.

[video=youtube_share;cP-c2Aq47Cs]http://youtu.be/cP-c2Aq47Cs[/video]

And tomorrow night's soul/R and B concert in Barcelona features the legendary Irma Thomas.

[video=youtube_share;MK8o9xHfiR4]http://youtu.be/MK8o9xHfiR4[/video]

Sadly I don't think I'll ever get to see Aretha now but seeing the Queen of New Orleans last night was a great thrill.Forever young indeed!

**** Yourself Down supported by Gramme. So rare is it that you catch a support band where you have no pre conceptions and you think 'these are amazing - I must tell everyone'. Gramme sound like Donna Summer and Grace Jones but with the songs lead by the percussion and two bassists. Funk and disco are not really my standard fare but this cut through genres and sounded fantastic to all ears. **** Yourself Down I really wanted to see as the first time you hear them the impact is instant and you want Pigpag to go back in time and invent acid house. I half expected it to be a bit novelty live and to be a bit samey but it was far from that. It was captivating and energetic and irresistibly danceable. The two saxophones are the obvious focus but the Che lookalike singer is equal to them as he goes off message in an Arabic Rage Against The Machine style and the two drummers give a Latino vibe that pulls it all together. Somehow there is variety too and it keeps the whole room moving for the whole night in a sweaty mass. Will go back to see both again.

Just seen Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks - Hom from Animal Collective and it was like mid period AC but with a bit of a garage band vibe and a ferocious drummer. Felt a lot more organic than the AC Field Day set and was an enjoyable aside but I can't see it eclipsing the day job.

Last edited:
**** Yourself Down supported by Gramme. So rare is it that you catch a support band where you have no pre conceptions and you think 'these are amazing - I must tell everyone'. Gramme sound like Donna Summer and Grace Jones but with the songs lead by the percussion and two bassists. Funk and disco are not really my standard fare but this cut through genres and sounded fantastic to all ears. **** Yourself Down I really wanted to see as the first time you hear them the impact is instant and you want Pigpag to go back in time and invent acid house. I half expected it to be a bit novelty live and to be a bit sandy but it was far from that. It was captivating and energetic and irresistibly danceable. The two saxophones are the obvious focus but the Che lookalike singer is equal to them as he goes off message in an Arabic Rage Against The Machine style and the two drummers give a Latino vibe that pulls it all together. Somehow there is variety too and it keeps the whole room moving for the whole night in a sweaty mass. Will go back to see both again.
Blimey - the same Gramme who were on Output around a decade ago? Can't believe they're still going - they were ****ing awful back then! Love the **** Yourself Down record.

Blimey - the same Gramme who were on Output around a decade ago? Can't believe they're still going - they were ****ing awful back then! Love the **** Yourself Down record.
The very same, split for 10 years it seems, listened to their recordings since and they work much better live, as do Me-lt Yourself Down who's album is ace but live are acer.

Woo hoo. Saw Iron Maiden in Paris for their reprised Maiden England tour (only UK gig was at Download). At Download they announced an end of tour gig at the O2 but it sold out immediately to fan club members. A second date added this morning and scored standing tickets. Splendid!

Woo hoo. Saw Iron Maiden in Paris for their reprised Maiden England tour (only UK gig was at Download). At Download they announced an end of tour gig at the O2 but it sold out immediately to fan club members. A second date added this morning and scored standing tickets. Splendid!

Last and only time I saw Iron Maiden was 1986 at the Hammersmith Odeon. Was an amazing gig. I saw yesterday they were doing a show at the O2, would have tried to get tickets but doesnt sound like much point.

EDIT: Scratch that, just got two tickets for the Sunday!! Seating on the lower level (cant be arsed with all that standing up lark!)

On Saturday I went to the Jodrell Bank Observatory to see the Australian Pink Floyd perform Dark Side of the Moon supported by Hawkwind and a couple of other bands.

I went to a Hawkwind gig in Manchester about six months ago, my first in 25 or so their set list had barely changed since then. So I was pleasantly surprised when they launched into Steppenwolf after the usual curtain raiser of Master of the Universe. After Assault & Battery/Golden Void, Hawkwind went on to play the Wallies on the Edge of Time album in its entirety, slipping in The Only Ones from 25 Years On, somewhere in the middle. After a storming set, the sonic assassins closed with Motorhead as a tribute to Lemmy who is currently in hospital. Motorhead was the last song the legendary bassist wrote for the hawks before his sacking and a version of head banging anthem was released as the B-side to Kings of Speed, also penned by Mr Kilminster.

With the light fading and the Lovell telescope now facing the audience, the Australian Pink Floyd took to the stage loosening up with Shine On and a couple of other Floyd classics before performing Dark Side minus Us and Them. The two lead singers have certainly got Gilmour’s pitch perfect voice and Waters’ more nasally style off pat. As the clock effects on Time started, we all realised why the telescope had been revolved round.

As the APF finished as expected on Comfortably Numb I headed off to find my car.

Click here for some pics from the day

[video=youtube_share;7KKH37KV9UY]http://youtu.be/7KKH37KV9UY[/video]

Wyton Marsalis at the Grec theatre in Barcelona.Best gig of the summer so far.

I saw the fantastic Com Truise on Monday.

[video=youtube;aUHrPez7amI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUHrPez7amI&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL3BE4096DAAA80E5C[/video]

Yesterday I headed down to Holmfirth to see Spiritualized at the Picturedrome, a converted cinema located in the town where the Beeb filmed much of Last of the Summer Wine. It may look at bit shabby on the outside, but I thought it was a nice, if old fashioned venue. The acoustics sounded pretty similar where ever you stood, the doormen were friendly, and I am sure my chum Paul would have appreciated the free pork pie with a pint offer in the bar before the doors opened.

I thoroughly enjoyed the gig, Spiritualized played mostly their up tempo, wall of sound style numbers, only dipping into their more maudlin back catalogue once. However, Jason Pierce seemed an odd fellow. The spaceman walked on to stage wearing mirrored Aviator shades, sat on a stool side on to the audience and began to play his guitar. Not once did he seem to acknowledge the audience or even his band. Maybe he was in the zone, or just happy let his music speak for its self.

I hope the be back at the Picturedrome in a few weeks to see The Damned.

For some pics, click here

Saw Iron Maiden at the O2 last night.

Great time but boy Im getting old.

Very rarely sat down at concerts yet people stayed sitting, and I wasn't complaining. Guess its a sign the audience are getting older. (The fact quite a few brought young kids just added to this). Bloke next to us also spent the whole time berating anyone who stood up. Dont get me wrong I was relieved to be bale to sit but if people in front had stood up I would have done so as well. Do people really expect everyone to sit at a concert, and especially Iron Maiden ? Katherine Jenkins maybe!

It was far too loud for my liking. I know its an Iron Maiden concert but it was so loud you could barely make out the guitar solos at points, sound quality was pretty poor but then Ive found the O2 to be a bit crappy on other occasions as well.

Their 3rd guitarist who I assume joined after Adrian Smith left is like a parody of heavy metal all on his own. His prancing around was absurd, he looked like he just left Bad News or Spinal Tap to join them on stage.

Other than that it was a good evening and the first time Ive seen them play since 1986 at the Hammersmith Odeon!

Saw Iron Maiden at the O2 last night.

Great time but boy Im getting old.

Very rarely sat down at concerts yet people stayed sitting, and I wasn't complaining. Guess its a sign the audience are getting older. (The fact quite a few brought young kids just added to this). Bloke next to us also spent the whole time berating anyone who stood up. Dont get me wrong I was relieved to be bale to sit but if people in front had stood up I would have done so as well. Do people really expect everyone to sit at a concert, and especially Iron Maiden ? Katherine Jenkins maybe!

It was far too loud for my liking. I know its an Iron Maiden concert but it was so loud you could barely make out the guitar solos at points, sound quality was pretty poor but then Ive found the O2 to be a bit crappy on other occasions as well.

Their 3rd guitarist who I assume joined after Adrian Smith left is like a parody of heavy metal all on his own. His prancing around was absurd, he looked like he just left Bad News or Spinal Tap to join them on stage.

Other than that it was a good evening and the first time Ive seen them play since 1986 at the Hammersmith Odeon!

The average age of the audience was probably 50+ :hilarious:

Back