• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worry about the numbers regarding vaccines. In the UK we have upwards of 66 million people. In the first week of vaccinations, the government reported we managed 137,000 jabs, that's way less than 1% of the population. Even if we can do a million vaccinations a week, it will take over a year to vaccinate everyone.

The figures suggest maybe it will take over four years to get everyone inoculated.
Firstly it’s not 66m as children currently won’t be vaccinated. More like 50m. Then as Tinks says, it’s going to scale up a lot after the new year, and we need the AZ one to really enable mass vaccination of the general population

Okay then, since you‘re so obviously THE expert on all things Covid-related where does it come from, and while we’re at it what are your medical and/or scientific qualifications regarding pandemics?

I haven't claimed i'm an expert. Unlike some others on here who want to silence any debate unless you agree with them.

Anyone can look up the interviews with Mike Yeadon, apart from the ones removed by youtube. The info about many failings and prosecutions of Pfizer are available even on Wikipedia, including experimenting on African children

Don't be afraid of difficult questions or opinions on a forum. And don't post sneering comments from the safety of your key board.....It really doesn't suit you.

I'm still waiting to be called for the flu vaccine, which I'm told I should be having this year! At this rate it'll be well into 2021 before I get either!
Don't wait for a phone call, over 50 is now a NHS provided jab, book a slot with Boots or a n other chemist. I doubt a phone call from your gp is coming or anywhere likely on their list of " to do" tasks.

Don't wait for a phone call, over 50 is now a NHS provided jab, book a slot with Boots or a n other chemist. I doubt a phone call from your gp is coming or anywhere likely on their list of " to do" tasks.

The chemist said they didn't have any for my age group only for over 65s and the docs, when I got through after hanging on for an hour (I kid you not!) told me they don't have them yet for my age group unless vulnerable and to try the chemist! They said I will either get a letter from the NHS or a text from them.

I phoned my GP end Sept, was 15th in queue, Probably would have been on hold for ages. So booked one at Boots in Hadleigh for £13.99, which they did beginning of Oct & i'm 63.

I phoned my GP end Sept, was 15th in queue, Probably would have been on hold for ages. So booked one at Boots in Hadleigh for £13.99, which they did beginning of Oct & i'm 63.
Boots tried to charge my brother in law, he is over 50, they quickly corrected that when he quoted the Guv guidelines, they were trying it on, maybe looking for two payments?
We had ours at Boots in the Royals, easy appointment to book but the pharmacist didn't seem to be too aware of administration and free to age group stuff.

Boots tried to charge my brother in law, he is over 50, they quickly corrected that when he quoted the Guv guidelines, they were trying it on, maybe looking for two payments?
We had ours at Boots in the Royals, easy appointment to book but the pharmacist didn't seem to be too aware of administration and free to age group stuff.

To be honest i didn't think of the Gov guidelines, they were offering it for that price, which i thought was ok & booked it. First one i've ever had!.
Interestingly the week before my son in NY ( who knows everything! ), said he wondered what strain they would use this year, as the WHO wait until the first country to have come out of winter ( ie Australia ) & to see what flu virus they had, & inject with that particular one.
Supposedly because of the social distancing, wearing face masks etc, Australia didn't experience a mass outbreak this year!. ( Their winter mainly between May-Sept ).
I mentioned this to the pharmacist at the time, & he said my son was correct with his comment, so this year WHO decided to vaccine with the 4 most common strains of flu we usually get!.

Firstly it’s not 66m as children currently won’t be vaccinated. More like 50m. Then as Tinks says, it’s going to scale up a lot after the new year, and we need the AZ one to really enable mass vaccination of the general population

From my limited understanding we are not looking at having to vaccinate the entire population to make thing 'safe' are we?

Once theose that are deemed vulnerable have received their two doses then the likelyhood that people will become seriously ill and hospitalised with it are vastly reduced.

Then things can start to go back to normal and the NHS will treat those unfortunate enough to still need treatment. The same way they do with every other virus about,

I pray that they are not trying to say it needs eradicating to allow us to remove our masks or return to social interaction as this is pretty much impossible since this virus is now endemic in society. I will never support that approach and will not abide by that.

From my limited understanding we are not looking at having to vaccinate the entire population to make thing 'safe' are we?

Once theose that are deemed vulnerable have received their two doses then the likelyhood that people will become seriously ill and hospitalised with it are vastly reduced.

Then things can start to go back to normal and the NHS will treat those unfortunate enough to still need treatment. The same way they do with every other virus about,

I pray that they are not trying to say it needs eradicating to allow us to remove our masks or return to social interaction as this is pretty much impossible since this virus is now endemic in society. I will never support that approach and will not abide by that.

I personally don't think things will go back to normal as we use too know it. This has opened so many eyes about the spread of viruses and the wearing of masks to reduce any spread.

We're going to be living in a different world where wearing masks will become the norm.

Even at 50m, we would need to do seven or eight times as many vaccinations as we are doing at the moment per week to complete the task inside a year. And bearing mind each person needs two hits of the vaccine, logistically i really can't see how this can be done much before the end of 2022.

Last edited:
Press conference from the PM due at 4pm.

Prepare for further restrictions, house arrest seems about right

Not in my world they wont

Nor mine.

I know they’re common place in the Far East, but that’s attributed to their history of viruses - which is a lot worse than ours - aswell as their high pollution rates.

Anyway, it’s not something I expect will catch on here. Once we get the proverbial all-clear, I expect masks will be discarded by the overwhelming majority.

They can announce whatever they like, but enforcing It will be another thing altogether.

The fact is, the “lockdown” (if you could call it that), during November was a failure. It was designed to drastically reduce the R number, just as it did in April/May. That would have allowed a semi-normal Christmas, with the risks being greatly reduced. But it barely bought us any breathing space.

We waited too long to implement that lockdown, and even then it was only a handful of people/industries that were really affected. It should have come into place end of September, start of October, and it should have been essential work only, just as it was back in Spring.

That lost time & the half-arsed nature of it, meant it didn’t have the desired effect, and now we’re about to experience prolonged, tougher restrictions, which could have been avoided.

It’s just been a case of incompetence all round.

Nor mine.

I know they’re common place in the Far East, but that’s attributed to their history of viruses - which is a lot worse than ours - aswell as their high pollution rates.

Anyway, it’s not something I expect will catch on here. Once we get the proverbial all-clear, I expect masks will be discarded by the overwhelming majority.

I beg to differ, I think the more mature/intelligent people would continue to wear them, It takes seconds to put on a mask.

Seems we may be heading that way or he may say the 5 day easing of restrictions over Xmas won’t be easing

I have just been speaking to a colleague of mine who reports some of the care homes across Southend, Castle Point, Rochford & Rayleigh have all seen a significant increase in positive cases with both the residents and care staff

They can announce whatever they like, but enforcing It will be another thing altogether.

The fact is, the “lockdown” (if you could call it that), during November was a failure. It was designed to drastically reduce the R number, just as it did in April/May. That would have allowed a semi-normal Christmas, with the risks being greatly reduced. But it barely bought us any breathing space.

We waited too long to implement that lockdown, and even then it was only a handful of people/industries that were really affected. It should have come into place end of September, start of October, and it should have been essential work only, just as it was back in Spring.

That lost time & the half-arsed nature of it, meant it didn’t have the desired effect, and now we’re about to experience prolonged, tougher restrictions, which could have been avoided.

It’s just been a case of incompetence all round.
Totally agree. We are supposedly in Tier 3 but to be honest it doesn’t feel like any restrictions other than not going to football or the pub.
Maybe he should take a lead out of Italy whereby you are not allowed to leave your home other than medical, shopping (one person only) or if you are in a key worker job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back