• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future COSU, Communications & Future

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion

Do you think it reasonable that COSU give us an update on progress.

• Yes

Votes: 168 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 11.3%
  • Not bothered either way.

Votes: 82 29.1%

• Total voters
I'm not one for conspiracy theories but reaching for my tin foil hat I find it odd how onside fans were kept for months when the consortium wanted support and pressure applied to the previous owner and the council. Now the deal is done we don't hear a dam thing. I suspect you're right and that all energy was put into the deal and not much thought into what comes after and who is responsible for what and it's a steep learning process.
What exactly are you not hearing that you want to hear?

One of the big things I was looking forward too which is an easy and likely relatively cheap win post Ron. Being able to go to the toilet and wash my hands with hot/warm water, have hand soap and then use a working hand dryer or have hand towels.

I know time was short between the official takeover and their first official day but, was it that hard to pop to Costco and pick up a bulk load of Carex? I wasn’t expecting it to be Claridge standard bathroom but the ability to clean my hands would be nice!

This then moves onto what are they doing, these are small easy wins. I tempered my expectations, yes it would’ve been nice to splash out and get McCallum but they have shelled out a lot already and next season should be the push if we can’t quite manage it this year. Why has no one from COSU or Tom as the CEO put out a little statement. The takeover statement looked like a last minute after thought, little care or attention to it. The last thing fans wants to hear is the thanking of the Rat family!

Now we are just shy of 50 days into their reign and it’s been complete and utter radio silence from them!

There seems to be a strange attitude and aggressive style from some of, how dare you say anything negative or criticise them, they saved us.

I and I expect others who have made comments about the lack of comms is not a witch hunt. Those men got us out of a black hole they didn’t look like it ever ended. I and I expect every Southend fan will remain thankful to them for saving us from the Martin family’s claws! What I would like is something, I don’t expect their full dossier, their budgets, their vital statistics. What I do expect as a fan and a customer is some form of communication. What small easy wins can you get over the line? Is there something that will take us longer?

Everyone tempered their expectations with on the pitch, give us something to help realise our expectations with off the field situations, most importantly our matchday experience. You know the key thing that will get money through the door!

I am feeling disgusted at the moment, why do people say they support the club and then write hundreds of posts criticising the new owners after only a few weeks have passed, playing five games and only losing one. A little while ago thousands of posts saying how great the new owners are and once Ron Martin goes everything will be fine. One train breakdown and they are having a go at the management for going by train on the day, not being transparent and letting then know everything. Complaining about the lack of toilet paper in the loos after wanting to stay at the old and run-down Roots Hall. I don't care about transparency if they get the football side sorted and ground fit to a reasonable standard that is all I want. If you can't take a few minor hiccups in such a small space of time go somewhere else and support West Ham, Colchester or whoever.

Joking aside, I wish we were moving to a new stadium with decent facilities in the near future.
So do I mate, but that's going to cost a load of money and it's going to take time to come up with a plan regarding that - so I'll be surprised if it happens any time soon. Six months ago I was worried we wouldn't exist for much longer, so I'll take where we find ourselves now.

I can fully understand why Maher has found the last week really tough as when Ron was here we all knew it was a sh*tshow however I do think COSU need to do something.

We have lost a key centre back for whatever reason (carries on the sh*tshow with the constant drama)
We have lost our main striker to a rival
We have a really thin squad
We have no experienced striker (2 goals in 39 games in very underwhelming)
We havent been playing great or killing off games when we are playing well
Apart from the scoreboard, clock working and the new sign has anyone noticed any difference at the ground?
It appears we have little money to improve the team at the moment more than 'the right players arent available'
We have a very tough run of games coming up

It is a bit depressing at the moment.
Not as depressing as when they kept finding all RATS UNPAID BILLS hidden in draws n cupboards, yet still invested in the club and we still have a team to support!!!
They need time, and we have to have faith and be patient. With crowds of 6500 plus at home games we will get there but please remember it won’t be a quick fix. 25 years of miss ownership can’t be rectified in 6 weeks!!!!

What exactly are you not hearing that you want to hear?

For starters:

• Fanzone - when, where?
  • Food/drink issues
  • Toilet issues
  • Stadium redevelopment plans
  • Work commencing on stadium date
  • Reduction of debts (when will they be clear?)
  • 200k running costs reduced?
  • Plans for training ground
  • Current playing budget against rivals
  • Playing budget increase in future?
  • plans for community engagement (local schools/kid-a-quid/summer schools
  • Fan advisory board
  • Fan ownership/percentage
  • Flats at RH
You know, the plans for moving the club forward.

90% of that has all been laid out before, nothing would have changed in how they plan on running it. seems like weve hit a road bump and people are wanting the consortium to make a statement of who they want to sign and how much money is available

It was laid out briefly in January, at the Cliffs night.

The deal between COSU/Ron/Council has changed since then, ergo the plans may or may not have changed for the future running of the club.

We don’t know.

It was laid out briefly in January, at the Cliffs night.

The deal between COSU/Ron/Council has changed since then, ergo the plans may or may not have changed for the future running of the club.

We don’t know.
The only change will be the property exchange. Running the football club will be the EXACT same as they laid out very extensively. We have had injuries, player sale and disciplinary, what is their "statement" going to consist of?

"Hi, were still here, but a few players arent, Kev is looking at signing someone. Thanks"

The only change will be the property exchange. Running the football club will be the EXACT same as they laid out very extensively. We have had injuries, player sale and disciplinary, what is their "statement" going to consist of?

"Hi, were still here, but a few players arent, Kev is looking at signing someone. Thanks"

It’s not the only change. Originally they hoped to get £20m for redeveloping RH. That figure has changed, which will have likely changed their plans. We don’t know. Clarity would be nice.

One area of how they planned to run the club was using funds generated from fanzones & improved food/drink facilities. At the time of writing, those things haven’t happened yet & there is no clear plan for when they will come into effect.

Forget the playing side. Forget Cardwell & Kensdale leaving. This isn’t about that. It’s just wanting to know our club is in safe hands moving forwards. I’m sure it is, just some visible reassurance would be nice.

It’s not the only change. Originally they hoped to get £20m for redeveloping RH. That figure has changed, which will have likely changed their plans. We don’t know. Clarity would be nice.

One area of how they planned to run the club was using funds generated from fanzones & improved food/drink facilities. At the time of writing, those things haven’t happened yet & there is no clear plan for when they will come into effect.

Forget the playing side. Forget Cardwell & Kensdale leaving. This isn’t about that. It’s just wanting to know our club is in safe hands moving forwards.
Think youre being rather impatient. To even doubt the club is in safe hands is very wild to me, given all COSU have done so far. I once again state, they have been in full control of the football club for 49 days. Things will change in time, but no entitlement or need for any form of statement is needed, at all.

Love the way that some on here assume that in the absence of regular updates there are no clear plans in place to improve the stadium, the facilities, the squad.

How long until the sack the board posts start appearing?

I for one don’t need regular updates to have 100% confidence that the club is in safe hands and the requisite plans are in place to improve our club.

Oh WOW I have just logged on after a very busy day and cannot believe what I am reading on here with some of the posts.

I totally understand people wanting to know what is happening at the club and I think it is a little naive of the club to be so quiet. I am sure if a statement was put out just saying - we are working in the background to get things up and running please be patient with us - would be sufficient for most of us and as a collective group I think we would all appreciate it.
Let remember we have no right to ask certain questions around the intimate running of the club/buisness and that in any organisation some things remain private and confidential.

Given the fall out from the Martin era this was never going to be a quick fix job and sooooo much needs addressing and I for one and just thankful we now have a group of people who have been prepared to take this task on and I think we all just need to be a little more patient.

For starters:

• Fanzone - when, where?
  • Food/drink issues
  • Toilet issues
  • Stadium redevelopment plans
  • Work commencing on stadium date
  • Reduction of debts (when will they be clear?)
  • 200k running costs reduced?
  • Plans for training ground
  • Current playing budget against rivals
  • Playing budget increase in future?
  • plans for community engagement (local schools/kid-a-quid/summer schools
  • Fan advisory board
  • Fan ownership/percentage
  • Flats at RH
You know, the plans for moving the club forward.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but they will never come out and say about the budget, and why should they.

The budget is something very much kept in house, the only people that know the budget are the ones that need to know. Same with player wages.

I can find out loads of stuff from my people, some inside the club, some outside, but I’ll never find out how much X is on from them, or how much of our budget is left. I’ve been told there is room in the budget to bring in people, but that doesn’t tell me if that is 1/2, 3/4, one superstar, 8 decent lower league players, 27484 loanees or whatever.

As I say, I agree COSU should put something out there, and what you’ve put ticks a lot of the boxes, but we won’t hear about budgets.

As for point two, I’ve had no drink issues, are there any? Im loving having cruzcampo on tap. Or do you mean in terms of getting drinks at half time?

Think youre being rather impatient.

I don’t/didn’t expect results/change straight away. I’d settle for several years at this level if it gets us onto an even keel, so we can become self-sustaining.

To even doubt the club is in safe hands is very wild to me, given all COSU have done so far.

You trust too easy. I remember the same sentiments being shared about uncle Ron.

I remember calling him out for what he was back in 2007, and for years people said he was ok, he’d do right by us, etc etc.

Also, for clarity, I’m in no way lumping COSU into the same bracket as Ron. I’ll forever be grateful for what they have done for us. Hero’s every one of them.

My stance is constructive criticism, for the good of the club.

I once again state, they have been in full control of the football club for 49 days. Things will change in time, but no entitlement or need for any form of statement is needed, at all.

In your opinion, which you’re freely entitled to.

Back