• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

In the Earth had some bad reviews, IIRC
Lots of decent / good films have some bad reviews. In fact, look at my Free Fire post again. We should watch films and form our own opinions.

In the Earth is certainly a film that would have faced production challenges. Very low budget, difficult scheduling and shot during COVID-19.

Last edited:
I attended the premiere of the film Senna (2010) at the Curzon Mayfair. The guest of honour was a certain Professor Sid Watkins.
Even though I am not a motor racing fan, I went to see it and it was amazing to see on the big screen.
I love The Curzon Mayfair.

The Academy in Oxford Street was the place in the 60s and 70s for foreign films. Saw things like Red Desert, Woman of the Dunes and various Bergmans there. Films that the ABC and Rank circuits wouldn't have known existed!

Blues---I used to see some excellent Sunday double bills at The Curzon's (Of course double bills were unheard at The Academy!)---I wonder why they had their own posted printed?

This is NOT my living room.

1723829218529.png

Totally unmissable lol
[th]
We hope you've been enjoying our Béla Tarr retrospective, which showcases the Hungarian maestro's extraordinary filmography and his part in the European ‘slow cinema’ movement. If you're up for it, watch his seven-hour episodic masterpiece, Sátántangó, on Sat 17 Aug in our recently-reopened NFT1. Or you can even see it at BFI IMAX as an all-nighter on Sat 24 Aug.
[/th]

The Academy in Oxford Street was the place in the 60s and 70s for foreign films. Saw things like Red Desert, Woman of the Dunes and various Bergmans there. Films that the ABC and Rank circuits wouldn't have known existed!
Yes I remember the Academy very well.Would have seen Rashomon & others there.Saw Woman of the Dunes at a special screeing at WHS,organised by the School Of African + Oriental Studies IIRC.

Last edited:
Poor Things... the beginning was weird, the ending was weird, and the middle was pretty weird too. It did make me laugh a few times, but not really my thing.

Poor Things... the beginning was weird, the ending was weird, and the middle was pretty weird too. It did make me laugh a few times, but not really my thing.
I keep meaning to watch this. Are you familiar with Yorgos Lanthimos' films (The Lobster, The Favourite and The Killing of a Sacred Deer being his other most well-known)? Just wondering because I can imagine he's quite a Marmite filmmaker and might take the uninitiated by surprise a bit.

Last edited:
Watched MaXXXine last night. It's fine, taken on its own merits, but I thought it was a weak conclusion to trilogy (Pearl being my favourite, with X a close second).

Back