• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ask anyone who is going to have it.
I've asked a few of our friends and their children and the answer has mostly been because of social responsibility. Nobody said because they want to go on holiday. Yeah, that may be an unspoken plus but it wasn't their main driver. So probably the truth is somewhere in between.

Only approved under emergency procedures. Otherwise I think it will be 2023 before approval. I call that experimental.
Emergency procedures is entirely different from experimental vaccines. It's an emergency because the world was/is engulfed in a pandemic the size of which we have never experienced before.

Emergency procedures is entirely different from experimental vaccines. It's an emergency because the world was/is engulfed in a pandemic the size of which we have never experienced before.

Not quite true because death rates have been much higher in previous pandemics, including forgotten ones in the 50's etc.

Just ask anyone who is going to have it.
My wife and myself have both had it. Neither of us are planning on going abroad this year. We may arrange some day trips out with the children, but we're not jetting off abroad.

I got it because i'm able to and I can have it. There are those that can't have the vaccine for medical reasons. Now, we could all tell those people to stay indoors for the rest of the lives, or the people that can have the vaccine can go out and get it, reducing the risk of those that are unable to take the vaccine.

The same will also be try for the people that do not wish to receive the vaccine. The 74.9% of the adult population that have had the vaccine are not only protecting themselves, but others that can't / won't have the vaccine.

My wife and myself have both had it. Neither of us are planning on going abroad this year. We may arrange some day trips out with the children, but we're not jetting off abroad.

I got it because i'm able to and I can have it. There are those that can't have the vaccine for medical reasons. Now, we could all tell those people to stay indoors for the rest of the lives, or the people that can have the vaccine can go out and get it, reducing the risk of those that are unable to take the vaccine.

The same will also be try for the people that do not wish to receive the vaccine. The 74.9% of the adult population that have had the vaccine are not only protecting themselves, but others that can't / won't have the vaccine.

My wife and I have both had both our jabs. We did have a holiday booked for a wedding, but the wedding has been moved to the UK. However, that wasn't the reason for getting the jab. The reason is simply because it is the right thing to do for society as a whole, and because I really don't want to get ill.

I know this is probably controversial, but I am all for vaccine passports for travel home and abroad, and also for events with large gatherings. The passport should be for people that have been vaccinated and for people that are exempt. There should be no distinction between the 2 so that no-one is made to feel inferior. That way the only people that won't have a vaccine passport are the people that choose not to get vaccinated. The fact that they won't be able to go on holiday or attend events becomes a consequence of their decision. Basically, you weigh up the pros and cons, and if you still decide you don't want the vaccine, then this is one of the cons...

Have a look at annual death rates in UK for last 50 years and then tell us this is an emergency pandemic. There has been numerous years higher than last year and the deaths this year are lower than average.

Have a look at annual death rates in UK for last 50 years and then tell us this is an emergency pandemic. There has been numerous years higher than last year and the deaths this year are lower than average.

If you provide a link I might be tempted not otherwise.

My wife and I have both had both our jabs. We did have a holiday booked for a wedding, but the wedding has been moved to the UK. However, that wasn't the reason for getting the jab. The reason is simply because it is the right thing to do for society as a whole, and because I really don't want to get ill.

I know this is probably controversial, but I am all for vaccine passports for travel home and abroad, and also for events with large gatherings. The passport should be for people that have been vaccinated and for people that are exempt. There should be no distinction between the 2 so that no-one is made to feel inferior. That way the only people that won't have a vaccine passport are the people that choose not to get vaccinated. The fact that they won't be able to go on holiday or attend events becomes a consequence of their decision. Basically, you weigh up the pros and cons, and if you still decide you don't want the vaccine, then this is one of the cons...
A mate of mine is adamant he's not getting the jab, however he loves his foreign holidays and his gigs, so will be interesting to see what happens if these 'passports' do come to fruition. I've got mine (first one - AZ - no side effects) just in case!

On another note, I haven't watched the news or read social media for months. It's much better for your mental health I think.

I'm un-lurking temporarily to point out a lie. This is untrue.

From 2010 - 2019 there was roughly 500,000 deaths per year. In 2020 it rose up to 608,000

"Good" to see the usual faces are anti-vax, Covid deniers. It's like you could connect them in some way....

That's me, bye again.

Last edited:

It's about 6 months since I last looked, so from memory 2020 was the worst death rate for about 20 years. Medical science, road safety etc etc has come a long way in 50 years, so to compare a death rate in 2020 to 1970's would be ignoring this and not the right thing to do.

It's about 6 months since I last looked, so from memory 2020 was the worst death rate for about 20 years. Medical science, road safety etc etc has come a long way in 50 years, so to compare a death rate in 2020 to 1970's would be ignoring this and not the right think to do.

Not to mention due to lockdown the stats for deaths due to road accidents probably plummeted as there was substantially less vehicles on road, the air was cleaner etc. I wonder where all those excessive deaths came from.....?

A mate of mine is adamant he's not getting the jab, however he loves his foreign holidays and his gigs, so will be interesting to see what happens if these 'passports' do come to fruition. I've got mine (first one - AZ - no side effects) just in case!

On another note, I haven't watched the news or read social media for months. It's much better for your mental health I think.

Think this is probably true.The wife's been on at me for ages now to give up watching/reading the news (Spanish/Catalan and UK) but I can't .Don't really do social media apart from daily updates on Faceache and even there I had to put a local guy on ignore for the first time recently.

Good news on deaths today!
To put a downer on the good news, my mate and golfing partner has had both jabs and guess what? Has had a positive lateral flow and having a pcr tommorow!
I knew vaccine wouldn't stop you catching covid but starting to wonder how effective it really is? Time will tell I guess.
The vaccine isn't 100% effective against catching Covid but that doesn't matter as long as it's mostly effective because hospitals will be able to deal with the unlucky people that still catch it (not to mention the vaccine seems to reduce the severity of the symptoms of people that catch Covid so most of them hopefully won't even need the hospital), it's when hospitals overflow that we've got a serious problem.

I'd wait to see what the PCR test says though, lateral flow tests are known to throw out incorrect results from time to time (which is why you're asked to get a PCR test if it comes back positive to verify the result).

I'm un-lurking temporarily to point out a lie. This is untrue.

From 2010 - 2019 there was roughly 500,000 deaths per year. In 2020 it rose up to 608,000

"Good" to see the usual faces are anti-vax, Covid deniers. It's like you could connect them in some way....

That's me, bye again.

Again not telling the true story.
The death rate for 2020 is lower than the death rate pre 2003 for crude mortality rate and 2008 for age standardised mortality rate.

The death rate for 2020 is lower than the death rate pre 2003 for crude mortality rate and 2008 for age standardised mortality rate.
What would the death rate have been for 2020 if we just let the virus rip and had no lockdowns? Much, much higher than it is showing now. You can't just look at the data for 2020 and use that as an argument to try and play down how serious and deadly this virus is.

Normally I'm ok with debating subjects on here, but you appear to be totally entrenched in your opinions on Covid 19 with little or no room for compromise. On that basis, and in the words of Handcock (The Yank film), you do you and I'll do me. And we are done.

You can twist the raw data all you want. If you look at the data 2004-2019 the Crude Mortality Rate and the Age-standardised mortality rate was fairly stable. There could be many reasons why - the smoking ban, improvements in care for serious illness...a myriad of reasons.

But in 2020 we were at 2003 levels again AND the population had risen by almost 8 million.

Why was that? Any data analyist would look to why the death rate spiked in 2020..and if you don't believe it was Covid, can you give me a reason for the (roughly) 78000 rise in deaths from 2019?

So why has the mortality rate for 2020 reverted to pre 2003/8 levels?

Exactly @MK Shrimper , statistics will also show some diseases, polio, TB had been wiped out and had a re-birth over the last few decades. The statistic don't show the easily identified reasons for that.
Not many folks in the 1930/40s had dementia, reasons are simple but the stats will show it as an almost modern era infirmity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back