• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Fix the North Bank now?

The issue is that they need to offer 15% of tickets to Charlton in a fully segregated area. So unless we gain an exemption we will need to operate a reduced capacity for home fans.

What makes things tricky is it isn’t as simple as saying we’ll get the work done. We need to get the work done and a safety certificate issued - all presumably before we can release tickets for sale.

It might therefore, like opening day of the season, be quite a late announcement on tickets.
I think we have a decent chance of getting an exemption for the 15%.

I’m sure the police/safety advice will be that it’s not possible to have Charlton fans sharing the East, West, or South and their entrances with home fans.

The only other option is to give them the whole of the South. But then there’s still the issue of sharing an entrance and exit with home fans in the East or West.

Last edited:
I think we have a decent chance of getting an exemption for the 15%.

I’m sure the policy/safety advice will be that it’s not possible to have Charlton fans sharing the East, West, or South and their entrances with home fans.

The only other option is to give them the whole of the South. But then there’s still the issue of sharing an entrance and exit with home fans in the East or West.
Maybe but the issue is one of timing. How quickly can such an exemption be obtained? Until that exemption is obtained/denied we can’t really sell tickets.

I think the other option would be giving the north end of the East Stand to Charlton so their fans can access via Fairfax and home fans access from W, S (and N?) from Shakespeare and South and East greens and blacks from Vic Ave. @rigsby’s seat to be surrendered to act as segregation

I think unless they get Nick Knowles and the DIY SOS team in there today, there is zero chance of getting it up to the required standard (For full occupation) in just 2 weeks.

Hopefully they can get at least some of it up to scratch in time to accomodate 1,000+ Charlton. They'd likely bring 2,000+ if it was available to them.

Perhaps theres more chance of Block X being opened?....That will be a useful addition and allow more home fans in.
I understand that Nick is injured but otherwise like your style 😉

Most away fans, especially anyone the police have to worry about, enter RH via the carpark.

If you gave Charlton the Blue seats then what about home fans in the Yellow or Reds. You certainly can't give them the Blacks because of the East Green over 50 Ultras. Don't forget our last loan pitch invader came from that section and has now entered our Hall of Fame......Its fair to say the Tunnel of Love (as I call the walkway up to the far post) could become the tunnel of death.

Long term there should be access to the South via Roots Hall avenue. With separate facilities for the upper and lower. Smaller clubs get the South Lower

That would save a lot of problems. In the meantime the few in the South upper will have to watch cup game from one of the other 3 stands......They wont mind because its for the benefit of the club and we are all for backing COSU......That and of course its never open for cup game anyway

Personally, I don't think it's worth throwing loads of cash at getting the North sorted in time for this tie (if it is even possible).

Yes, it's a good tie for us and can add some welcome extra revenue, but not enough to warrant the immediate expenses. We've drawn Charlton, not Man City.

I would suggest we explore the completion rules' 2nd paragraph as posted by @Exiled Shrimper yesterday in the draw thread, where he mentioned:

There are two potential areas to explore within the competition rules.

One is paragraph 191.1, which states the allocation of up to 15% must be in a “fully segregated area”.

The second is paragraph 199, which states The FA’s Professional Game Board may vary the away club’s allocation at its “absolute discretion”

Last edited:
Scrolled through to post #28 and no one has asked whether any such completion is doable in the time?
Surely, it's a moot point if the work needed outstrips time left?

Last edited:
Assuming we had unlimited tickets available to Charlton how many, realistically, would they bring? Is it really such an appealing game to them?
A work colleague is a Charlton season card holder. He reckons it's actually quite an attractive "proper away day" for them. He reckoned 1,500+ would easily make the trip, assuming it was a Sat 3pm.

Their message boards in the vast majority have mentioned a proper tie against a proper team and one we would sell out.

So I think a thousand would not be an unreasonable assumption. Particularly if we have to allow 1,200 seats, as a 15% total of 8,000, keeping the maths easy.

⁹How many sarf laandonites can we squeeze in the South lower ? We'll be needing a real home support to beat these and it will be disappointing to see 1k of them in the north bank, rendering our brilliant vocal support useless

Their message boards in the vast majority have mentioned a proper tie against a proper team and one we would sell out.

So I think a thousand would not be an unreasonable assumption. Particularly if we have to allow 1,200 seats, as a 15% total of 8,000, keeping the maths easy.
Unless some work is done the away capacity is 800 isn’t ? Combination of works needed and there being only tge one usable exit to the East? So a lot of them will be disappointed. May even go all ticket to avoid a few hundred in the home end? Regrettably, Might be wrong (wouldn’t be the first time)

I’m sure the club will clarify reasonably soon.

Scrolled through to post #28 and no one has asked whether any such completion is doable in the time?
Surely, it's a moot point if the worked needed outstrips time left?

Good Grief!!! :Facepalm: :Facepalm: :Facepalm:

@Chris Powell's mate

Are you suggesting that we should suspend all pointless speculation regarding this until we're in possession of some hard facts???

Unbelievable! :Whistling:

:Winking:

I read somewhere on the Board or heard on one of the Podcasts that Toilet Facilities are just one of the things that need to be upgraded, replaced or increased. That doesn't sound like a 2 week job.

Would prefer the North Bank to be developed for the return of the home fans when the time is right. We've got a home draw so a chance of a major non-league upset, why on earth would you lay out the red carpet for a horde of their fans to cheer them on? The fewer they're allowed to bring down the better I say.

Unless some work is done the away capacity is 800 isn’t ? Combination of works needed and there being only tge one usable exit to the East? So a lot of them will be disappointed. May even go all ticket to avoid a few hundred in the home end? Regrettably, Might be wrong (wouldn’t be the first time)

I’m sure the club will clarify reasonably soon.

FA Cup, unless we get an exemption, we have to allocate 15% of capacity to away fans.

I guess we could be making a case for that, but until it is confirmed we would have to allocate over 1,000 seats for the away fans.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back