• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not sure of this is genuine or a spoof (I don't have any of those mobile betting app's).

CoYl0DDWAAAwK7e.jpg:large

Kavanagh not happy

Steve Kavanagh, chief executive at Southend United, has said that today's EFL Trophy draw has "left a bad taste in the mouth" after six clubs rejected the chance to play Academy teams in the tournament.
Clubs in the English Football League voted in favour of 16 Academy teams playing in this season's EFL Trophy, but six sides, including Arsenal, Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool and Tottenham, rejected the invitations with their places taken by Academy teams from Championship clubs.
"The Premier League teams that asked for it have pulled out and that leads to a bad taste," Kavanagh told BBC Radio 5 live.
"We were led to believe we could have drawn West Ham at the Olympic Stadium, but they were not in the same part of the draw. We have said we will try to do something for you (the Premier League clubs) but it has been thrown back in our faces."

Turns our we would NEVER have got West Ham at Olympic Stadium anyway. They have been given "special" dispensation to play all their EFL Trophy group games away (despite initial proposals stating all Academy teams MUST play one home fixture).

Whole "EFL Trophy" issue stinks, and has turned into complete farce.

If there is one silver lining from this, it is that Football League clubs will now be even more wary in all future dealings which involve Premier League, as there will always be an underlying reason for any proposals which will not be divulged until it is too late.

Absolute guff. It's conspiracy theory nonsense and a real case of cutting our own nose off to spite our faces. I'd hate to be so paranoid all the time.

No wonder English football never moves forward.

I respectfully disagree. I think there's a lot of very good intentions here from people who care about our Club but I think the fears are just baseless. Unfortunately it will be latched onto by those who have been 'boycotting' the early rounds of this tournament for years judging by our attendances and for those I have less respect.

If you pay attention to my usual posts (and I don't blame you if you don't) you'll realise I'm very much a "glass half full" type of person. Not, however, in this instance. This has the potential to lead to B teams in the football league. Maybe not in the near future, but the fact that this has happened could easily be a starting point.

As I've said previously, it's naive to believe that something can never happen. You yourself have even given a scenario where it could. The fact that the football league has legitimised PL U23 teams is potentially the starting point.

With so many people rightly planning to boycott, it will be interesting to see how low attendances will really be

I'm not planning a boycott. I never go to these matches anyway. Living where I do, I'd rather save my battles with the M25 for matches that matter. That said, I'll have a decision to make should we actually progress...

They were on record and were shouted down. They wanted a 39th game too. They'll always look at ideas for how they can further Brand Premier League and where they can will try to force things through - EPPP for example.

B teams are nowhere near to being something that they will be able to force through in the short or medium term.

That's exactly my point. It could happen in the long term. Making a noise about it and showing our opposition now will make it less likely.

Don't see the problem in trying to boost a poorly attended cup competition. The success or failure of PL academy's playing in this cup, will make no difference to future league set-ups.

I know some of you have an aversion to anything PL (whilst supporting them with your £50 per month sky subscriptions) but boycotting the cup will only hurt the clubs like ours. It will not hurt the big boys in any way, in fact the bigger the gap the more power they will have in any future decisions about league formats.

Yep, similar to the odds SkyBET are quoting.....

Blimey, might put a quid on every League one team if there odds are all greater than 25/1

Even if Charlton win you will still make a couple of quid profit, as I can't see any of the accademy teams winning myself as most of the matches are during international breaks, so they will be mssing their better youngsters anyway.

Don't see the problem in trying to boost a poorly attended cup competition. The success or failure of PL academy's playing in this cup, will make no difference to future league set-ups.

I know some of you have an aversion to anything PL (whilst supporting them with your £50 per month sky subscriptions) but boycotting the cup will only hurt the clubs like ours. It will not hurt the big boys in any way, in fact the bigger the gap the more power they will have in any future decisions about league formats.

BIg assumption on sky subscription, I doubt I am alone in not having sky and not trusting the EPL. The EPL represents the EPL not English football, what is right for them is not necessarily right for us . The FA is meant to represent us but they totally lost power to the EPL years ago and refuse to stand up to them -

I am very anti anyone that uses bullying tactics/bribery to get their way (EPL Solidatary payments)
I am very anti anyone that signs an an agreement knowing FULL WELL that they intend to change the terms of that agreement in days-( EPL U21' is actually U23rd with 4 over age players- that is not the deal that was put to the clubs and what was discussed in Portugal at their meeting

What I would personally love to see is massive crowds at Football League home games and a very toxic atmosphere making our point known and making the U23 sides feel very uncomfortable . Add to that that they get beaten in every game and I would be very happy. As Kevin Keegan said- 'I will love it' . Childish- yes, bothered- no

I respectfully disagree. It legitimises B teams. Therefore in the future when the question of B teams in the league is raised again, we will be more likely to accept them as the 'norm'. This is a pilot scheme and it is absolutely diabolical. Boycotting is the best way to ensure it doesn't happen again and they come up with something better.

That could include cheaper ticket prices, tightening up regionisation or inviting say the top 16 Conference clubs to join. I for one would much rather play Woking/Braintree than Chelsea or Arsenal's B team. The insult of playing a reserve team (a club like Sheffield United has to demean itself by playing Leicester's reserves, for example) is also a good reason to go against this.

Happy to say I don't have a Sky subscription and never have done.

I respectfully disagree. It legitimises B teams. Therefore in the future when the question of B teams in the league is raised again, we will be more likely to accept them as the 'norm'. This is a pilot scheme and it is absolutely diabolical. Boycotting is the best way to ensure it doesn't happen again and they come up with something better.

That could include cheaper ticket prices, tightening up regionisation or inviting say the top 16 Conference clubs to join. I for one would much rather play Woking/Braintree than Chelsea or Arsenal's B team. The insult of playing a reserve team (a club like Sheffield United has to demean itself by playing Leicester's reserves, for example) is also a good reason to go against this.

Happy to say I don't have a Sky subscription and never have done.

I think Sheffield United have managed to demean themselves very successfully in the last 10 years without any outside help.:winking:

On a more serious note for the dedicated lower league fan Woking/Braintree may have some appeal, but that won't clear our debts as more of the floating fans may come to see West ham/Arsenal under 23's. Sky have to increase the interest and viewing figures for us to make any extra money. Personally I would prefer a final of Southend v Man U under 23's than Crew

Yes I know some haven't entered but its early days and lets not forget England never entered a world Cup until 1950.

Personally I would prefer a final of Southend v Man U under 23's than Crew

I guess that's fair enough, but I wouldn't and I suspect the majority wouldn't either. That's only my opinion of course, I could be wrong.

I don't think there is the appetite to watch Premier League youth teams that you suggest, how many fans turn up to their academy games normally?

I guess that's fair enough, but I wouldn't and I suspect the majority wouldn't either. That's only my opinion of course, I could be wrong.

I don't think there is the appetite to watch Premier League youth teams that you suggest, how many fans turn up to their academy games normally?

Your probably right, I was only giving my personal opinion.

I would say fans become more interested the further your team go in the cup. I have been to some FA youth cup matches with some very good crowds. Who knows how many Arsenal fans would turn up for a 2 legged area final against Southend.

As is the modern trend this is all about money, the smaller clubs can't resist this temptation to make a few quid while forgetting the long term future of the game. We could have the distasteful spectacle of a Wembley final involving Chelsea u23 v West Ham u23. The competitions usual format always gave a dream to fans like ourselves and the Mansfield's and Newport's of a Wembley final. The clubs who have agreed to this have sold their souls to the devil.

As is the modern trend this is all about money, the smaller clubs can't resist this temptation to make a few quid while forgetting the long term future of the game. We could have the distasteful spectacle of a Wembley final involving Chelsea u23 v West Ham u23. The competitions usual format always gave a dream to fans like ourselves and the Mansfield's and Newport's of a Wembley final. The clubs who have agreed to this have sold their souls to the devil.

They have, but only because they've all been so starved of cash by the Premier League/awful distribution of cash over the years that they are desperate. Football League clubs lead a hand-to-mouth existence and can only afford to think short-term. The PL has us over a barrel.

Personally I am as anti this whole thing as anyone, but I understand why clubs voted for it even if I don't agree with them.

And thankfully that won't be the final because as far as I am aware the competition is still regionised so you have a south v north final. And I don't think these u23 teams are anywhere near as good as people are making out. Any self-respecting League One side should beat an academy side.

And thankfully that won't be the final because as far as I am aware the competition is still regionised so you have a south v north final. And I don't think these u23 teams are anywhere near as good as people are making out. Any self-respecting League One side should beat an academy side.

These teams will be as strong as the clubs want them to be. Six U21s combined with five Premiership substitutes with half the youngsters (who could well be over 21 by the time the matches are played) able to be substituted by senior players during the game could be a very strong team.

I'm not sure where U23 comes into things though as these rules were published yesterday:

http://www.efl.com/global/trophyrules.aspx

Could well find that an 'Invited club', as the EFL refers to them, fields a player who's wages are higher than the opposition eleven's combined wage packet.....

Could well find that an 'Invited club', as the EFL refers to them, fields a player who's wages are higher than the opposition eleven's combined wage packet.....

There's every possibility that it could very well happen.... The Everton V Cheltenham match or the Leicester City V Grimsby Town match or the Chelsea V Exeter game, immediately spring to mind.

The average wage for a division 2 player during the 2014/15 season was £40,350 (£776 a week) so that's just say this season it has increased to £1k a week, It would only take a Premiership fringe player to be earning more than £11k a week to beat the whole of the opposition's wage bill.

Last edited:
Back