• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future COSU, Communications & Future

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion

Do you think it reasonable that COSU give us an update on progress.

• Yes

Votes: 168 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 11.3%
  • Not bothered either way.

Votes: 82 29.1%

• Total voters
The idea of them bringing out a statement is troubling me. I'm not sure how they could manage the expectations of some of our fanbase without opening themselves up to criticism and also being accused of a lack of ambition. You just can't win sometimes. I appreciate in the social media age people want constant updates but at the moment the focus has to be getting the club stable. That is a big project that will take a lot of time and money.

The well is a little dry for Kev and co (let's not forget there are still a LOT of creditors being paid off from the days of Ron), but on the flip side COSU are willing to put their belief in a management team and players that has achieved incredible things in even harsher scenarios. They believe in the players and management to ride this short-term crisis out.

We do need more players, and it will cost us points. It is unfortunate but so many skeletons have been uncovered behind the scenes that have cost COSU millions of pounds, it was never going to be a smooth transition from absolute basket case about to die to a normal club.

I find the doom and gloom a little unsettling. Perhaps it's because my expectations were a little lower than some, but we're five games into the season and we haven't even started badly - I doubt anyone has had a tougher start in terms of fixtures and it isn't getting easier any time soon.

We're all impatient for signings but the harsh truth is this was always likely to be a season of transition. We still have a top coaching team, a great recruitment system and a good, committed team capable of challenging for the playoffs and I fully expect us to do so, even without the issues of the last week. It's a far cry from the years I spent watching Southend United teams who were not bothered about playing for the shirt.

Last edited:
This thread is so downbeat and depressing that you could be forgiven for thinking Ron was still in charge. Give COSU a bit of time. It isn’t going to happen overnight and some of you seriously need to lower your expectations. Even Wrexham failed to get promoted at the first attempt following their takeover. Have some patience!
Seems to me that a lot of posters on here are 🍺 half full…….Rome apparently wasn’t built in a day………..me?
I prefer my glass to be full everyday 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

So, can I suggest some people just remember where we were back in July,

This is the key point. Please, I implore everyone to remember this.

Back in July, we almost lost this club. As a fanbase, we should be pulling in the same direction & doing all we can to ensure we aren’t ever in that position again.

One of the most important elements to that, is holding the owners to account. How do we do that, if we don’t know the plans?

We don’t even need to know the ins and outs, we just need to know what the general plan is. The plan to improve as a club, to become sustainable.

This isn’t an anti-COSU sentiment, or even an ungrateful one, it’s just wanting the best for our club, tempering expectations and working together moving forward

Have COSU spent another £1m somewhere?

I thought they had spent £3m on the clubs debts. This was the figure banded about in June / July. Then that seemed to rise to £3.5m and now I'm seeing that they have spent £4m on the debts

So forgive me but which is it. The scoreboard has been paid for by the sponsors, the new beers on tap haven't cost the club that much has it? I've not seen any buildings at the training pitch and it doesn't cost that much to cut the grass and water it.

I'm not fussed for a statement from COSU about how they plan to run the club etc They did a big talk on it last January about their plans. I don't need a blow by blow detail of where they are in their Gantt chart and detailed analysis. Why has everyone suddenly become an expert in project management and wish to know whether deadlines are slipping and want a statement released.

If COSU did release a statement i'm sure it would give some posters a chance to tear into it and criticise their approach / pace of change etc

I for one am just grateful to have a club. The improvements will come in time

I thought they had spent £3m on the clubs debts. This was the figure banded about in June / July. Then that seemed to rise to £3.5m and now I'm seeing that they have spent £4m on the debts

So forgive me but which is it. The scoreboard has been paid for by the sponsors, the new beers on tap haven't cost the club that much has it? I've not seen any buildings at the training pitch and it doesn't cost that much to cut the grass and water it.
I think it was £3.5m in June. They didn't take over until 19/7, so more would have been spent on wages etc. and I'm sure there was some talk of another creditor being paid off.

However, it doesn't really matter. £3m or £4m... they weren't expecting to have to spend it in the way they did.

Reactions: TSG

I'm not fussed for a statement from COSU about how they plan to run the club etc They did a big talk on it last January about their plans. I don't need a blow by blow detail of where they are in their Gantt chart and detailed analysis. Why has everyone suddenly become an expert in project management and wish to know whether deadlines are slipping and want a statement released.

If COSU did release a statement i'm sure it would give some posters a chance to tear into it and criticise their approach / pace of change etc

I for one am just grateful to have a club. The improvements will come in time

There were many debts that were waiting for COSU to takeover to be paid off. PG Site Services for example publicly said they had agreed a payment plan that commenced once the takeover was complete, and involved payments over a period of a few months. So yes I can well believe that their is significant amounts of cash being pumped in that as far as we can see is not leading to any tangible benefit - -ie., paying off historic debts. I hope that these payments reduce over the next few months which may allow some cashflow to be redirected to more tangible benefits.

In response to a question about how COSU decide on a transfer - I have no itk info - but I'd be surprised if they were involved. They set the budget, it's then down to TL and Kev & co to decide how its spent. I'd only expect COSU to be consulted if it needed a change to the budget, or timing of cashflows.

The idea of them bringing out a statement is troubling me. I'm not sure how they could manage the expectations of some of our fanbase without opening themselves up to criticism and also being accused of a lack of ambition. You just can't win sometimes. I appreciate in the social media age people want constant updates but at the moment the focus has to be getting the club stable. That is a big project that will take a lot of time and money.

The well is a little dry for Kev and co (let's not forget there are still a LOT of creditors being paid off from the days of Ron), but on the flip side COSU are willing to put their belief in a management team and players that has achieved incredible things in even harsher scenarios. They believe in the players and management to ride this short-term crisis out.

We do need more players, and it will cost us points. It is unfortunate but so many skeletons have been uncovered behind the scenes that have cost COSU millions of pounds, it was never going to be a smooth transition from absolute basket case about to die to a normal club.

I find the doom and gloom a little unsettling. Perhaps it's because my expectations were a little lower than some, but we're five games into the season and we haven't even started badly - I doubt anyone has had a tougher start in terms of fixtures and it isn't getting easier any time soon.

We're all impatient for signings but the harsh truth is this was always likely to be a season of transition. We still have a top coaching team, a great recruitment system and a good, committed team capable of challenging for the playoffs and I fully expect us to do so, even without the issues of the last week. It's a far cry from the years I spent watching Southend United teams who were not bothered about playing for the shirt.
Listening to Tom on POF podcast with Liam indicates where his thinking was. If I recall correctly he said when pressed about this season was no pressure on Kev (he’ll still put pressure on himself, that’s Kev) but they’d like to make playoffs.

This is the key point. Please, I implore everyone to remember this.

Back in July, we almost lost this club. As a fanbase, we should be pulling in the same direction & doing all we can to ensure we aren’t ever in that position again.

One of the most important elements to that, is holding the owners to account. How do we do that, if we don’t know the plans?

We don’t even need to know the ins and outs, we just need to know what the general plan is. The plan to improve as a club, to become sustainable.

This isn’t an anti-COSU sentiment, or even an ungrateful one, it’s just wanting the best for our club, tempering expectations and working together moving forward
Their plan is to become a sustainable club as you say.

How are you intending to hold them to account on that?

It's really not clear what those calling for a statement expect COSU to say.

Long-term plan? Covered in detail at the Cliffs.

Where are we/new sponsors spending money? In less than two months we've had a scoreboard, upgraded signage, functional and fully-stocked club shop, new training pitches made usable. Backed up by some good social media and marketing content to promote it.

Transfer/wage budget? Have seen suggestions in this thread ranging from 'splash the cash to replace Cardwell immediately' to 'admit that playing staff budget will be limited because the money needs to go to making RH and the business side of the club sustainable'. Anything said at this point just because some people on SZ are asking for it risks annoying everyone and pleasing no-one (not to mention showing our hand to other clubs and agents whose players we're after).

I suspect that after a couple of years of constant off-the-pitch news and drama our new owners are quite keen to allow everyone associated with the club the luxury of focusing primarily on the football for a bit rather than club statements. Dare I suggest that if we were sitting on 9 points rather than 6 after a fortnight of no matches, football would indeed be the primary focus of this thread and it wouldn't have turned into a mini COSU moan rather than transfer rumours.

The one thing I do think it would be good for COSU to follow through on later in the autumn would be to establish the promised shadow board. This would provide clear structure, timings etc. for fan and community engagement going forward and make it easier for us to hold our new custodians to account - certainly more effectively than disparate, competing calls for some kind of statement.

I think it was £3.5m in June. They didn't take over until 19/7, so more would have been spent on wages etc. and I'm sure there was some talk of another creditor being paid off.

However, it doesn't really matter. £3m or £4m... they weren't expecting to have to spend it in the way they did.
Is that right though?

They purchased the club for a £1 knowing the debts (I’m sure a few have been hidden) but the majority.

“Spending £3m they didn’t plan” isn’t the case.

They had to spend £3m whilst NOT owning the club. That’s ****.

But that £3m they would’ve had to spend if the deal went through when it was initially agreed - which is what they would’ve budgeted from…

They didn’t buy the club for a £1 and then expect it debt free.

So unless their plan was…clear the debt. Move the training ground to a separate business (which they have - it’s not owned by SUFC) and now what?

Put some cash in and on we go.

No it's people demanding a statement on budget and strategy thread, something we have never had before and makes zero sense to demand now.
Impatience coupled with bad luck on the injury and release clause front has caused people to lose their minds.
This ^^^^

Just saying......
The late Franz Beckenbauer once described football as “the world’s best means of communication. (...) Young or old, players or fans, rich or poor, the game makes everyone equal”. With a fanbase estimated at 3.5bn people and growing, it is hard to dispute football’s global appeal. Yet, the quote also strikes at the heart of the challenge that football clubs face in trying to engage ever growing fan bases: How do you connect with both young and old, rich and poor fans who may live five or 5,000 miles from the stadium?

Clubs that can solve this dilemma have a clear advantage as research finds that engaged fans spend six times more than casual fans.

Just saying......
The late Franz Beckenbauer once described football as “the world’s best means of communication. (...) Young or old, players or fans, rich or poor, the game makes everyone equal”. With a fanbase estimated at 3.5bn people and growing, it is hard to dispute football’s global appeal. Yet, the quote also strikes at the heart of the challenge that football clubs face in trying to engage ever growing fan bases: How do you connect with both young and old, rich and poor fans who may live five or 5,000 miles from the stadium?

Clubs that can solve this dilemma have a clear advantage as research finds that engaged fans spend six times more than casual fans.

Are we buying one of the Deloitte researchers? Cool.

Well, this thread is becoming incredible.

Less than 50 days... that's how long COSU have actually been in charge.

Some people have the memories of goldfish on here. Have we forgotten that we so nearly didn't have a club AT ALL until Justin and the consortium literally wrenched it from the hands of the Martin family? To do so, they had to spend around £4m they weren't expecting to just to keep the club alive? That was an enormous leap of faith to make and let's remember they haven't even got what they actually wanted yet.

COSU (Justin aside) are effectively the same us us; SUFC fans through and through, but with a bit more money than most of us and they are prepared to lose some of it by keeping us afloat. And I'm not going to use the word "invest" because that implies a return, which I very much doubt any of them will get.

They've stuck their hands in their pockets to keep us alive with no prospect or promise of even getting to where we are today, which at one stage seemed like it would take a bloody miracle. And yet now people are moaning like **** because they haven't brought in players, or delivered updates, or done anything much around the stadium, or (insert gripe here).

Re players, Kev won't want to just sign anyone. The problem with just getting anyone in is that the budget is tight and he doesn't just want anyone; he wants the right person. It's a tricky call and when you have a week like last week, with two totally unexpected events occurring, it can temporarily sabotage the plans.

As for information, we all want it but none of us are entitled to it. Regular updates from COSU could be quarterly, for instance, and I have no problem with that. I've been brought up in an era of no information at all unless you happened to be personally involved or know someone.

So, can I suggest some people just remember where we were back in July, look at where we are now and be thankful for the guys who have made that possible. Personally, I will be buying every shirt that comes out this season, will be doing any pre-match drinking or eating at the club rather than in local places and will try and do whatever I can to help COSU get us back to where we belong.

I'm not saying we should all do that but at the very least, show some patience and faith. Rome wasn't built in a day and they aren't starting with a clean beginning; there is a hell of a lot of catch up to do.
A brilliant post, thank you.

Just reading the last few pages of this thread. It seems that just a few weeks into their tenure, some are already starting to criticise our new owners. People have VERY short memories.

I don't think anyone is ungrateful for the club being taken over. I'm certainly not.

But for the self sufficiency that Cosu crave, it will take more than a revamped north bank and easier beers on a matchday. Sure little things are important and will hopefully reap a financial reward, but let's not kid ourselves. A few years of midtable mediocrity in the national league is more of a threat to the long term success of this football club.

Any foundations that the consortium build will have to include league football. It's the blocks from which all future success hinges.

We could have a 16k capacity roots Hall that's been renovated to a thing of beauty. It will be completely irrelevant if we are just goign through the motions in the national league.

Get the club out of this league and back to were it belongs and then set about rejuvenating roots Hall. Neglecting the playing side to improve roots Hall at this level is complete folly. The fan base and the team are the club.

Before anyone jumps down my neck about budget. I realise Cosu have had a baptism of fire getting control and spent a fortune.

Without a successful team, it will be wasted money.

Back