• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future COSU, Communications & Future

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion

Do you think it reasonable that COSU give us an update on progress.

• Yes

Votes: 168 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 11.3%
  • Not bothered either way.

Votes: 82 29.1%

• Total voters
I don't think any Southend fan was expecting wrexham or stockport style assault but I think the majority were expecting little bit more backing for our management team in the transfer market to have real go at getting into those play off places this season hence the 7k plus week at Roots Hall..... unfortunately this season is starting to feel like bit of disaster with our squad stretched to the limit and no potential incomings ie striker with our manager appearing unhappy at the current situation. Transparency from COSU to the fans is poor (well non existent). You would of thought by now justin would of done 20 minute video through Southend united social media channels to outline plans for the present and Southend future going forward but currently its wall of silence. Don't know about other fans but I feel bit underwhelmed so far. Hopefully our current situation will improve.

COSU though did raise expectations by being so strong throughout and quite dynamic initially when it came to communication. The latter did raise expectations by them and now deafening silence feels understandably bizarre, but what they have d bravely done is also amazing and Im so grateful to them

No doubt a lot of new learning is going on as well as understanding how the dynamic with 9 amigos COSU members works best, the already genuine largesse in the funding put in is amazing

However I think some of our demise was predictable and should have been addressed a bit more quickly, especially relating to squad size and the predictable level of injury as well as the plans for an ongoing Communications strategy

Its pretty clear a lot of people are getting tetchy over a lot of things at the moment.

Pretty sure COSU putting out a statement outlining some plans for moving forward would quell a lot of it.
I have to admit, I do think that could extinguish the flames immensely.
If COSU came out and said the reason the playing budget is less is because they are building temporary training facilities by Christmas, knocking down the back of the West Stand in the off season, paying off certain historic debts and the like, fans would understand. They might not be immediately happy, but they would see that there is a plan and a coherent reason for the playing side to go stagnant. At the moment, fans are just seeing negatives with no communication whatsoever.

Selling your best player and losing another to disciplinary issues without a proper statement of intent, isn't great. Of course, we couldn't help Cardwell's sale, but that won't appease the majority of the 4000 season card holders wondering what value they'll get now out of one loanee striker. Especially when the 'poster boy' was plastered all over the marketing department to buy one. It's something that does need to be addressed.

From Maher's comments today, it doesn't seem like they are buying anyone, just trying to get loans that aren't working out. A loan after losing Cardwell for half decent money won't satisfy the majority. Making a statement of why and how COSU are taking this route would go a long way for sure. People will say they said what their plan was in January. Yes, that was when they thought they'd get the club imminently. They had to wait another 6 months, so clearly the plans changed. The fans haven't been informed of those changed/revised plans. I do think it is time to speak up before they lose the overall positivity that was created in the summer.

Totally agree with this. If the consortium are not prepared to stump up money to improve team and gain success what was the point of taking over the Club. Sorry COSU but at this moment in time there is no clear sign that we are much better off under you. Yes there is almost certainly so much **** that they have off field to deal with but we are a football club and on field is where success comes. We need to be competitive on the pitch. I do not think we are. Mid table mediocrity this season. The scoreboard paid for by Wefinanceanycar. (more advertising than scoreboard) Main stand car park sign paid for by Foxhie. Facilities still crap (soap) I have not seen anything that looks as if COSU have improved ground. Come on COSU pull your bloody finger out. Back the Amigos and give Kev the tools to **** this league. I am not saying COSU aren't good for the club but so far in the short time they have owned the Club I think there has been a lot of hype but not a lot of noticeable improvement or communication. Just waiting for the people who wont read my post correctly and give me ****.
Err.,,,, without COSU we wouldn't still have a club - as most of them were long term supporters I guess that was 'the point of taking over the Club'. Patience is the key word.

Last edited:
Is anyone certain that COSU "arent backing" us the way we hoped, or is there a possibility they are and Kev just hasnt found anyone worth it?

Totally agree with this. If the consortium are not prepared to stump up money to improve team and gain success what was the point of taking over the Club. Sorry COSU but at this moment in time there is no clear sign that we are much better off under you. Yes there is almost certainly so much **** that they have off field to deal with but we are a football club and on field is where success comes. We need to be competitive on the pitch. I do not think we are. Mid table mediocrity this season. The scoreboard paid for by Wefinanceanycar. (more advertising than scoreboard) Main stand car park sign paid for by Foxhie. Facilities still crap (soap) I have not seen anything that looks as if COSU have improved ground. Come on COSU pull your bloody finger out. Back the Amigos and give Kev the tools to **** this league. I am not saying COSU aren't good for the club but so far in the short time they have owned the Club I think there has been a lot of hype but not a lot of noticeable improvement or communication. Just waiting for the people who wont read my post correctly and give me ****.

Aren’t much better off than under RM? Seriously?

We were minutes from not being allowed to compete in any National League competition last season. We almost didn’t have a club both last summer and the summer just gone. We had no running water at the training ground. Numerous games that were in doubt because of not being able to provide safety and medical provisions until the likes of TL, Kev & co put their hands into their own pockets. Last season and this season we didn’t have our safety certificate until the last minute. Staff went months without being paid wages until COSU became involved, and we lost one of our most sellable assets because of this.

If you don’t think things have improved under COSU, then I’m afraid I can’t help you.

Err.,,,, without COSU we wouldn't still have a club - as most of them were long term supporters I guess that was 'the point of taking over the Club'. Patience is the key word.
I totally agree with your statement. Never said we wouldn't. Just questioning things.

Aren’t much better off than under RM? Seriously?

We were minutes from not being allowed to compete in any National League competition last season. We almost didn’t have a club both last summer and the summer just gone. We had no running water at the training ground. Numerous games that were in doubt because of not being able to provide safety and medical provisions until the likes of TL, Kev & co put their hands into their own pockets. Last season and this season we didn’t have our safety certificate until the last minute. Staff went months without being paid wages until COSU became involved, and we lost one of our most sellable assets because of this.

If you don’t think things have improved under COSU, then I’m afraid I can’t help you.
Like I said. Just waiting for the people who wont read my post correctly and give me ****.

Like I said. Just waiting for the people who wont read my post correctly and give me ****.

You said we weren’t much better off under COSU. I’ve given you a list of reasons why we are.

Kev has been backed. We paid a fee for Walker. Gubbins played almost every game for a EFL club (yet people still don’t think we buy players from the EFL), we have paid more than we ever have before (at least since before Tilly) on wages for a loanee from Moncur (another EFL player that we don’t sign). KAF who impressed in this league for Daggers.

Yes, we want another striker. Yes, there are other areas we could improve, but we are, as a whole, miles better off under COSU than before.

You said we weren’t much better off under COSU. I’ve given you a list of reasons why we are.

Kev has been backed. We paid a fee for Walker. Gubbins played almost every game for a EFL club (yet people still don’t think we buy players from the EFL), we have paid more than we ever have before (at least since before Tilly) on wages for a loanee from Moncur (another EFL player that we don’t sign). KAF who impressed in this league for Daggers.

Yes, we want another striker. Yes, there are other areas we could improve, but we are, as a whole, miles better off under COSU than before.
We continue exist under COSU being the main difference.

Sorry COSU but at this moment in time there is no clear sign that we are much better off under you.

yet people still don’t think we buy players from the EFL, Not me.

as a whole, miles better off under COSU than before. Did not say we weren't

I am not getting into a spat with you BW. Appreciate your posts too much. But posting on this site is just asking for trouble. Probably won't bother anymore.

Sorry COSU but at this moment in time there is no clear sign that we are much better off under you.

I am not getting into a spat with you BW. Appreciate your posts too much. But posting on this site is just asking for trouble. Probably won't bother anymore.
I heartily disagree but my previous comment wasn't necessary. Have deleted it.

Read your first paragraph and your third. On one hand you say there is no clear sign, and on the other you agree we are miles better off under COSU.

No spat, just dithering views, which is what makes a forum great. Please don’t stop posting because someone disagrees with you. If that was the case, I’d have had to stop when I have Drewenaldo Broughton my unwavering support.

That’s ridiculous.

What on earth has got into SZ today.

I will say COSU have disappointed in their lack of comms after pledging to do so. Is odd why they haven’t been more communicative.
The amount of communication and presence during the crazy long period of trying to buy the club gave us a good feeling we’d get the same when they takeover, been the complete opposite 😕

Justin Reese is in the boozer enough on a match day sinking pints so surely someone can ask him why the consortium have kept largely silent since the takeover when a promise of regular contact with supporters was made at the cliffs pavilion night
But but but we only want to be Justin’s friend

Back