• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Fix the North Bank now?

If they refuse I would imagine we'll still need to give them 15% of the over all attendance. Therefore we would have to reduce the availability of tickets in the rest of the ground pro-rata
Assume we'd shut down the South Upper where the cheapest tickets are sold then?

I make you right, it is 15% of total capacity but the idea that we have to reduce the total capacity of the ground for arguably the most sellable game of the season is just bizarre.

Assume we'd shut down the South Upper where the cheapest tickets are sold then?

I make you right, it is 15% of total capacity but the idea that we have to reduce the total capacity of the ground for arguably the most sellable game of the season is just bizarre.

@choggy If this were to happen, with the availability of tickets capped at 5,333 (total so deduct 800 for CAFC) and there being around 4,300 season card holders (who presumably would have priority) there would only be about 200 tickets going on general sale!!!

@choggy If this were to happen, with the availability of tickets capped at 5,333 (total so deduct 800 for CAFC) and there being around 4,300 season card holders (who presumably would have priority) there would only be about 200 tickets going on general sale!!!
Reminds me of the Southend-Man U ticket scramble...a good friend of mine, who lives in Southend but doesn't support them, got to watch the game because a season-ticketer couldn't make it and gave up his seat to him.

But if the ground is filled with season-ticket holders and Charlton fans...how does the club make any money out of this? Seems like the smart thing to do is have the ground declared unfit and move it to The Valley.

Reminds me of the Southend-Man U ticket scramble...a good friend of mine, who lives in Southend but doesn't support them, got to watch the game because a season-ticketer couldn't make it and gave up his seat to him.

But if the ground is filled with season-ticket holders and Charlton fans...how does the club make any money out of this? Seems like the smart thing to do is have the ground declared unfit and move it to The Valley.
Maybe we should build a new stadium. I hear fossetts farm is a good option 😬

It’s an FA rule that we have to charge a minimum of £10 for a adult ticket

Given that seasos still have to pay why can’t we simply give them access to the last block off the East - accessing through North Bank turnstiles? A bit of mesh separating fans and a couple of stewards seems to be the norm elsewhere.

To throw emergency money at the North for one game gambling on a win smacks of RM and is not commensurate with sustainability as outlined by COSU.

It will still reduce capacity but not down to 5,300 levels.

Have they not already started work upgrading the toilets in the north-west corner to allow home fans in that corner (via Fairfax Drive)?

If so, if that work could be completed in time does it not make more sense to let Charlton fans in that area for this game as well as the existing 800 away seats in the North Bank?

That sounds like a dumb thing to do. We have had handful of FA cup games at RH in the last 10 years

Many of the clubs in the NL switch stands or make other sections available for larger crowds. We did it for the Liverpool game in 1979......A game we should of won according to Tommy as they were only 2 divisions above us at the time.

That sounds like a dumb thing to do. We have had handful of FA cup games at RH in the last 10 years

Many of the clubs in the NL switch stands or make other sections available for larger crowds. We did it for the Liverpool game in 1979......A game we should of won according to Tommy as they were only 2 divisions above us at the time.
What parts of the ground did we make available to Pool fans for the Liverpool game ? (I had a standing ticket for the West stand but was unable to go to the re-aranged game as I would have been too late back returning to Barna).Note this was in the days of Magic Bus coaches which took 24 hours to make the trip (IIRC)rather than Easy Jet flights ,which didn't come in until the 90's.

What parts of the ground did we make available to Pool fans for the Liverpool game ? (I had a standing ticket for the West stand but was unable to go to the re-aranged game as I would have been too late back returning to Barna).Note this was in the days of Magic Bus coaches which took 24 hours to make the trip (IIRC)rather than Easy Jet flights ,which didn't come in until the 90's.

The North bank. I'm sure you remember that was our home end back then. They would have had the whole of the North round to the west thousands more if the game had not be postponed on the Saturday.

I can’t believe nobody has suggested rotating the pitch. Surly that would enable us to squeeze more body’s in, no? 😎
And quite why we haven't demolished the East Stand & rebuilt since Monday it I've no idea. 🤪

As for the South, according to some there are ony a couple of people that sit there anyway so we may as well have levelled that at the same time. 😇

I'm not saying we should win.

Just don't like the "Giant killing" statement. A few seasons ago we were playing Charlton regularly.

It was only thanks to Ron Martin that we aren't anymore. The same Ron Martin who you defended for numerous seasons

I'm not saying we should win.

Just don't like the "Giant killing" statement. A few seasons ago we were playing Charlton regularly.

It was only thanks to Ron Martin that we aren't anymore. The same Ron Martin who you defended for numerous seasons
I do get what you're saying Tommy but you can only comment on the here and now. Hypothetically, if Oldham were to play and beat Bournemouth, that would be a giant killing in today's game. But there'll be a few that say, "Oldham are a bigger club than them and were in the Prem before them, that's not a giant killing." The fact is, it's National League Vs a Premier League side. That's a huge difference, which makes it a 'giant killing'.

In our case, it's National League Vs League 1. They also happen to be a big club too. Beating them when we were in League One was a huge moment, let alone being where we are now. It doesn't matter the history of the respective clubs, on paper, a National League side beating a League One side could be considered a 'giant killing' whether we like it or not.

I do get what you're saying Tommy but you can only comment on the here and now. Hypothetically, if Oldham were to play and beat Bournemouth, that would be a giant killing in today's game. But there'll be a few that say, "Oldham are a bigger club than them and were in the Prem before them, that's not a giant killing." The fact is, it's National League Vs a Premier League side. That's a huge difference, which makes it a 'giant killing'.

In our case, it's National League Vs League 1. They also happen to be a big club too. Beating them when we were in League One was a huge moment, let alone being where we are now. It doesn't matter the history of the respective clubs, on paper, a National League side beating a League One side could be considered a 'giant killing' whether we like it or not.
I think it’s fine to apply it to Charlton because of the 2 league gap and the fact they’re a big club, and bigger than us.

But I don’t think it automatically applies to a 2 league difference. Would beating Crawley or Burton really be a ‘giant killing’?

I think it’s fine to apply it to Charlton because of the 2 league gap and the fact they’re a big club, and bigger than us.

But I don’t think it automatically applies to a 2 league difference. Would beating Crawley or Burton really be a ‘giant killing’?
Unfortunately, these days, yes.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back