• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future COSU, Communications & Future

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion

Do you think it reasonable that COSU give us an update on progress.

• Yes

Votes: 168 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 11.3%
  • Not bothered either way.

Votes: 82 29.1%

• Total voters
Is this thread still going?

Majority poll suggests that yes, it is reasonable that COSU give an update on progress. But, that's only if there is an update to give! People seem to want a statement for every little thing.

Should a statement be released - "we have now financially secured a bar of soap for the toilets".

Updates that needed to have been given, have. I find the Internet and Southend website/twitter releases really useful for this.

Cardwell has gone, release clause activated - I read this whilst out of the country so amazed if no one knows!

JD has gone - I read this whilst out of the country so amazed if no one knows!

Keenan Appiah-Forson has joined. - I read this whilst out of the country so amazed if no one knows!

Aribim Pepple has joined on loan.
- I read this whilst out of the country so amazed if no one knows!

Kensdale - pretty sure I read our manager saying he was not available for selection and his situation involves an internal investigation?? I guess then nothing more to say unless he leaves the club. Private matter which would involve legalitees and an appeal process.

Ground - until there is anything to say I can't imagine they'll be anything released. When there is, I'm sure it'll be announced.

Have I/ the rest of the supporter base missed any other news?

A lot was said at the Cliffs about the proposed structure and fan involvement. COSU, though, have barely got their foot in the door.
Yet another soap joke. There is only so many times a point of view can be wilfully misunderstood and a small part of the debate taken out of context, spun, twisted and magnified to a point it looks ridiculous and it still be funny. You then go on to show you have not listened, and have no appreciation of the argument you are belittling, by listing a whole pile of news items about player matters which is missing the point completely.

As you acknowledge currently the yes vote gets 60% to the no vote at 12%.

There is a huge contrast between the communication with supporters before and after the takeover and this is the real issue. Surely on a very basic PR level COSU must realise the concern is growing which could easily be allayed by a simple update on the overall situation.

Yet another soap joke. There is only so many times a point of view can be wilfully misunderstood and a small part of the debate taken out of context, spun, twisted and magnified to a point it looks ridiculous and it still be funny. You then go on to show you have not listened, and have no appreciation of the argument you are belittling, by listing a whole pile of news items about player matters which is missing the point completely.

As you acknowledge currently the yes vote gets 60% to the no vote at 12%.
Please enlighten me, what news exactly are you and I missing out on?

This week the new training grounds were made available to use. All we got was a YouTube video with them kicking the ball on the grass.

Why didn't they make a bigger deal and explain what they have had to do to get it to that point? For all I know all they've done is mow and water the grass.

That's not announcing what they will do, it's telling us what they have done but would do so much to continue the wave of positivity to post Ron era should have.
The training ground is nowhere near complete. A social media post to say the players were now training on the grass there is more than sufficient. When facilities are in place over there and it becomes an actual base, perhaps there will be a bigger deal made of it then?

Since the event at the Cliffs one poster has said that they had spoken to Justin recently and they were now thinking of doing the East stand first so for all we know all the other plans mentioned have changed too.
That's because it is still at the "formulating plans" stage. They're not going to let fans know every time they have a behind-closed-doors change of mind on the approach during the early discussions.

The training ground is nowhere near complete. A social media post to say the players were now training on the grass there is more than sufficient. When facilities are in place over there and it becomes an actual base, perhaps there will be a bigger deal made of it then?

That's because it is still at the "formulating plans" stage. They're not going to let fans know every time they have a behind-closed-doors change of mind on the approach during the early discussions.
I was pointing out that posters had been saying the plans were made public at the Cliffs and on youtube but if they are changing those plans then we are no wiser to what they are doing apart from some titbits from Justin's drinking buddies.

It's been pointed out that Cosu have only had the club 50 days (or so). But they have been funding the club for almost a year. 2 members have been on the board/CEO for a number of years. It's not like they've just got the keys to the stadium, opened the door and there's no soap. They've known about most of the issues for months.

As we heard at the Cliffs, some high level plans are in place. It doesn't seem unreasonable 8 months on for an update - are these plans still in place, what changes have occurred (given the deal changed, have the plans?), what's the current thinking and very approx timescales? What other gremlins have come out of the woodwork? And how can fans help/assist in actioning the plans?

Having read through the thread, it's very clear those who enjoy a friendly relationship with the consortium. Sadly, fearing risking that relationship, they are blinded to actual feedback.

This incessant defence of lack of communication is really sad to see. There's 10 very successful business people involved and not one of them can put together a timeline or roadmap, pop it into a powerpoint and share it?

Tom needs to check with the contractor if the soaps been filled up? Not one of the consortium has been round to check themselves? Or seen the bird **** everywhere even now? Or tried a ****ing burger?

**** scoreboards and signs on the east stand, they need to increase revenue. Do something to make the food edible. Pay a couple of staff for 4 hours on a match day and stick them in the bars to ease the queues. They'll pay for themselves after a couple of rounds.

Spend your money with us was the war cry. We'll I'd love to. But very often can't.

Appeal to the fanbase for skills they are missing. Need a comms manager to put a detailed plan together? Ask. They'll be someone here who can do it. We have ground design and construction experts on this very board. I'm sure some would love to earn a few quid working in the bar. I am sure there are options.

Where's the fan board? Where's the increased engagement?

There are so many quick wins and not all of them even have to cost money.

Who said we had a low budget?

Been well impressed with who we’ve signed, shame we had to play catch-up and we didn’t integrate during pre-season but we are where we are.

:Clap:

After listening to fan feedback, we have managed to take steps as an interim measure to increase our capacity in the West Stand bar to assist with the volume of supporters attending this season.

The increased capacity will be enforced with immediate effect from tonight’s game against Eastleigh.

This evening, the bar will be open from 6pm to 9pm.

Cruzcampo and Amstel will be available on draught, as well as bottled Desperados, Moretti, Madri, Heineken (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), Bulmers and Old Mout.

There will also be a selection of real ales, wines and spirits.

I'm sure there will still be COSU bashers out there not happy with information, sorted out the beers, lost our best forward and bought in a replacement. Doing a wonderful job for me
Not at all, the most important and relevant bit from @Smiffy 's post is this. After listening to fan feedback

The more we ask for and point out issues the more reaction we get. Remember if you don't ask etc.

All this is enhance the club for all, not vilify it or COSU.

These forums are read by the club and it is fantastic they take on board issues fans have.

Last edited:
:Clap:

After listening to fan feedback, we have managed to take steps as an interim measure to increase our capacity in the West Stand bar to assist with the volume of supporters attending this season.

The increased capacity will be enforced with immediate effect from tonight’s game against Eastleigh.

This evening, the bar will be open from 6pm to 9pm.

Cruzcampo and Amstel will be available on draught, as well as bottled Desperados, Moretti, Madri, Heineken (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), Bulmers and Old Mout.

There will also be a selection of real ales, wines and spirits.
That also means the ground will be open 30 minutes before the old time of 6.30ish on a night game.

Not at all, the most important and relevant bit from @Smiffy 's post is this. After listening to fan feedback

The more we ask for and point out issues the more reaction we get. Remember if you don't ask etc.

All this is enhance the club for all, not vilify it or COSU.

These forums are read by the club and it is fantastic they take on board issues fans have.
Agree John as the old adage goes "If you don't ask you don't get" but there has been some that would do well to think "It's not what you say, it's how you say it" There has been some snide and unappreciative rubukes towards COSU, we just need to give them time to achieve across all aspects of the football club, because achieve they will.

Agree John as the old adage goes "If you don't ask you don't get" but there has been some that would do well to think "It's not what you say, it's how you say it" There has been some snide and unappreciative rubukes towards COSU, we just need to give them time to achieve across all aspects of the football club, because achieve they will.
I think the fact we have raised issues and stated we need more communication is baring fruit. Although a statement has not come out yet at least actions are happening, which is great.

I don't agree that COSU should be bashed in any way, just that they need to open dialogue at times about the future and plans.

Little Acorns etc.

I think the fact we have raised issues and stated we need more communication is baring fruit. Although a statement has not come out yet at least actions are happening, which is great.

I don't agree that COSU should be bashed in any way, just that they need to open dialogue at times about the future and plans.

Little Acorns etc.
Totally appreciate where you are coming from John and hopefully soon the tools for good two way communication flow will be established and I definitely don't have you down as a COSU basher, just a redundant 🐀 one 😉

Totally appreciate where you are coming from John and hopefully soon the tools for good two way communication flow will be established and I definitely don't have you down as a COSU basher, just a redundant 🐀 one 😉
I was anti the rat for many many years as you know, i am not anti COSU one iota or have any axe to grind and am not thinking of running the streets with banners, they are doing a fantastic job. What i will say however is it is best to start as you wish to go on and not become what the rat became.

To keep on the side of fans communication is a free road that would suit both the club and the fans. It seems to be working so far with some actions , now we just need dialogue to improve even more.

Last edited:
Back