• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Fix the North Bank now?

I think it’s fine to apply it to Charlton because of the 2 league gap and the fact they’re a big club, and bigger than us.

But I don’t think it automatically applies to a 2 league difference. Would beating Crawley or Burton really be a ‘giant killing’?
There is no universe in which Burton or Crawley are giants. Even if they played Ashby-de-la-Zouch's Ashby Utd Community FC, Burton would not be a giant because up the road Forest have won the European Cup in living memory.

I think it’s fine to apply it to Charlton because of the 2 league gap and the fact they’re a big club, and bigger than us.

But I don’t think it automatically applies to a 2 league difference. Would beating Crawley or Burton really be a ‘giant killing’?
I guess 'cup upset' is a much better term. 4 times winners Bolton, but are in League 1, beating Premier League Bournemouth would be a 'cup upset' but probably not deemed a 'giant killing' because of the size and history of the respective clubs. Much like us hypothetically beating a Crawley or Burton.

Reminds me of the Southend-Man U ticket scramble...a good friend of mine, who lives in Southend but doesn't support them, got to watch the game because a season-ticketer couldn't make it and gave up his seat to him.

But if the ground is filled with season-ticket holders and Charlton fans...how does the club make any money out of this? Seems like the smart thing to do is have the ground declared unfit and move it to The Valley.
ST holders have to buy tickets for cup games- not covered by ST?

The North bank. I'm sure you remember that was our home end back then. They would have had the whole of the North round to the west thousands more if the game had not be postponed on the Saturday.
Indeed but it was the old south bank then that held way, way more than the north and so maximised the number of home tickets. Indeed was the biggest stand comfortably by capacity?

I'm not saying we should win.

Just don't like the "Giant killing" statement. A few seasons ago we were playing Charlton regularly.

It was only thanks to Ron Martin that we aren't anymore. The same Ron Martin who you defended for numerous seasons

Bizarre isn't Tommy. 7or 8 seasons ago was on here I was warning people about Rons overspending. I always claimed going for the Championship was fools gold that nearly sent us bust in 2010. People like you mocked me and pointed out we get bigger crowds the Shrewsbury so there is no problem.
I was the very first person on here to claim that Bury would go bust under their new Chairman.... Again some on here said I was defending Ron because Bury were great example of how to sign 15 players in week and were top of league in September.

Plenty like you quickly forgot that and then screamed the loudest about Ron. No surprise the same people have turned on COSU in less than 2 months.

Bizarre isn't Tommy. 7or 8 seasons ago was on here I was warning people about Rons overspending. I always claimed going for the Championship was fools gold that nearly sent us bust in 2010. People like you mocked me and pointed out we get bigger crowds the Shrewsbury so there is no problem.
I was the very first person on here to claim that Bury would go bust under their new Chairman.... Again some on here said I was defending Ron because Bury were great example of how to sign 15 players in week and were top of league in September.

Plenty like you quickly forgot that and then screamed the loudest about Ron. No surprise the same people have turned on COSU in less than 2 months.
Have you got the lottery numbers for the next draw?

Love these people who think chucking money at a problem is guaranteed to solve it, never mind we haven't got a pot to **** in .... thanks mainly to our overspending when we were aiming for the stars but fell in the gutter before. You'd think we'd learn.
It's those 'wow' signings with no loyalty to the shirt who sent us tumbling down the leagues (where we belong, due to some horrendous performances on the pitch which matters more than crowd size sadly).

It's alright though we're 'massive' Southend with our 6.5k average crowds so we can pick more money off that money tree behind the North Bank. Simple innit.

Love these people who think chucking money at a problem is guaranteed to solve it, never mind we haven't got a pot to **** in .... thanks mainly to our overspending when we were aiming for the stars but fell in the gutter before. You'd think we'd learn.
It's those 'wow' signings with no loyalty to the shirt who sent us tumbling down the leagues (where we belong, due to some horrendous performances on the pitch which matters more than crowd size sadly).

It's alright though we're 'massive' Southend with our 6.5k average crowds so we can pick more money off that money tree behind the North Bank. Simple innit.
7,219 actually. We are massively massive.

That sounds like a dumb thing to do. We have had handful of FA cup games at RH in the last 10 years

Many of the clubs in the NL switch stands or make other sections available for larger crowds. We did it for the Liverpool game in 1979......A game we should of won according to Tommy as they were only 2 divisions above us at the time.
I was thinking about this last night, because in theory you're quite right, it's a common sight to see non-league clubs erect temporary stands for FA Cup games. But RH is a fully enclosed ground, where would we erect a temporary stand? And what part of the existing ground would we give up, given that the home areas are fairly full even for NL games? (apart from maybe the South Upper, which I already mentioned).

I was thinking about this last night, because in theory you're quite right, it's a common sight to see non-league clubs erect temporary stands for FA Cup games. But RH is a fully enclosed ground, where would we erect a temporary stand? And what part of the existing ground would we give up, given that the home areas are fairly full even for NL games? (apart from maybe the South Upper, which I already mentioned).
6e02b07540b0ec474ba574bf6c3b7bd8.jpg
👍

There were loads of times that you stuck up for Ron on here.

Ron's problem wasn't over spending (although he did), it was that he literally wanted to run a whole club by himself, had no idea how to effectively market the club, merely saw success on the pitch as paramount, sanctioned many over the hill players on silly money rather than creating a style to follow, chased a "name" as manager rather than looking for the right fit and lastly chased the dream of a stadium that he couldn't possibly complete.

All of the above said, I think Tilson, brush, luggy and Chris Powell were all very harshly treated.

There were loads of times that you stuck up for Ron on here.

Ron's problem wasn't over spending (although he did), it was that he literally wanted to run a whole club by himself, had no idea how to effectively market the club, merely saw success on the pitch as paramount, sanctioned many over the hill players on silly money rather than creating a style to follow, chased a "name" as manager rather than looking for the right fit and lastly chased the dream of a stadium that he couldn't possibly complete.

All of the above said, I think Tilson, brush, luggy and Chris Powell were all very harshly treated.

Thats exactly what you have claimed in the last few weeks. Slagged COSU over it and threatened not to come to RH if results don't improve. Announced on here that we should forget the stadium and improving facilities. until we are back in the EFL.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back