• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed.But we've all had to become Kreminoligists in the last year or so ie expert in reading between the lines when it comes to interpreting HMG pronouncements on Covid.FWIW, (as I've said), I don't think HMG will go back on its 21st June date.But given the current Govt. mantra is to be driven by data rather than dates,this in itself gives out a mixed message.I totally get that the GB public don't want to be kept in lockdown any longer but there's a reason (IMO) why countries like Germany (and Austria) have already banned British tourists visiting this summer (France is currently activily thinking of doing the same).

If we already aren't perhaps we should be doing the same to Germany and France as daily case numbers and deaths there are much higher then ours (12K with 94 deaths in France and 5.5k with 163 deaths in Germany from latest offical figures on the WHO site). Looks like both countries are cracking on well with their vaccine rollouts now so fingers crossed those numbers will be trending down over the summer for them.

I guess the other way you could look at it is as a large proportion of the adult population have now had at least one vaccine dose in the UK we are at a much lower risk here so could easily welcome foreign tourists to boost the economy. As you say as long as HMG follow the data like they said they would (Covid deaths and hospital admissions being extremely low now and have been for quite some time) then there should be no problem making that June 21st full opening.

If we already aren't perhaps we should be doing the same to Germany and France as daily case numbers and deaths there are much higher then ours (12K with 94 deaths in France and 5.5k with 163 deaths in Germany from latest offical figures on the WHO site). Looks like both countries are cracking on well with their vaccine rollouts now so fingers crossed those numbers will be trending down over the summer for them.

I guess the other way you could look at it is as a large proportion of the adult population have now had at least one vaccine dose in the UK we are at a much lower risk here so could easily welcome foreign tourists to boost the economy. As you say as long as HMG follow the data like they said they would (Covid deaths and hospital admissions being extremely low now and have been for quite some time) then there should be no problem making that June 21st full opening.

Clearly both Germany and Austria are worried about the importation of the India variant of Covid-19 from UK tourists.

@Tangled up in Blue , figures are always open to manipulation and opinion of meaning, the figures HMG use are widely variable with only the hospital numbers and, in a lesser way because of the 28 day interpretation, death numbers being directly measurable against a static base figure of population.
I think there are political games by all sides in the borders, tourists "game", and this is not a platform for that discussion.
Certainly SAGA holidays may get a safer rating than 18/30 types, and travel insurance must be a headache.

Clearly since most over 60's + (even in Spain ) have now been fully vaccinated.Ironically one of our next door neighbours is flying out next weekend to start a Baltic cruise.No idea what sort of insurance premium she paid but I'm sure as an ex-Banco Sabadell employee-until she took early redundancy-she can afford it. :Winking:

Clearly both Germany and Austria are worried about the importation of the India variant of Covid-19 from UK tourists.

Will be interesting if & when USA lets us travel there this year. My eldest son lives in NY, & told me last night the supposedly amount of new cases throughout the whole country on Fri was reported at just over 21,000.
From all these, only 1% have been diagnosed with the Indian variant.

Will be interesting if & when USA lets us travel there this year. My eldest son lives in NY, & told me last night the supposedly amount of new cases throughout the whole country on Fri was reported at just over 21,000.
From all these, only 1% have been diagnosed with the Indian variant.

Yeah, obviously US citizens are a huge source of income for both France's and the UK's GDP. Haven't heard Biden make any pronouncement on the Indian variant (or opening US borders) yet.

Though I know a West Indian lass (with a Spanish passport) who's keen to visit her sister in Miami in August if they do.

Last edited:

Agreed and it's a reasonable measure for them to take with case numbers in a number of mainland european countries already being so high and with the variant first detected in India already found in Germany a month ago.

Be interesting to see how quickly (or not) the Govt. take to react to Vietnam's concerns of the Kent/India variant they appear to have identified (but be confirmed). Seem to recall Vietnam were pretty quick closing things down when this all kicked off initially so hopefully they'll be able to get a grip though not sure they're up to speed on the vaccine front.

I've just seen that.

Has France or Spain seen a rise in the Indian variant?
France is fighting against a few situations at the same time.
This measure is used to promote getting vaccines uptake increased as large parts are very reluctant.
It also, politically falls in with UK bashing and alignment with their German masters.
France has been on UK amber list so non essential travel there was best not done anyway.

See that France has now banned all British travellers from the UK from midnight.Sad.
No huge surprise really. I personally would prefer the borders closed to tourists and only open to trade both ways at least for another couple of months. I think this will be where freedom of movement may have a negative impact on mainland europe. I think this is something we will all just have to get used to living with.

As many as possible vaccinated can only be a good thing in my book

France is fighting against a few situations at the same time.
1.This measure is used to promote getting vaccines uptake increased as large parts are very reluctant.
It also, politically falls in with UK bashing and alignment with their German masters.
2.France has been on UK amber list so non essential travel there was best not done anyway.

1.While you're right about vaccine resistance in France I'd say the overall figures for vaccine take-up in both France and Spain are broadly siimilar,given that France has a far higher poulation level.

2.This just goes to show how worried most European countries (not Spain) seem to be about the India variant spreading, IMO.Spain is, of course,currently on the amber list too but would appear to have a much more relaxed take on things.

Last edited:
1.No huge surprise really. I personally would prefer the borders closed to tourists and only open to trade both ways at least for another couple of months. 2.I think this will be where freedom of movement may have a negative impact on mainland europe. I think this is something we will all just have to get used to living with.

As many as possible vaccinated can only be a good thing in my book

1.I rather think you'll get your wish but that does of course rather beg the question of UK tourists choosing to holiday abroad against HMG advice this summer.

2.Tend to agree with your other points.

Last edited:
I still think there is a fair amount of scaremongering over the “Indian Variant” to give them some wiggle room on opening up. There is a bit on the BBC site today which states

“In some areas of England - including in Bolton, Blackburn, and Sefton in north-west England and Bedford, Chelmsford and Canterbury in the South East - the Indian variant is causing the majority of infections.”

Living in Chelmsford I thought I’d look at the local figures and there were only 10 cases in total in the last week (down from 13 the week before) at a rate of just 9 cases per 100,000 people. It’s hardly going crazy is it.............

I still think there is a fair amount of scaremongering over the “Indian Variant” to give them some wiggle room on opening up. There is a bit on the BBC site today which states

“In some areas of England - including in Bolton, Blackburn, and Sefton in north-west England and Bedford, Chelmsford and Canterbury in the South East - the Indian variant is causing the majority of infections.”

Living in Chelmsford I thought I’d look at the local figures and there were only 10 cases in total in the last week (down from 13 the week before) at a rate of just 9 cases per 100,000 people. It’s hardly going crazy is it.............

I certainly hope you're right.Especially since the Health minister admitted a week ago that the Indian variant now represents 75% of the total of new infections of covid-19 in the UK.Also it spreads more quickly that the so-called Kent variant,apparently.Certainly other countries in mainland Europe don' appear to want to have anything to do with it.Given that-on previous experience- there'a time lag of a couple of weeks or so before new infections become hospitalisations, it would appear that there is possibly a case to be made for delay.

I certainly hope you're right.Especially since the Health minister admitted a week ago that the Indian variant now represents 75% of the total of new infections of covid-19 in the UK.Also it spreads more quickly that the so-called Kent variant,apparently.Certainly other countries in mainland Europe don' appear to want to have anything to do with it.Given that-on previous experience- there'a time lag of a couple of weeks or so before new infections become hospitalisations, it would appear that there is possibly a case to be made for delay.

All I can say, from what I've experienced over the last 14-15 months that the only thing guaranteed, is Covid is ****e and will probably change our lives and the way we live for ever.

Oh, and it's tearing the world apart.

Given that-on previous experience- there'a time lag of a couple of weeks or so before new infections become hospitalisations, it would appear that there is possibly a case to be made for delay.

There is absolutely no case for delaying. This has already gone on far too long than it needed to. The only people who want to delay are the celebrity scientists who would have us in permanent lockdown.

There were ZERO deaths recorded in England today and we're seriously talking about extending restrictions? We've had the Indian variant for a few weeks now and there has no been no significant increase in hospitalisations/deaths. And it appears the vast majority of those who are being hospitalised refused the vaccine, which is their choice and their risk to take.

Viruses mutate all the time, normally into almost identical versions of the original. We have to live with this thing and stop being terrified by meaningless 'case' numbers and scary new variants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back