• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricket World Cup (50 Overs)

Bangladesh have beaten the Dutch. That being so, am I right in thinking that, even if we beat the Windies, there's no guarantee we'll go through...? If the following results (which aren't beyond the realms of possibility) happen...

England beat Windies (just)
South Africa beat Ireland
Bangles beat South Africa
Windies beat India (just)

...then aren't you left with the following table:

Windies - 8 pts
Bangles - 8 pts
SA - 8 pts
India - 7 pts
England - 7pts

...and, seeing how we tied with India, then it's presumably down to NRR (*) - and theirs is better than ours. So, actually, aren't we rather relying on the South Africans doing us a massive favour by beating Bangladesh?

Pfff. Bring on the summer, and some Test cricket, since we're roooobish at this one-day lark.

(*In fact, NRR trumps the result in the game...)

Matt the Shrimp said:
Bangladesh have beaten the Dutch. That being so, am I right in thinking that, even if we beat the Windies, there's no guarantee we'll go through...? If the following results (which aren't beyond the realms of possibility) happen...

Windies - 8 pts
Bangles - 8 pts
SA - 8 pts
India - 7 pts
England - 7pts

...and, seeing how we tied with India, then it's presumably down to NRR (*) - and theirs is better than ours. So, actually, aren't we rather relying on the South Africans doing us a massive favour by beating Bangladesh?

Pfff. Bring on the summer, and some Test cricket, since we're roooobish at this one-day lark.

I can see one of the last 2 happening, but not both. SA should have way too much for the Bangles. Mind you it will all be immaterial once we've lost on Thursday....

Windies - 8 pts
Bangles - 8 pts
SA - 8 pts
India - 7 pts
England - 7pts

Having been away, I'm not up to speed. What's happening in the other group? Could that be the key as South Africa may want to finish in a certain position to ensure that they play NZ rather than Sri Lanka or Australia.

Can definitely see South Africa losing to Bangladesh if already qualified and it knocks out one of India or England, but the WIndies beating India as well would be a long shot.

I dont think teams are going to try to fix their own finishing positions, World Cups are won by momentum more than anything (England in last years T20??) everyone will be going flat out every match surely, oh and i predict we'll be on the end of a Gayle storm on Thursday and on a plane Friday

STRAUSS OUT !!!!!!

You may get your wish about Strauss Lee as it's rumoured he'll give up the ODI captaincy after the world cup. Who'll follow is anyone's guess, Collingwood isn't currently worth his place in the side, and future test captain Cook doesn't make the side. I remain optimistic that England will qualify for the Q-F's but if they finish 4th they're likely to play the convicts. I had enough of hearing that recalcitrant convict ****pig Chappell chuckling about England's impending demise yesterday.

I know my Strauss Out rant was off the cuff but even so if he does go the question as to who would replace him is a valid one as he is the only natural leader in the side, noting Colly of course but as H says he isn't worth his place at the minute .. back to KP now the odious Moores not there?? I would but i doubt VERY much that the selectors will back down that far

I've an idea that KP may have blotted his copy book with Andy Flower so hell may freeze over first before he gets another shot at the captaincy with Flower in charge. Even though we won the T20 World Cup under Collingwood I've never thought he was a natural at the job. I think they will have to turn to Cook, or possibly Stuart Broad, I don't see much captaincy material elsewhere

I've an idea that KP may have blotted his copy book with Andy Flower so hell may freeze over first before he gets another shot at the captaincy with Flower in charge. Even though we won the T20 World Cup under Collingwood I've never thought he was a natural at the job. I think they will have to turn to Cook, or possibly Stuart Broad, I don't see much captaincy material elsewhere

Id rather not burden Broad with any extra responsibilty as he is one of our true star players and I would rather he be free to work on his batting (and bowling) to really help England push on. Plus he is a bit hot headed at the moment. I would think it likely Cook would come in, he is not that bad a one day player but the other regulars are not really that great an option either.....

Morgan would be my first name on the team sheet for the ODIs, has he got any experience with captaincy?

Not really that I know of. Plus similar to Broad, Id rather leave my better players to get on with winning matches rather than burden them with the captaincy. Morgan, Broad (KP- maybe) are our main men and so there is plenty of spaces to fill with others who perhaps wouldnt be hindered by captaincy.....

Id probably favour Cook as a like for like replacement for Strauss, but woudl rather Strauss stay on and Cook saves up his runs for tests....

Nice to see Brett Lee's first over go for 16 against Canada. And now Tait is spraying wides so they've started with 32 runs from 15 balls! Doubt it will make that much difference to the result but nice to see the Convicts getting tonked about.

[video=youtube;t6C6oh8B5M8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6C6oh8B5M8&feature=player_embedded#at=33[/video]

Back