• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I was certainly going to give it a miss but as we have drawn Brighton I can't. There is a local lad that played against Colchester in the Cup match last week. Rob Hunt he is their Under 21 Captain so bound to play. Ex Deanes pupil and a member of my old Cricket Club.A very talented all round sportsman. Another local youngster who slipped through our net, his first club was Gillingham.

So many pages about a totally pointless competition. Nobody will care if the Final is Southend United v Crewe Alex or Everton Youth/Fringe v Crystal Palace Youth/Fringe.
When we played The Alex at Wembley, none of my footballing mates from anywhere outside of Essex or South Cheshire had any idea the game was being played, who was playing ...or why?
It always has been irrelavent and always will be. It is a day out for the finalists to play a complete friendly at Wembley.

So many pages about a totally pointless competition. Nobody will care if the Final is Southend United v Crewe Alex or Everton Youth/Fringe v Crystal Palace Youth/Fringe.
When we played The Alex at Wembley, none of my footballing mates from anywhere outside of Essex or South Cheshire had any idea the game was being played, who was playing ...or why?
It always has been irrelavent and always will be. It is a day out for the finalists to play a complete friendly at Wembley.

to say no one cares who is in the final is a ridiculous comment . Supporters outside of the clubs that make it might not care , but the supporters of the clubs that get there certainly care- or at least some of us do. I dont care if we loose a friendly - I certainly cared when we lost against Crewe

Last edited:

30,000 Southend fans knew and loved the day though.

How many of your mates outside of Essex knew who was playing in the Play Off final? Not many Im sure and therefore not really a measurement of importance.

The JPT trophy is a crappy competition, its only any good at area final and Wembley stage. As a football competition I never cared if we won the cup or not, for me it was the opportunity to go to Wembley and that was the prize.

All that said for me its pointless, but it would have been pointless if it hadnt been changed. Ive been to Wembley, Ive been again in a game that I actually cared about winning and now I know that a JPT final would hold little value.

Is South stand open for Brighton game??

Sorry if been asked before but haven't seen anywhere and when I tried to buy my ticket online!!!!! Cheers.

The ticket thing has been updated to show actual tickets sold for the Brighton match.
824 sold so far so looks like the crowd will be over 1,000 at least.

The ticket thing has been updated to show actual tickets sold for the Brighton match.
824 sold so far so looks like the crowd will be over 1,000 at least.

If you look at the on-line ticket system, the grey-ed out (sold) seats number well short of 800 !!!

West Stand figures look about right with around 100 sold but the 734 claimed for the East probably includes all of the blue seats as they are not available to buy.

So probably nearer three or four hundred !!

If you look at the on-line ticket system, the grey-ed out (sold) seats number well short of 800 !!!

West Stand figures look about right with around 100 sold but the 734 claimed for the East probably includes all of the blue seats as they are not available to buy.

So probably nearer three or four hundred !!

You are right I never thought about the Greyed out seats. Its even worse as there are Greyed out seats in the Yellow section and part of the Black seats that I'm sure have not actually been sold. Only 70 seats sold so far in the Green and Red sections of the East Stand and they are probably the two most popular sections of Roots Hall.

I think the number of seats actually sold is nearer the 250 mark. I cant imagine Brighton bringing more than 100 fans. Our lowest ever crowd was the 683 v Northampton in this competition way back in the mid 80's.

Could this Brighton match be our lowest ever crowd. Although you could argue that this is not a full first team fixture.

The club should just have opened the East Stand for this match.

After a quick (very quick) count up I would say only about 220 tickets sold in the whole ground so far. Still 1 week to go and there will be the usual Directors/Sponsor tickets to be added to the total but I think we are on for less than 683.

Looking at some of the other fixtures in this competition & there will be crowds lower than ours.

Last edited:
The 10-1 game against Aldershot was only a few over a thousand wasn't it?

Certainly wasn't a lot of us in the North bank that night :smile:

haha! I remember that game well, due to the fact I decided last second not to go... Went to the pub for the usual quick pre-match pint with a couple of mates and for some reason we went on the lash instead - as we decided the gate money was better spent on ales

Gillingham have only sold about 250 home tickets for their EFL trophy game v Luton next week and they are only charging £5 for adults.
The old format was producing some low crowds but the numbers were steady. This new format has ripped the competition apart and some clubs could get crowds below 500.

Even the £5,000 prize money for winning each group game is not going to make up for lost ticket revenue. (especially if we don't win any!!)

Back