• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the moment we have been advised that if given the AZ as the first we cannot give the Pfizer as the second dose although we can do it the other way around - Pfizer first and then AZ second but, that should only apply where the Pfizer cannot be given.
Strange I know and no doubt the guidelines will again change

Would you mind if I message you on a personal issue? Don't worry, it's nothing like that, it's vaccine related.

My wife has (finally) given up on the voluntering helping for NHS Covid " emergency" presons supposedly isolating.
The last straw was an emergency for "Sue, ", requiring her drug prescription collecting from Tesco Prince Ave to her, shieldin,g nr the airport. The traffic was awful, the reason for free prescription was "job seeker". The drugs are for depression, joint ache, appetite suppression etc.
First call and "Sue" was out and about! So return trip a while later required.
Turns out the lady is about 30yrs younger than my wife,a single mum, size XXXXL, answered the door at midday in her dressing gown...................couldn't make it up!
No car on driveway but a sofa, chair and gearbox.
My wife is still carrying on with the stewarding at the Cliffs Vac Ctr which she enjoys and are, she says, a great team.

Saw Hancock saying yesterday that 3/4 of all new Covid-19 infections in the UK were down to the new Indian variant.

They are yes, a bit of a worry.

We should have a poll when the next lockdown will be.

I totally forgot the Euro's start in two weeks, I'm sure we'll see a rise in infection rates with people in pubs eg celebrating (or not as the case may be).

They are yes, a bit of a worry.

We should have a poll when the next lockdown will be.

I totally forgot the Euro's start in two weeks, I'm sure we'll see a rise in infection rates with people in pubs eg celebrating (or not as the case may be).

FWIW, I don't think HMG will let it derail their "roadmap" and the final 21st June bonfire on restrictions.

My wife has (finally) given up on the voluntering helping for NHS Covid " emergency" presons supposedly isolating.
The last straw was an emergency for "Sue, ", requiring her drug prescription collecting from Tesco Prince Ave to her, shieldin,g nr the airport. The traffic was awful, the reason for free prescription was "job seeker". The drugs are for depression, joint ache, appetite suppression etc.
First call and "Sue" was out and about! So return trip a while later required.
Turns out the lady is about 30yrs younger than my wife,a single mum, size XXXXL, answered the door at midday in her dressing gown...................couldn't make it up!
No car on driveway but a sofa, chair and gearbox.
My wife is still carrying on with the stewarding at the Cliffs Vac Ctr which she enjoys and are, she says, a great team.

Ah the general public will always crush any hopes of doing good in the end

As mentioned earlier. No mention on the news or in the press of collapsing number cases in India, and the topping out and beginning to fall death rate.

Interesting to hear about the experience in Chile,with its excellent health service,about the danger of unlocking too soon from the current Private Eye. "At least 70 % of a country's population needs to be fully vaccinated to have a shot at herd immunity and possibly 90%. Only 26% had received both doses when infections surged" (there).

"The bottom line is that if you ease restrictions too quickly after vaccination ,you can still get large outbreaks .The good news is that with those outbreaks ,fewer people are dying than previously because of vaccination."

With R now going up above 1 again it really is a race between a surge in outbreaks of infection over the summer and widespread vaccinations,especially in younger age groups.

@Tangled up in Blue , numbers are up in UK of positive test, but more testing and targeting testing is much higher too, so what that means in general is hard to judge without more data
The, imo, key figures are hospital admissions, followed on by deaths, which are about level.
Early days but it looks okay but could go either way.

@Tangled up in Blue , numbers are up in UK of positive test, but more testing and targeting testing is much higher too, so what that means in general is hard to judge without more data
The, imo, key figures are hospital admissions, followed on by deaths, which are about level.

Absolutely this, it should stop being a casedemic now.

The vaccination programme now thankfully means the link between cases and hospitalisations/deaths is broken.

IMO if you are still getting low/medium level cases on a constant basis but hardly any of these people are getting seriously ill then it doesn't even matter. In fact you are effectively adding those people to the groups who are then immune to the virus and speed up the herd immunity process.

@GNH , I make you correct, if the new cases are fit younger people then the comparison with seasonal flu is made.
And as you post, those infected, recovered people have some immunity and add to the "herd ".

I've not seen the breakdown (a link would be grand) but from what I've read alot of the cases are in younger people and thus hospitalizations and deaths aren't rising.

@GNH , I make you correct, if the new cases are fit younger people then the comparison with seasonal flu is made.
And as you post, those infected, recovered people have some immunity and add to the "herd ".

Yep, initially the herd immunity was a disaster as too many people were getting seriously ill and dying for it to be a serious plan however it still seems to be a taboo phrase to some.

I think that it is the only way to go now if we want anything like a 'normal' life back. The Aus/NZ strategy on this, while initially a huge success, is now in danger of isolating them from the rest of the word forever. That is a far more dangerous prognosis than the virus.

Yep, initially the herd immunity was a disaster as too many people were getting seriously ill and dying for it to be a serious plan however it still seems to be a taboo phrase to some.

I think that it is the only way to go now if we want anything like a 'normal' life back. The Aus/NZ strategy on this, while initially a huge success, is now in danger of isolating them from the rest of the word forever. That is a far more dangerous prognosis than the virus.
My sisters in NZ now and they’re doing well. To be honest then and Australia are quite isolated anyway

Indeed.But we've all had to become Kreminoligists in the last year or so ie expert in reading between the lines when it comes to interpreting HMG pronouncements on Covid.FWIW, (as I've said), I don't think HMG will go back on its 21st June date.But given the current Govt. mantra is to be driven by data rather than dates,this in itself gives out a mixed message.I totally get that the GB public don't want to be kept in lockdown any longer but there's a reason (IMO) why countries like Germany (and Austria) have already banned British tourists visiting this summer (France is currently activily thinking of doing the same).

@Tangled up in Blue , figures are always open to manipulation and opinion of meaning, the figures HMG use are widely variable with only the hospital numbers and, in a lesser way because of the 28 day interpretation, death numbers being directly measurable against a static base figure of population.
I think there are political games by all sides in the borders, tourists "game", and this is not a platform for that discussion.
Certainly SAGA holidays may get a safer rating than 18/30 types, and travel insurance must be a headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back